GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My best riding buddy and I have just finished up 2 of these homemade aluminum trailers. Other than tail lights and running light placement they are identical in construction. We made the cargo box removable in case we needed to haul something bulky. Last week we transported a 7500K generator which made the removable box pretty handy. Here's a breakdown of some of the construction.

1. Square tube aluminum frame.
2. Torsion axles 22 degrees down
3. LED lights
4. Aluminum chest is 40"L X 24"W X 20"Tall
5. 13" Tires/wheels

Don Saenz
Sanger, TX

Attachments

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
:thumbup: VERY VERY NICE! I like that alot. Looks to be very well crafted and designed. Is the box of your own design and crafmanship or was it a purchased part? What does this trailer weigh empty?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Homemade

The box was an off the shelf piece and we tailored the frame dimensions around it.

Going to weigh it this week.

Thanks
Don Saenz
Sanger, TX

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
:cool: How long will it take you to build mine?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Homemade

The lid hinges to the side and is lockable. The interior has removable carpeting also.

Thanks
Don Saenz
Sanger, TX

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
now you just need to fire up a production line on these!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
About a year ago I was wanting to build a trailer very similar to this and was undecided whether to build the frame or use a HF trailer kit. The dimensions of your box are very close to what I was wanting, give / take a couple of inches here and there. I could not find a box like this anywhere. Finally found a place that would custom fab to my spec but the $ was more than I wanted to pay for the box, although it was not unreasonable. If I can ask, where did you find the cargo box for your project?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Good job Don, and the Stake pockets are a classic touch , and useful..:yes1:

H

·
0 Posts
Good looking rig. I have a softspot for homebuilts. Wish we could see more photos of the talented trailer builders on this site.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Now that is a better mouse trap..

I just put together a harbor frieght to use as a utility trailer behind the wing..
But your convertible is a great idea..

·
Registered
640 Posts
Nice looking trailer. You should be able to sell them if you wanted to.

About how much do you have tied up in the construction of the trailer?

·
Registered
869 Posts
those look real nice,

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
tractor supply has lots of these various tool boxes, and they are online as well

another local chain, atwoods has them as well

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
tractor supply has lots of these various tool boxes, and they are online as well

another local chain, atwoods has them as well
I could not find a box like this that was symmetrical. I looked at Attwods, Tractor Supply, etc. Everything that I found had beveled corners to accomodate the truck bed or the wheel wells, etc. The ones that I did find that were symmetrical did not have acceptable dimensions. They were too small or too large.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts