GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wow--$57 a pair. That's kind of pricey isn't it"? Wonder how long they will last?:shock:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
As I stated before, I'm pretty dense, so some one usually has to explain to me.
Went to the web sight for the HIR bulbs.
It explains the the infrared lining to reflect the energy emitted by the filament back inside to re-heat the filament ... causing the bulb to glow much brighter than normal halogen bulbs.
Then the next statement is it produces 75% of light output of the HID bulbs.
So how is the HIR glowing brighter than normal halogen bulb but, only producing 75% of the light output:shrug:

·
Registered
581 Posts
HIDs are not Halogens. Hids are are hi voltage units with ballist that convert 12 volts into bunches(how that for hi tech talk) more for a very hi out put light.

There are a number of hi output lights that use the same wattage as they stock bulbs.

I have used the Sylvania Silver stars and my current and favorite bulbs are the PIAA Extreme Whites. Right around 50 a pair and I feel they are well worth it.
I have all four installed. I have them in my 78 Wing and wifes car and van as well.
I amy however switch to the HID set up. They have come down in price and are pretty dependable.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
As I stated before, I'm pretty dense, so some one usually has to explain to me.
Went to the web sight for the HIR bulbs.
It explains the the infrared lining to reflect the energy emitted by the filament back inside to re-heat the filament ... causing the bulb to glow much brighter than normal halogen bulbs.
Then the next statement is it produces 75% of light output of the HID bulbs.
So how is the HIR glowing brighter than normal halogen bulb but, only producing 75% of the light output:shrug:
What they are saying is that it is brighter than a standard halogen, and nearly as bright as an HID.

I'm skeptical. increasing brightness means increasing the heat on the filament. Increasing the heat reduces lifespan. I have wasted enough money on high performance bulbs. The drawbacks outweigh the slight increase in performance. These companies should be investing their money in LED development, not designing gimmicks for a dying technology.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
What they are saying is that it is brighter than a standard halogen, and nearly as bright as an HID.

I'm skeptical. increasing brightness means increasing the heat on the filament. Increasing the heat reduces lifespan. I have wasted enough money on high performance bulbs. These companies should be investing their money in LED development, not designing gimmicks for a dying technology.
Thanks Larry-my feeble mind finally comprehended the statements were about 2 different light sources. Boy, this getting old is terrible!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts