GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this from my local Honda Service Rep...
Looks like Honda is really going to "wing it".....

Honda R&D Americas has released details about its experimental compact business jet after its recent maiden flight. The six-seat, twin-engine jet is designed to provide two major advantages: more interior space and greater fuel efficiency. It is made of a combination of composite materials with aluminum skins. By mounting the engines on the main wing instead of the fuselage, Honda officials said they created 30 percent more cabin space than conventional jets. The jet also incorporates tricks to help it slide through the air more easily, such as shaping the nose to generate laminar flow that cuts down on fuselage drag. Coupled with that are Honda's FADEC (full authority digital electronic control) HF118 turbofan engines that are said to sip fuel. The HondaJet features an estimated top speed of 420 knots and a service ceiling of 41,000 f! eet. It is scheduled to undergo 200 hours of flight testing to demonstrate and verify its design and performance capabilities, but there is no word on whether the jet will enter production.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Honda Flagship Not

Given the current status of the Wing, I don'y think I would want to fly in that plane for at least 5 yrs after it is first produced. I will take Honda that long to get it right. Wouldn't want the wings crack and fall off, the engine to overheat, or the commo system to fail................. :lol:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right. Now if they powered it with a Harley.....

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hardly power?

Harley powered? They said twin engine, not twin cylinder. That, and the vibration would shake the wings off. Then again, it might add lift if that made the wings flap! :p

At least you could strap the cracking wings back on with bailing wire. :22yikes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts