GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!

My name is Steve McKenna and I’m located in Vancouver, BC. I’ve been riding a 1991 Yamaha Venture for the last 11 years but it’s time to move up to a new or at least newish GL1800.

My venture is up for sale and I’m starting my Wing search this weekend. First stop will be the local dealers to check their pricing and learn how the factory options are packaged these days etc (are the option packages listed here on the site somewhere?). Then I’ll check on my options for used bikes.

Are there any issues with say the 2004 to 2006s that I should be aware of in my search?

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
601 Posts
Welcome Steve,

Great trade up, You should love the Goldwing.
I am not aware of 2004 to 2006 models, but from what I have read there are no major issues on any of them.
Just the wobble, some have it, some don't.
Mine does, it was worse before I had the E3 installed on the front a couple of weeks ago.

Ride Safely... 8)

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
WELCOME...Steve

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Welcome!
You're choosing a great bike that comes with this great community.
I had a '03 GL1800 that had recalls for ECM and frame weld? I had both done with no problems and sold the bike after 22k trouble free miles. I'm back on a '05 and have 16k trouble free miles on it. The wobble does seem to be hit/or miss. I have 2 friends who just traded their '03 GL1800's in for '06's one has the wobble the other doesn't. I've owned lots of bikes over the years and at 43yrs old am loving the wing!

Steve

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm really looking forward to getting the wing. It's been a dream for a long time and that dream comes true very soon I hope!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
If you want ABS and not have to buy the built in Nav system then you should look for an 05. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the group, Steve. I know what you mean about the dream of having a Wing. I had that dream for about 15 years..and finally got mine in July.

Couldn't be happier...only wish I could have gotten one when I was younger. :)

Dep

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TopGun said:
Hello Steve,

WELCOME Steve. I have a 2004 with low trouble free miles (7200). Here's a link to some of the Honda reported issues and recalls that the sponsor of this board posts for reference to all members: http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7
Thanks TopGun. Too bad the link doesn't work.... ;-) No worries though!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Whoops .... I forgot. You have to become a member of this Usergroup. Just log in and Click on 'Usergroups' up above here and subscribe to the Honda Service Information usergroup. You will then be able to open my link and another Message Board will appear in your main forum selection.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Steve,
there are 3 new wings for sale in Victoria.
black & gold at Action Motorcycles (I believe the black is a demo so there will be some savings.)
gold at SG Power.

Canadian bikes list at $29K (nav & abs models only). Most dealers will sell for 27K.

good luck.

P

·
0 Posts
Welcome Steve,

Just a warnng, the price of the bike is only the beginning. There is a vast variety of add on that can make one a bit crazy. Chrome, electroics, trailers suspesion upgrades, lights,....the list goes on and on. :)

The bike handles incredibly and the power is very satisfying. Maintainance once learned is easy enough and you'll find yourself going to the garage just to look at the new bike and grin.

Many happy miles on the new two to ya.

Pat

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Welcome to the group and the Goldwing world....I called Honda about recalls when I bought my 04....Mine only had a brake problem and it was fixed...I wasn't in the group that had frame crack recalls.....So the only problem I have with my 04 Titanium GW is not enough weekend days to spend on it !!! I wish weekends were at least 4 days long.......Also,,Titanium is the smoothest color !!!!!Henry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts