GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is another new Honda with a DCT. I don't really care for the styling of this motorcycle/scooter but really hope a DCT is available on the next Goldwing. This is the future of motorcycle transmissions. Full automatic operation or paddle shift. Much faster and smoother shifts than even the Moto GP riders can accomplish with a conventional transmission. What's not to like?

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2011...irst-model-featuring-new-700cc-twin-with-dct/

Larry

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Nice looking ride and just the right size for more urban riding.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Here is another new Honda with a DCT. I don't really care for the styling of this motorcycle/scooter but really hope a DCT is available on the next Goldwing. This is the future of motorcycle transmissions. Full automatic operation or paddle shift. Much faster and smoother shifts than even the Moto GP riders can accomplish with a conventional transmission. What's not to like?

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2011...irst-model-featuring-new-700cc-twin-with-dct/

Larry
Personally, I want the DCT on a Wing. Give me a DCT and electronic windshield, and a new Wing for me!!!!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
What's not to like about it? Everything. No relation to an automatic transmission in a car/truck I suppose but I always have a sore spot for anything automatic. All points arguable, just my personal experience.
1. Cost, big waste of money
2. Reliability or lack of. Will be the weak point of the entire vehical. It has to be and always will be.
3. Waste of fuel. I've kept track in my diesel truck and cost upwards of $6000 in extra fuel used vs the same exact configured truck with a manual. $6000 every 100,000 miles on the road.
4. No downhill engine braking so brakes wear out much faster.
5. When you do have problems, and trust me you will, there will be no mechanic that knows $0.02 about even basic repairs, so basically the entire vehical is crap from the first problem encountered, and by odds this will happen in less than 10,000 miles.
Of course this is not an automatic transmission in this dual clutch setup, but more parts equal more weight, more complexity, more problems. Same old problem cars/trucks have. Why should we not shift. Same reason as in a car? So we can hold a cigarette in one hand and a earpiece to blab of stuck to the ear like glue with the other? I don't want or need it and if offered I would not consider purchase.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, you need to read up on what a Dual Clutch Transmission really is. There is no hydraulic torque convereter. It has nothing in common with the automotive transmissions you are thinking of. Go take a ride on a VFR1200F. It shifts much faster and smoother than you or I can, and always seems to be in the right gear. If you wish to shift manually push a button and you shift using the up and down triggers on the left handle bar. Again, immediate and smooth as butter. Great fun in the twisties. And there is engine braking.

More expensive than a manual? Sure. I think the DCT VFR1200F is something like $1,500 more but I would pay it. Is it less reliable? than the current transmission? Who knows. I have not heard about any issues with the VFR but I don't know how many are out there. My friend has 18K on his and he has had no problems.

These transmissions have been in high end sports cars for years and Honda's Moto GP racer uses one. Time will tell but I think we will see these on more machines.

Besides, Honda would probably offer a std transmission for a lower price.

Larry

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
That all sure sounds a lot better than the stupid automatics in cars definately. May have to keep my mind open a little. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Every time someone mentions an automatic, the hate starts. Well I NEED an automatic!

My hands don't work like they used to. Arthritis. Carpal tunnel syndrome. Wonky muscles. Wrist damage from a car accident. I suffer and struggle with these on every ride. All you young, strong guys who would give up riding before buying an automatic, you can just :cus:. Not everybody is as smart and purdy as you.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I like shifting gears.

I have a Porsche with their 7-speed "PDK" DCT. It is awesome. It is the best of both worlds. You can have your cake and eat it too. It is the future of transmissions. I would buy a motorcycle with one, but maybe not the first couple of years.

BTW, the Porsche PDK is very reliable, but if you do have a problem, they don't fix it, they just switch it out and send it back to Germany. Probably because noone over here knows how to work on them yet.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Isn't having to shift it a part of the motorcycle experience?
According to what kind of bike you are riding. If you ride a look at me bike and make a lot of noise yes you need to shift plus other things to get noticed. Me i just enjoy riding.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I think that Honda is getting into the automatic transmission thing for bikes to attract potential new riders that are either intimidated by or unaware of how to operate a manual shift transmission. They are getting rather rare on most cars. Fewer makers even offer it, except on some performance autos, and few buyers opt for it.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
What's not to like about it? Everything. No relation to an automatic transmission in a car/truck I suppose but I always have a sore spot for anything automatic. All points arguable, just my personal experience.
1. Cost, big waste of money
2. Reliability or lack of. Will be the weak point of the entire vehical. It has to be and always will be.
3. Waste of fuel. I've kept track in my diesel truck and cost upwards of $6000 in extra fuel used vs the same exact configured truck with a manual. $6000 every 100,000 miles on the road.
4. No downhill engine braking so brakes wear out much faster.
5. When you do have problems, and trust me you will, there will be no mechanic that knows $0.02 about even basic repairs, so basically the entire vehical is crap from the first problem encountered, and by odds this will happen in less than 10,000 miles.
Of course this is not an automatic transmission in this dual clutch setup, but more parts equal more weight, more complexity, more problems. Same old problem cars/trucks have. Why should we not shift. Same reason as in a car? So we can hold a cigarette in one hand and a earpiece to blab of stuck to the ear like glue with the other? I don't want or need it and if offered I would not consider purchase.
Well first of all, 64mpg is not exactly what I would call a waste of fuel.

I don't know what makes you think there will be no engine braking. Every ridden a Burgman? It will throw you into the windshield if you aren't ready for it.

Reliability. Considering the track record of the GL1800 manual, I'm not sure we should go there. Besides, this is actually a DCT, not an automatic.

There is not doubt it costs more. But considering the thousands of dollars that Goldwing owners waste on chrome that serves no purpose, value for the money is kind of a personal thing.

I like my manual too. But this new bike is kinda slick. I hope they bring it to the US. Looks like a great commuter bike.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Does anybody know why the article is calling this bike a hybrid? It just seems to be a regular motorcycle with a DCT.

·
Registered
19,462 Posts
I welcome a Honda HFT Auto transmission for the wing. Maybe because we had a auto Burgman for a while or maybe because the wing is damn near an automatic anyway. Like it or not the future for bikes is with automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That's what I thought

Isn't having to shift it a part of the motorcycle experience?
I'm with you on that one! If I can't shift it, they can keep the fluckin thing!!! :agree:

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
What a bunch of poorly-translated corporate marketing-speak. "an engine with a pleasant throbbing feel that also reduces vibration" Ok, for one I don't see how you can have both - and for another, who sez I want a "pleasant throbbing feel" from my motorcycle/scooter?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Wow, just think - no more being in the wrong gear on a hill, when the traffic light turns green, and the elimination of the fear factor by the pillion when the driver loses stability due to being in a wrong gear.

And, no more sore left hand when I'm in an eight mile traffic jam, or hunting for neutral, or making sure I'm downshifting into first at the traffic light, or wondering if I'm in the proper gear when I see a car approaching too fast in my mirrors while I'm sitting at a light.

Wow! I see a whole list of safety advantages.

But then again, there are those that say that it's not a motorcycle without gears, or it's not a cycle if it sports a windshield, or a fairing, or a radio, or silent pipes.

And there are those that also say that you're not a motorcyclist if you haven't gone down, sport scars, lost part of your leg, and so on and so forth.

Frankly, I'm 56, I like my bike comfortable, quiet, easy, and safe. I'd be first in line for a Wing with a DCT or CVT (continuously variable transmission) should Honda ever offer one.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
If you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT!! Simple as that, but I think it looks fine and would probably get one if and when they are in the states.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts