GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. As you can tell from the thread title, I'm a new guy. New to Goldwing, new to this board. I've spent a few hours perusing this board over the last several days and decided it would be a good idea to join.

About 7 or 8 years ago I started toying with the idea of getting a street bike. 3 years ago I finally decided to stop messing around and do it. I took the MSF course, then went out and bought a Black, 1987 Yamaha XV535 Virago. That worked out for less than a year. By the next Spring (2007) I went looking for something a little bigger. I found a nice 94 VT1100C Shadow in cream and red color. I kinda like the Shadow, except that it's 4 speed.

Last fall, a guy at work decided he might sell his Valkyrie Interstate with matching trailer this spring. I told him I'd buy it if he decided to sell. Well, in January he let me know he was going to sell the Valk. I started getting money together but, the day before I was prepared to hand him the cash, he sold it to somebody else. I was pretty peeved, but hey, that's the breaks, right.

At any rate, my wife and I started looking at other bikes. She only spent about 2 hours total on the back of the Shadow. Not that I can really blame her. It's not the most comfortable thing for 2 up. I had ocassionally thought about looking at Goldwings, but never too seriously. I'd only even seen a couple of them close-up. Well, the wife and I were at the local Honda dealership and they had 2 used Goldwings. Both blue. One was an 01 with a Bushtec trailer, the other was an 05. We were seriously looking at the 01, mainly because of the trailer. I really want to do some touring, but figure a trailer will be a must for anything over a few days, with the wife along.

I did a lot of reading about Goldwings, then we went over to the dealer to see if we could make a deal. I told my wife before we got there that we would make the deal first, then test ride after. After everything I had read, I felt that if I rode first, I'd pay them anything they wanted to ask. Needless to say, we came to an agreement and I climbed on the bike for my test ride. I'll admit I was quite nervous. The biggest bike I'd ridden was the Shadow. 1100cc and about 600 lb. Here I was getting on an 1800 at about 800 lb.

Everything I read about this bike doesn't do it justice. This thing rides, handles, accelerates, like a dream. It corners 10 times better than my shadow. I'm pretty sure I've never been "giddy" in my life, prior to that moment. I got back to the dealer and took my helmet off. The sales lady asked, "Well, what do you think?" I'm sure she didn't need to ask. I had a grin on my face so big it was nearly painful. I don't think I stopped grinning all night.

That was last Tuesday, 10-Feb. We completed the paperwork and I rode home in the beginning of a snow storm. Got home and put my new Wing in the garage. There it sits, because it's snowed every day since. I want to ride so bad I can taste it, but haven't been able to yet. I guess that's what I get for buying a bike in February, in Colorado.

So, here's the bike:
05 GL1800 ABS (Still not positive about the ABS, but figured it would be okay to give it a try)
7650 miles on the odometer
The only add on is a passenger audio and CB control (though there is no CB on the bike)

A little long winded, but now you know my story.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
CONGRATS!!! :congrats:

Now the fun begins...Ohh I don't mean riding, I mean BUYING add on's!!!!:coffee1:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
:congrats: They are surely a modern marvel! Welcome to the FUNNY FARM too!
I really like riding my wing also.

Ride safe, ride often.

Shadow1

Hal

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As you can guess, I've already been looking at add-on stuff to buy. Not sure where to start. There's so much stuff and so few $$. Gonna have to wait until I have a few miles on it to help set priorities. (Pegs, running boards, seats, passenger stuff(arm wrests, cup holders, etc.) handlebar risers, "toys". The list is infinite.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Welcome! Yes the Wing is awesome. The accessories are all personal preference, it's what makes you happy. You'll melt your credit card, I did. Have fun and ride safe.:congrats:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hal is the Goldwing guru, he sponsors this and other boards along with Direct Line Parts (click on the bulls eye at the top of the page), great deals and great service.

·
Registered
139 Posts
New Bike

:congrats: You'll be wearing your wallet or your credit card out. Have FUN!....John :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been drooling at directlineparts already. Just need to figure out what I have to get first.

Hal, sorry for my ignorance. Thanks for the board. This is an excellent place.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Congrats on the the Wing and welcome to the group. Nice story, hopefully the weather will clear up and you can let it out of the garage.

·
Registered
19,062 Posts
Most probably that CB control on the left is stock. Take it easy. Preactice take a trailer course and enjoy

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
I've been drooling at directlineparts already. Just need to figure out what I have to get first.

Hal, sorry for my ignorance. Thanks for the board. This is an excellent place.

kgriff,
welcome to the asylum. This is probably the most active GW board you will find. As you are finding out if you ask a question here you will get virtually immediate responses. There is a lot of experience to draw from.:bow:
Direct Line Parts (DLP) and Honda Direct Line (HDL) are the two places that I buy most of my accessories and OEM parts respectively. Both sites have a "wish list" section so you can keep a list of things you want and prioritize your future purchases. You can also share the wish lists with people who might want to buy you something.:lol:
Ride safe.

·
Registered
211 Posts
:congrats::congrats: Your description of the first ride on an 1800 speaks for a lot of folks:thumbup: Hope you enjoy your new ride as much as i do mine. This is a great board with great people and info.

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
That's a great story that many of us had heard before. You did good making the deal before riding the bike!

Congrats on the new scoot and welcome to the party.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Riding a Wing in Colorado is the most enjoyable experience in my lifetime! You made the right choice, as you know. Welcome to the insanity :eek:4:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride, kgriff, and don't let em talk you into all those farkling add-ons. All you really need is footpegs, backreset, ipod and controls, seat pad and . . . (never mind).

:congrats:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts