GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am a new guy that found this forum doing a search for timing belt changes on an 1800 (then found out they have chains!). A couple of years ago I swapped my older sport bike for my first ever even older touring bike, an 81 Gold Wing. For someone who has had motorcycles of some flavor for 42 years, I just had never tried a touring machine. I really had not been riding much at all the last couple of years before the Gold Wing so I thought I would try a tourer and at worst it would just set around to. I rode 2K-3K miles on the wing which does not sound like much but that was tons more than I had done in the previous couple of years. See I love the sport bikes but putting my fat butt, and non-flexible body on them now at my age after about 30 minutes, I want to put it on a trailer and take it home!

Anyway I liked riding the old Gold Wing so much, I wanted to get one with more features like a radio, etc, etc. I was looking in the local ads and I saw a 2005 that I am going to check out. That is newer (and more money) than I was thinking but on paper at least it seemed like a decent value. Question for you folks, anything specific you would be looking for in a used 2005? I have worked on motorcycles for years but I have little experience with Gold Wings and none with 1800s. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Just make sure the brake recall and any other recalls have been done. I would check the service records if any and replace all the fluids and tires unless they have been done recently. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
New Guy

WELCOME to the Forum. There are different options on different year wings. I believe any 1800 wing is a great wing. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
What part of western PA are you from? Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
818 Posts
2005 Wing

I put over 90,000 trouble free miles on mine. Had a recall on left saddlebag latch and the brake recall. I believe the 2005 was the most maintenance/trouble free year made so far.
It served me well riding 2-up and pulling a Bushtec trlr.

Don't hesitate to purchase one that is in good shape.

Just my opinion, others will vary I'm sure.

Jim

·
Registered
466 Posts
good year

2005 was a good year for Goldwings. Some upgrades in 2006, like better FM radio and minor changes but nothing to write home about. The GL 1800s are all about bullet proof. If properly maintained high mileage is not a bad factor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What part of western PA are you from? Welcome to the group.
A little north of you, just south of Punxy. Some years ago I had shot some matches in more or less your area; Sidmans I think was the name of the area??

·
Registered
247 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a former Pa. resident, (Clarion County). There's a lot of good info and reading on this site, if you like to wrench I suggest buying Fred Harmon's maintenance DVD's. Check and ask for maintenance records on whatever your looking at.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I too ride a 2005 model as you read these posts you won't read nothing on the 2005. Out of all the 1800's the 05 seams to be the most trouble free year made I would say go for it if it's in good condition. Good Luck in buying it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the replies. I haven't seen the 2005 in person yet. The current owner is about my age, bought it new, and told me he changed oil every 3000 and used Honda 4-stroke conventional (non-synthetic) oil. It has set for the last year as he is no longer able to ride due to leg-knee issues and that is why he is selling. I will ask about service records but my guess is they will be limited.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
:agree:

The 2005 year (for unknown reason) has a much lower percentage of transmission issues, ECU, frame, or any other issues. I think Honda considered the 05 model year (all bikes manufactured after July, 2004) "second generation" as-far-as reliability was concerned, and addressed many of the original issues... some up front (like the frame) and others quietly/unadvertised. Why 2006/2007 models seem to (again) have more issues overall is a mystery.

I purchased my 05 in March, 2009 after doing detailed research. My main goal was the search for total reliability... as non-issue a bike as was possible for the GL1800. I came to the conclusion that 2005 was absolutely the best model year. My bike currently has 70k on it, and except for annoying "sticky" switchgear, have had absolutely -zero- warrenty type problems. Merely some occasional wear-and-tear concerns on the finish. If my 05 got totaled tomorrow, I'd immediately start looking for a replacement 05! You will find the GL1800 much more "athletic" than previous models, or any other brand/model of touring bike for that matter. It's no sport bike, but really handles great for the intended purpose. Like me, you won't desire to go back to anything else after a few trips.

:bow: Good hunting.

I too ride a 2005 model as you read these posts you won't read nothing on the 2005. Out of all the 1800's the 05 seams to be the most trouble free year made I would say go for it if it's in good condition. Good Luck in buying it.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
New bike

Obwan is from Seward, and I am in Johnstown. I get up your way several times each summer. If you get down close to Johnstown, give me a shout and we will ride together or have a coffee / cold drink. 814-931-0916 Gary

A little north of you, just south of Punxy. Some years ago I had shot some matches in more or less your area; Sidmans I think was the name of the area??

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
:agree: I'll ditto this. I purchased my '05 used in 2009 with 24,000 miles on it and I have put on 40,000 more trouble-free miles. It is a great bike and I love it.

This is a great forum to get information about the GL1800s. Lots of knowledgeable folks willing to share what they know.

Welcome!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really good to hear about all of the positive comments related to the 2005. Heck even my old 81, 1100 Interstate, I think runs great for its age. I am looking forward to looking at the 2005 and I will let you all know the outcome.

Just a quick question, any recommendations on oil? I know some folks like some Zinc in the oil without going too far. I know Mobil 1 MC oils are in the 1200 - 1700 PPM Zinc additives range give or take but I don't know how much Zinc is too much? I think I used regular Valvoline motorcycle oil in the 81 and was satisfied with it. Again, many thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Obwan is from Seward, and I am in Johnstown. I get up your way several times each summer. If you get down close to Johnstown, give me a shout and we will ride together or have a coffee / cold drink. Gary
Sounds good Gary. You guys are getting me more pumped about the 2005!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
NO! NOT OIL QUESTIONS! This thread just went to hell, LOL! welcome aboard, my G/F's family is from Punxy and we are up that way a few times a summer. Hope to see you out and about. We need to get the PA riders together more for rides.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Hi all,
I am a new guy that found this forum doing a search for timing belt changes on an 1800 (then found out they have chains!). A couple of years ago I swapped my older sport bike for my first ever even older touring bike, an 81 Gold Wing. For someone who has had motorcycles of some flavor for 42 years, I just had never tried a touring machine. I really had not been riding much at all the last couple of years before the Gold Wing so I thought I would try a tourer and at worst it would just set around to. I rode 2K-3K miles on the wing which does not sound like much but that was tons more than I had done in the previous couple of years. See I love the sport bikes but putting my fat butt, and non-flexible body on them now at my age after about 30 minutes, I want to put it on a trailer and take it home!

Anyway I liked riding the old Gold Wing so much, I wanted to get one with more features like a radio, etc, etc. I was looking in the local ads and I saw a 2005 that I am going to check out. That is newer (and more money) than I was thinking but on paper at least it seemed like a decent value. Question for you folks, anything specific you would be looking for in a used 2005? I have worked on motorcycles for years but I have little experience with Gold Wings and none with 1800s. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum .
All gl1800 are great bikes even if miss treated a little. 2001 too 2005 are basically the same . A lot of guys like abs brakes but the wing gas a standard duel linked braking system anyway.
In 2006 Honda added a bigger radio amp and navigation and in 2009 xm with live weather radar and live traffic .
I would at least go for a 2006 with navigation. Should be about 500 to 1000 more.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts

1 - 20 of 55 Posts