GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install a braided hydraulic line on my rear shock. I hear this can be done without removing the fuel tank. Can anybody offer any advice or direct me to a site that might have some instructions? Your help would be appreciated!!...as always.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Not to change the direction of your post but I have to ask...Why?
Do you really think that it will really accomplish anything? There is not any significent pressure in that line..Nothing like a brake line that has over 1000 psi. There is absolutly nothing to be gained. Why would you want to spend the time and money for the result?
Am I missing something here?

Jeff...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question, and sorry that I was not clear as to my reason. My problem is that my rear suspension just isn't doing the job any longer. My wife and I together put a fairly heavy load on the bike. When I attempt to adjust my rear suspension, using the switch (sorry, I'm forgetting my terms here), the bike doesn't even start to raise until I hit 14 out of I believe 25. I have learned that the hydraulic system in that unit is very small and that the majority of the time when this occurs, it's because the hydraulic line, over time, swells slightly, thereby reducing the effectiveness of the hydraulic fluid in the unit. This problem is confirmed by some very reliable resources. I have read that replacing that hose and ensuring of course that the hydraulic unit itself is not leaking, that my suspension adjustment will actually start working, as it should, around 0 to 3. So, that is the reason why I have asked the question. Also, Traxxion sells a braided hydraulic hose, just for this purpose.

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
There is a write up on this topic on page 26 Aug 2011 Wing World.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Traxxion hose

My '05 wouldn't raise the rear until 12-13. I had Stu Oltman rebuild the shock with a Traxxion hose and while the unit was out, I had a progressive spring installed. Now my bike starts to raise at 1. The OEM hoses are a problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Tom,

I think the first thing you need to look at is the suspension activator to see if it has enough fluid in it. I have a link at home which shows how to do it, so when I finish work I will up-load the link for you.

Also, on Friday I will be doing the re-fill on my activator and will take photos and do a write up on this work. If you are willing to wait until I post the report.

Or you could buy Fred's maintenance DVD's which has a section on how to do this.

Best wishes.

Dave.

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
the stock hose is fine, i wouldn't mess with it

but it sounds like your low on fluid, this article does an excellent job of explaining how to fix the problem , i did mine and it was pretty easy, works perfect now
http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/reservoirfill.htm

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well Cycledude has beaten me to it. That is the link I was talking about.

I am now doing me Reservoir fill tomorrow and hope to up-load my report/findings/succes??:shock: later.

This will be my first time I have done this, so wish me luck.

Dave.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My 2009 preload didn't start until 6 @ 11,600 miles. (checked a few months ago). I followed the procedure others have indicated to fill the actuator. Now starts at 0 as it should. Later while ordering parts from TRAXXION, I decided to upgrade the hose just for the heck of it (yeh, I do that sometimes). Since I had it apart to replace the Air Filter, it only took a little longer to get the GAS TANK out to get the Shock Asm out. I took the time to actually rebuild the actuator on the shock asm (requires the Progressive Spring Tool which I purchased from TRAXXION). After rebuilding the asm, I reinstalled it with the new hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
About 3 1/2 years ago my preload was not starting to load until 11. I bought a brand new shock and preload on eBay (got lucky) upgraded the spring and checked and filled the fluid in the preload and installed. Within a year my preload was not loading until #6. I did the refill of fluid, bled the system and promised myself if it happened again I would buy a braided line. Since that refill it still loads up right at one, so I'm still on the factory hose. It's been debated all over here as to weather the problem is from slight leakage, hose expansion or some may be underfilled at the factory. Regardless, I think once it's properly filled it seems to be OK from then on, at least for mine. But I must say I haven't heard of anyone who has put in a braided line ever having a problem after they did.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tom, thanks for posting this. I am in the same boat as you. My spring doesn't start to load up until 10 so I am thinking a bout doing the same thing. If the hose fixes things like Stu mentions I will just go that route and save $500 by not buying the hose and shock.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First, I would like to thank everybody for all your comments/ideas/suggestions. This is a GREAT board!!! I'm on a "working" trip (sorry for the dirty word) right now, so I won't be putting the bike on the lift for another week or so. I will continue to monitor this string and if anybody has anything else to add, please know that I appreciate it very much. I'll let everybody know how this all turns out.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have serviced and fixed the preload on a couple of dozen 1800s. I just add hydraulic fluid to replace the very small amount of expansion loss due to the hose expanding just like a new tire will do setting the cords and After that initial refill, the owners have had absolutely no more problems with the stock hoses. I did mine 6 years ago and it still starts preload on 1.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, I did mine this morning and wow. It is so much better. Starts loading from 1 instead of 14 before I did this job.

Very easy to do. You don't need to completely remove the pannier, just remove the bolts and lift the pannier from the bottom and ease it away from the frame and you will get to the activator. This save you undoing all your electrical connections to the pannier.

Best wishes,

Dave.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
As many have said the braided hose is totally a waste of $ and is more difficult to install and less flexible than the OEM hose.

I once tested the same adjuster with the OEM hose and the $50 Traxxion braided metal hose and found ZERO difference in the amount of preload increase between the two when running the adjuster from 1 to 25.

It MAY be possible that some of the "not starting at 1" problem that many experience is due to some initial expansion of the OEM hose Vs. incompleter inital factory fill (no way to know this unless you did a contolled test with a new OEM hose) but once it is on the bike for a while and you refill the system it is golden.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts