GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone on the forum! I've been lurking around here for quite awhile and have found some good info. Thought it might be time to sign on. I've been riding since I was 11 (north of 50 now) and I'm always willing to learn something new about this hobby/sport of ours.

My wife and I just completed a 3600 mile loop that went as far west as the Grand Canyon and then up to the Four Corners area. Stayed in Durango and did the San Juan loop, Mesa Verde and the train.

Had to have the rear tire replaced in Durango due to a cut and can't say enough about Handlebar Motorsports. Great service and super nice people. Thinking about going dark, but will probably use up most of the 'Stone I had put on in Colorado.

Temps were great everywhere but Texas. Great fun and would go again today if I could.

Mike

·
Registered
559 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I bet it was nice to get away from the heat in Louisiana and Texas.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Welcome to the Madd House. :a13:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
WELCOME to the forum.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mike! I'm glad you had a great trip! Sorry to hear you had to get a new tire though!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Welcome...:yes::yes::yes:...Let the fun begin...or in your case...Continue...:flg:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome.

Terryg - I'm in Vidalia. Not very far from you for sure!

As far as the heat goes, Texas was trying real hard to kill us! We left Dalhart a little before 6:00 AM and it was 61*. By around 10:00, it was already bumping 100. My wife got too hot around Decatur when it was 106, so we shut it down, got a room and finished the trip home at midnight. It was still 88. Louisiana was cool by comparison!:eek:

About the tire, I was very lucky that it never went down. Just had a cut that started as a very small nick and got steadily worse. My Dad is a seasoned Winger and he taught me to check my tires every morning. Glad I listened to him.

Mike

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Welcome to the fun. Glad you joined in!

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Welcome aboard.

BTW have they ever paved the interstates in La. ?? Especially I-20 out of Vicksburg, Ms. sippy ??

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Welcome

Welcome Mike ... Good info and people on this forum ... enjoy!

Donnie

·
Registered
956 Posts
I was wondering who that was hiding in the corner over there!

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Welcome to the NUTHOUSE...

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Welcome to the house of loons. I am 72 and live in Texas. The heat affects me much more than when I was younger.

I recently bought and wear a vest filled with water under a mesh jacket. Not the bad ass biker look I want, but at my age who cares. Recently rode in 103 temps through North Texas and Oklahoma, but the vest and jacket kept me cool and very comfortable for 2.5 hours at a time. When I would gas up I would soak the vest again and be good to go.

Liked the vest so much I bought my son one and he actually uses it.

Vest can be bought at www.ridersneeds.com for $32.88 plus $6.00 shipping.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts