GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to everyone.

I am not a wing-owner as of yet...but am in serious shopping mode to become one. My wife and I are past HD owners-riders, mine was an 05 Road Glide, hers was an 06 1200 Sportster Custom. We’ve ridden across this great country and we’ve towed a Mini mate camper behind the Road Glide. I loved my Road Glide, but have always claimed if you want the ultimate touring machine then get a Goldwing...
I try to do as much research BEFORE pulling the trigger on anything...key word is “try.” Now as I‘m researching I’m ponding to either purchase a “previously-enjoyed” or opt for a new one?

My research has opened my eyes to some potential concerns about transmission issues with the 2001-2017 model years vs. 2018-current model years and the manual vs. dct. I’m not trying to start a war here but I’m interested in hearing your opinions.

I‘ve searched this forum (and others) for as much as I can to make an educated decision and also understand how the “role-of-the dice” works and taking chances. Just trying to protect the hard earned penny as I know you all do as well.

We own a lot of Honda product and have thought highly of their reliability reputation.

Thanks for listening...

We wave to all...

Rmatey

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Please DONT take my post as a criticism of Honda or the Wing. I’m a huge fan of the Wing and most definitely want one in my stable.

Thanks again for listening

We wave to all...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I would not hesitate with buying a less than new wing. The problems that you speak of while true are few and far between. You can "look" at a bike and see if it has been taken care of. There is usually after market warranty than can be purchased if the bike is not too old. Before you buy check and see if they're a board member or if one is close by to come give it a look as well.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
If you can afford a new one why would you consider buying a used one? I'm still waiting to win the Powerball to buy a new one. I bought a well-maintained '06 back in 2012. I have since added 95k miles to the odometer without any major problems or regrets.

Reactions: Some Old Dude

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ve nothing to add accept welcome to the forum. Just bought my first Wing (2006 Gl1800P) with 79,000 miles on it and couldn’t be happier with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can afford a new one why would you consider buying a used one? I'm still waiting to win the Powerball to buy a new one. I bought a well-maintained '06 back in 2012. I have since added 95k miles to the odometer without any major problems or regrets.
Hi Jack...
Thanks for your response. I’m currently in the research phase and would agree with you that a new wing commands a hefty price tag. I’m not opposed to purchasing a well-maintained and good conditioned used one, especially with the longevity reputation a wing has, especially about their “bulletproof“ engines. When the issue of some individuals experiencing some transmission issues (unbeknownst to me), and even under warranty that Honda has “appeared“ to dodge, I wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to inherit someone else’s problem and not be satisfied with my purchase.

I‘m happy to hear your 2006 has served you loyally for all those many miles. Correct me if I’m wrong, but there doesn’t seem to be any pattern or specific product year that’s plagued more than any other?

I like the looks of the new 2018- present, but I see it’s smaller in size and has a small capacity fuel tank then the previous generation. There seems to be some mixed emotions from the current wing-owners about which generation is the better one. Long older production run vs. new model, newer technology (6 speed manual & DCT 7 speed).

I appreciate ALL the input.

Thanks again,

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve nothing to add accept welcome to the forum. Just bought my first Wing (2006 Gl1800P) with 79,000 miles on it and couldn’t be happier with it.
Fellow Old Dude,

Thank you for taking the time to give me your input. I’ve been eyeing some low mileage 2015+ that are out there. Some of these sellers are asking prices that are starting to reach the price of the current generation models making me wonder should I just pull the trigger on a new one.

Mark

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Welcome neighbor.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Hi Jack...
Thanks for your response. I’m currently in the research phase and would agree with you that a new wing commands a hefty price tag. I’m not opposed to purchasing a well-maintained and good conditioned used one, especially with the longevity reputation a wing has, especially about their “bulletproof“ engines. When the issue of some individuals experiencing some transmission issues (unbeknownst to me), and even under warranty that Honda has “appeared“ to dodge, I wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to inherit someone else’s problem and not be satisfied with my purchase.

I‘m happy to hear your 2006 has served you loyally for all those many miles. Correct me if I’m wrong, but there doesn’t seem to be any pattern or specific product year that’s plagued more than any other?

I like the looks of the new 2018- present, but I see it’s smaller in size and has a small capacity fuel tank then the previous generation. There seems to be some mixed emotions from the current wing-owners about which generation is the better one. Long older production run vs. new model, newer technology (6 speed manual & DCT 7 speed).

I appreciate ALL the input.

Thanks again,

Mark
Mark, some things to consider:

From what I've read on this forum Honda improved the manual transmission beginning with the 2015 model year.

The 2018 and newer models do have a smaller fuel tank, but they also made modifications to the engine and reduced the bike's weight resulting in better fuel mileage and driving range.

Before I bought my '06 I had a 1998 GL1500. The primary reason I purchased the GL1800 was to have ABS brakes. I strongly recommend you consider a Goldwing with ABS brakes.

Any money you save by purchasing a used model can be put toward fuel, meals and lodging. For some here that's not an issue, but for others, like myself, it can be a primary consideration.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mark, some things to consider:

From what I've read on this forum Honda improved the manual transmission beginning with the 2015 model year.

The 2018 and newer models do have a smaller fuel tank, but they also made modifications to the engine and reduced the bike's weight resulting in better fuel mileage and driving range.

Before I bought my '06 I had a 1998 GL1500. The primary reason I purchased the GL1800 was to have ABS brakes. I strongly recommend you consider a Goldwing with ABS brakes.

Any money you save by purchasing a used model can be put toward fuel, meals and lodging. For some here that's not an issue, but for others, like myself, it can be a primary consideration.
Jack, thank you for this information!

I know this section of the forums is for “new member intros!”
my apologies to the members...

Jack, this is what is hard to find on the internet, real experiences from real owners, and not some author with a hidden agenda that’s motivated by $$$ on what he/she content contains.
Your opinions about your experiences are appreciated and valued. I’m feeling or leaning towards the 2015 and later and have had my eye on a couple of them, but their asking prices are coming very close to a 2018 that are still in dealer inventory. I look and see tons of 2018 DCT’s with 1-2k on them and wonder why these bikes aren’t moving...literally! Is there really a problem with them? Man, I really love that 2018 in White, it’s gorgeous! I see huge value in the 2001-2017 for their size, I’m 6’4” and think I’d be more comfortable on one of these then the new generation.

I appreciate your advice...
Your just another example of the type of people you meet on a Honda 😉👍

Thank you,

Mark

PS I find myself daydreaming of those long-haul trips heading out across country hauling a packed Goldwing with a color-matched Bushtec in tow. Makes me smile.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well if somebody ASKS for my .02...........

I recently traded in my 2012 GW for a 2021 DCT. Let's not even bother talking about the upgraded stereo, nav, windscreen et al. I'll focus on two components: Ride quality and safety.

The ride quality is a significant leap forward. The suspension tracks over potholes or bumps like it was an Accord... truly amazing. The ease of suspension adjustment for riding solo/with luggage/dual/dual with luggage is so simple I was able to do it without consulting the manual. This is not the twitchy canyon carver like the BMW K1600 GTL, and that's fine with me. The bike takes mid-corner corrections without as much as a hiccup. Wow.

As to the safety side, I do not have an airbag model. The DCT functions so well I am able to redirect the brain power that used to go to clutching and shifting and finding the right gear. It took me about 200-250 miles to adapt to the DCT, but now that I have I can honestly say I don't want to go back. No automatic tranny can anticipate what you want it to do next, but deft and subtle throttle and brake inputs get the tranny to shift when you want it to (in addition to being able to instantly change gears manually via a switch). .The DCT offers Tour, Eco, Rain and Sport modes. I had it in Sport for about 10 minutes and don't see a reason to ever do that again! I haven't spent significant time in rain or Eco because Tour works so well.

Have fun deciding.

My riding partner has a color-matched Bushtec for his 2006. It look so-o-ooo good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well if somebody ASKS for my .02...........

I recently traded in my 2012 GW for a 2021 DCT. Let's not even bother talking about the upgraded stereo, nav, windscreen et al. I'll focus on two components: Ride quality and safety.

The ride quality is a significant leap forward. The suspension tracks over potholes or bumps like it was an Accord... truly amazing. The ease of suspension adjustment for riding solo/with luggage/dual/dual with luggage is so simple I was able to do it without consulting the manual. This is not the twitchy canyon carver like the BMW K1600 GTL, and that's fine with me. The bike takes mid-corner corrections without as much as a hiccup. Wow.

As to the safety side, I do not have an airbag model. The DCT functions so well I am able to redirect the brain power that used to go to clutching and shifting and finding the right gear. It took me about 200-250 miles to adapt to the DCT, but now that I have I can honestly say I don't want to go back. No automatic tranny can anticipate what you want it to do next, but deft and subtle throttle and brake inputs get the tranny to shift when you want it to (in addition to being able to instantly change gears manually via a switch). .The DCT offers Tour, Eco, Rain and Sport modes. I had it in Sport for about 10 minutes and don't see a reason to ever do that again! I haven't spent significant time in rain or Eco because Tour works so well.

Have fun deciding.

My riding partner has a color-matched Bushtec for his 2006. It look so-o-ooo good.
Thank you Scott…
What a great riding community here. As a former HD rider, I feel more at home here then ever over there.

Many thanks
Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you Scott…
As a former HD rider, I feel more at home here then ever over there.
Mark
My Honda dealer is also an HD dealer. The owner, a friend of the Davidson family (yes, that Davidson family), pulled me aside to tell me he's a Harley Man through and through, but if he were to take up touring again he would hands-down do it on the new Goldwing.
I think you'll find a little less ego here.
Cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My Honda dealer is also an HD dealer. The owner, a friend of the Davidson family (yes, that Davidson family), pulled me aside to tell me he's a Harley Man through and through, but if he were to take up touring again he would hands-down do it on the new Goldwing.
I think you'll find a little less ego here.
Cheers!
Scott,

After having owned a couple of HDs (loved my Road Glide), their top touring machine, IMHO is their Road Glide, BUT, again IMHO it CANNOT compete with the Honda GW as far as long range touring and comfort. I rode my RG 8400 miles in three weeks (just a drop in the bucket for the Iron Butts here, I know), But you felt it everyday getting off of one!

Im getting too old to care about image anymore. I want reliability and comfort now. Can’t imagine riding across Texas in the summer on an air-cooler bagger roasting my...well you get my drift. Liquid cooled motobego for me now.

Thank you

I wave to all...

Mark

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can bring an objective (I think anyway) viewpoint to your issue. I bought a used 2004 ABS in 2011 and rode it until August of 2020. It was ridden through the twisties of the South and the super highways of everywhere. Big smile on my face when three Harleys pulled over to let me pass on the Dragon. I had that bike loaded to the gills with luggage and it was very heavy. Easily over 900 Lbs. The things that need attention are the pushbutton switches which occasionally will stick in. Proper maintenance will avoid that. Prior to 2005 ( I think) the windshield ratchet mechanism had a pawl that would fall out making the shield unable to be adjusted. The bike was smooth, powerful and quiet. It was a pleasure to ride. Of course the seat was bad then and the new ones are no better. I really had no major issues at all. I have a new 2021 Bagger model with DCT. After a few weeks with the DCT, I can say it is no contest. The new one seems to get as good or better gas mileage. Filling the tank takes patience. Ride and handling are head and shoulders above the old Wing. The 2021 is louder. Honda seems to want to compete with Harley. I am still learning the electronics but I took a 700 mile trip and the navigation lead me right to the doorstep each destination. From this site I have determined that there are some minor revisions since 2018. Bottom line. New or used, I would purchase a 2018 or newer with the DCT. Hope this is of some help. Good Luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can bring an objective (I think anyway) viewpoint to your issue. I bought a used 2004 ABS in 2011 and rode it until August of 2020. It was ridden through the twisties of the South and the super highways of everywhere. Big smile on my face when three Harleys pulled over to let me pass on the Dragon. I had that bike loaded to the gills with luggage and it was very heavy. Easily over 900 Lbs. The things that need attention are the pushbutton switches which occasionally will stick in. Proper maintenance will avoid that. Prior to 2005 ( I think) the windshield ratchet mechanism had a pawl that would fall out making the shield unable to be adjusted. The bike was smooth, powerful and quiet. It was a pleasure to ride. Of course the seat was bad then and the new ones are no better. I really had no major issues at all. I have a new 2021 Bagger model with DCT. After a few weeks with the DCT, I can say it is no contest. The new one seems to get as good or better gas mileage. Filling the tank takes patience. Ride and handling are head and shoulders above the old Wing. The 2021 is louder. Honda seems to want to compete with Harley. I am still learning the electronics but I took a 700 mile trip and the navigation lead me right to the doorstep each destination. From this site I have determined that there are some minor revisions since 2018. Bottom line. New or used, I would purchase a 2018 or newer with the DCT. Hope this is of some help. Good Luck!
Sailor Bill,
I thank you for your post. I am anxious to try a DCT. Seems hard to be able to just walk into a Honda dealership, tell them your in the market to make a purchase, and they tell you that you have to go online and make an appointment to test drive one. Makes you want to tell them, “ I’m NOT buying without trying!”

Thank you sir,

Mark

1 - 20 of 25 Posts