GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi and thanks in advance for any helpful tips

I currently ride a 2007 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic.

It's a great bike and I love it. My wife rides a 2011 Sportster Ultra Low.

We'd like to take longer trips together so even though my Softail is capable of going two up, it is not very comfortable for two up riding for hours at a time.

I have the opportunity to purchase a used 2005 Honda Anniversary Edition Goldwing with just over 13000 miles on it for $13,499 at a dealership.

I have not taken it out for a test drive. However I did test drive a 2014 Honda F6B and that definetly was not the bike for me, throttle response was crazy quick, and the wind blast was horrible on the freeway.

My questions are:

1. Is this a fair price for the bike, it looks to be in excellent condition, BUT maybe someone could tell me some telltale signs to look for when I go to test ride it.

2. The dealership says they do an oil change and safety inspection but nothing more with their used bikes. Someone traded this one in on a Harley but it was not serviced there so they have no service records. Is there anything I should bring it to a Honda service repair place to check for right away?

Any and all help will be appreciated. I just turned 62 and my wife will retire this year and we can do some extended two up rides and that 2005 Goldwing looks mighty appealing...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
564 Posts
That's a low mileage bike for an '05 Wing. KBB is around $13K, so if you get the dealer down to that and it has any options on it, that should be a good buy. You're going to find out that even the '05 is going to have more response then your soft tail.

At 13K, I'd be leary that the air filter and lower end oil has never been changed. Changing the lower end oil is a piece of cake, but the air cleaner is another story. Plenty of videos out there on how to do it. Cruiseman has one of the better ones. If you are any kind of mechanic, you should be able to do it in 3 hours or so. Good way to get to know how the bike is put together too.

Welcome to the forum!!! You'll love the Wing! ;)

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Any year Goldwing will do you great and you can find them low mileage on the for sale board starting around $9000 I just bought a perfect 02 Illusion blue for $9500 with 31000 miles so check out the for sale board May have to go back a few pages. Remember some Goldwings have over 400000 miles and still perform well they a bullet proof

Some for under $9000 one with Trailer in Tx a friend of long time board member who can tell you all about it. If you find one post on here and someone in the local area will be glad to check it our for a second opinion. Most all you can fly in and ride out they will meet you at the Airport. I would really look at the one in TX just out side of College Park simple because I know the guy on the board so believe anything he says.

Some in NC not far from you

·
Registered
405 Posts
at 13900 its not a great deal on an 05 i have seen 08 at 14,000 it depends on several things 1st what level is it 1 through 4 and what extras does it have a cb radio is 1000 and as you know chrome is expensise as well but not worth much in a trade but a dealer will try to use it for their own plus

·
Registered
405 Posts
I know its more money but a great deal (-Traxxion "Full Monty" at 15K miles ) $2500.00 add on alone and really changes the ride and handling of a wing its listed here on the classified section

[h=2]
'08 Goldwing - Titanium Silver - Level 4 - 25K Miles - Reduced[/h]
I bought this bike as a new over stock in August of 2010, it is show room and warranteed through August 2017 and includes:

-Traxxion "Full Monty" at 15K miles
-Corbin Heated Seat
-LED Fog Lights
-American Luggage Rack (Black)
-Kuryakan Ergo II Cruise Pegs
-PIAA Bulbs
-Honda Analog Volt Meter
-Exhaust Tips
-Kuryakan License Plate Holder
-12V DC Socket Trunk Kit
- Maintenance records and Manuals

I have over $28,500 invested, the first $18,500 takes it!​

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would say ride it and see if you like it. I would check and see if it had any handlebar shake or wobble at around 40mph. I bought an 03 that shook bad. I had to change the steering stem bearings to fix. I think this is a fairly common problem with some of the wings, but I now own an 02 that didn't have any wobble at all but it only has 5,000 miles on it. It was a garage queen.Also if you don't know ,Honda made some changes in 06.They have better sound systems and a different alternator drive gear system and maybe some more things, I don't know.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
For disclosure, I have a 2006 for sale, so take that into consideration when you read my response.

For a bare bones '05, $14k is rather high IMHO. There were changes in the '06 model that improved several issues that were known to the earlier versions. Larger radiators dealt with a heating tendency SOME older bikes experienced at slower speeds in high temps. The alternator drive gear and damper were redesigned to respond to a flaw in the older higher mileage models that let the ADG fall apart, requiring the removal of the engine and rear case dismantling to correct. This CAN be a problem in a small minority of these bikes, but the entire system has been redesigned in the '06 and up, including as someone else pointed out the alternator runs a bit higher rpms and I believe has a larger amperage output.

Add to that an upgraded sound system and if I were you I would look for heated grips and seat as well. Part of a comfort package on the upper levels.

The amenities that are must haves IMHO are CB, as pointed out $1000, foot pegs $2-300, backrest, $2-300, two up riding will require armrests $2-300.

Extras are valuable IF they are what you want and would add. Anything you would add anyway needs to be added to what you would pay or subtracted from what they are asking if not present.

Search in the classifieds here and in the completed and sold eBay auctions and find out real values might be. Add in delivery or transportation to ride home and you will have a good number.

grain of salt: did I mention I have an '06 for sale on the board?

:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Depending on what you want to spend. I would start on the low end for an 06 model, try and get it loaded with everything available. Good price to start at would be around 12,000, add about 1,500.00 for 07 on up for each newer model. Good luck, I would watch this forum, some good bikes come up for sale.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Personally I would look for a 2006> they have the better stereo, nav etc and would buy from a private party to save on sales tax (depending on what state your in)

Just did a little looking on one of the CL search engines. As long as the bike has a legit service history I would not worry... Remember you could always have a dealer inspect prior to purchase

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/4389002628.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/4399595374.html ****

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/4392573551.html this would be nice if you could swing it!

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/4385992868.html

to name a few ;-)

Bottom line take your time ;-)

Personally I have always preferred the ABS models ..

Hi and thanks in advance for any helpful tips

I currently ride a 2007 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic.

It's a great bike and I love it. My wife rides a 2011 Sportster Ultra Low.

We'd like to take longer trips together so even though my Softail is capable of going two up, it is not very comfortable for two up riding for hours at a time.

I have the opportunity to purchase a used 2005 Honda Anniversary Edition Goldwing with just over 13000 miles on it for $13,499 at a dealership.

I have not taken it out for a test drive. However I did test drive a 2014 Honda F6B and that definetly was not the bike for me, throttle response was crazy quick, and the wind blast was horrible on the freeway.

My questions are:

1. Is this a fair price for the bike, it looks to be in excellent condition, BUT maybe someone could tell me some telltale signs to look for when I go to test ride it.

2. The dealership says they do an oil change and safety inspection but nothing more with their used bikes. Someone traded this one in on a Harley but it was not serviced there so they have no service records. Is there anything I should bring it to a Honda service repair place to check for right away?

Any and all help will be appreciated. I just turned 62 and my wife will retire this year and we can do some extended two up rides and that 2005 Goldwing looks mighty appealing...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
New Here

WELCOME to the forum. Good Luck finding a Goldwing that you will be happy with. Be safe and enjoy thee ride. Larry

·
Registered
938 Posts
Why not rent a Wing for a day and go for a long ride with your bride to be sure you both will like it. (you will). I rented a wing 2 separate times to be sure it's what I wanted. Then you won't need to test ride it far to know what your are getting. Looks like these folks in Fresno rent Wings. http://www.roadflyer.com/emcrentals.htm

That price on the 05 is high but all dealers will be.

Always better off buying private and there are plenty of good wings to pick from here and other places such as cycletrader and craigslist.

A private seller usually has added extras but they really are not worth that much more when selling so you win over buying a stock bike and spending the big bucks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do Your Homework!!!

Gold Wing prices are out of control!! Too many "farkles" not enough bang for the buck! Gold Wings outlast all touring bikes with almost no problems if properly maintained.
Many used for sale by owner beat all dealer prices.

Lee Ullmann
Casa Grande,AZ

·
Registered
502 Posts
An 05 Wing is the best year Wing you can buy it seam to have the least amount of problems that other year Wings seam to have. The price seams a little high but I'm sure you can work out a deal with the dealer that would satisfy both of you and if not there are a lot other 05 Wing out there for sale. Good Luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
2005 Model Upgrades??

Big Bill--

I see no real changes on the"05 Wing---what makes it more trouble free? I have not seen any improvements from the earlier models. Care to point them out???

Lee Ullmann
Casa Grande, Az

·
Chard Member
12,966 Posts
Big Bill--

I see no real changes on the"05 Wing---what makes it more trouble free? I have not seen any improvements from the earlier models. Care to point them out???

Lee Ullmann
Casa Grande, Az
I'm not Bill but look at the list of recalls and service bulletins on the pre '05s.

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
736 Posts
06 and newer is the way to go, as mentioned better improvements and less recalls!

I'm not Bill but look at the list of recalls and service bulletins on the pre '05s.

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
2005 was the last year for only 2 Wings available. ABS and Non-ABS. For some of us... that makes it the best year of choice. Depending on what you want... some of us don't want the extra foo foo stereo, heated grips and seat, or GPS system that many are not too happy with.
You can put me in the camp of those who want to add "our own choice" of accessories. That being said, all year GL1800 WIngs will give great service. Just depends on what factory add-on's you want or need.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
163 Posts
62MCRider, tried to message you in time. That 2008 level 3 went for 12,876.00. And it was in Ca. It was a very nice low mileage bike, from a dealer.

Bradg

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
The price is top $ for a 2005 , and with so few miles you have to wonder what has it been doing all these years, just sitting for years is not the best for any machine and these wings were made to ride , goodluck on your search ,did 8500 mile coast to coast on my 01 150,000 miles on it .. Love the wing

1 - 20 of 21 Posts