GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They have officially passed the new law here in Indiana allowing bicyclists and motorcyclists to PROCEED WITH CAUTION through a RED LIGHT AFTER WAITING TWO MINUTES and not being sensed by the electronic devices buried in the roadway.

The tar circles you see in Indiana buried at intersections are a loop of wire that sense a FERRITE (IRON or STEEL)) MASS ... since the Goldwing is mostly aluminum and plastic, there often is not enough motorcycle for the sensors to sense.

http://m.kokomoperspective.com/kp/news/dead-red-law-passes-in-indiana/article_c215c534-c97f-11e3-97af-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=jqm#.U1g9uuFMzLU.facebook

·
Registered
23 Posts
Law should change in all states!

That's great news for Indiana. I wonder if any other States have taken similar action? We sure could use it in Vermont
as this happens often to me and I end up just driving through it.

Thanks for your posting!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Read the article ...

"The other states that have “dead red” laws are Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Nevada, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and California."

:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Read the article ...

"The other states that have “dead red” laws are Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Nevada, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and California."

:thumbup:
Illinois too, for a couple of years maybe?

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
for about $30 bucks you can buy electronic device that you put on bike that trips lites real quick when you roll over /get close ? wires in ground .heard they work real good.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
for about $30 bucks you can buy electronic device that you put on bike that trips lites real quick when you roll over /get close ? wires in ground .heard they work real good.
I haven't heard about an electronic device, but I've seen something that looks like a pipe that attaches to the underside of the bike. I've heard that the pipes don't work. I wonder if a very strong magnet would work? A friend had a couple of audio speakers delivered to his house and left by his electric gate. As he walked by the sensors in the ground with the box in his hands, his gate opened.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Hey, I just look around and go here in Ohio and other places as well. If you can't see them they can't see you. Been doing that all my life successfully. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Interesting.. a buddy in high school (1970) was issued a red light ticket. Cop followed him into the hallway, wrote him the ticket there. My buddy was on a bicycle, was late for class is why he crossed Camelback rd (PHX) on a red light. Hearing officer dismissed the ticket

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Well, in two minutes I am going to be about 1 minute and 45 seconds on down the road.

prs

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
After waiting a little I have gone through a lot of them and never had any issues even before the new law, heck here in Medford the sensors sometimes don't even pick up cars , seems like they should work a lot better than they do.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If it cycles once and doesn't catch me I just go. I don't care what state I am in. I'll go to court and debate the ticket if I get one. So far no issues. Good for Indiana putting it on the books though. I have asked our lawmakers in Georgia to do the same a few times with no avail.

·
Registered
924 Posts
yo mean you don't have a long stick to push the button....c'mon...standard equipment on a first gen Venture :roll:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
It's nice to see that more states are specifically addressing the problem.

FWIW, many people go through dead reds even in states that don't have the law. And if a cop is stupid enough to give you a ticket for it, it is easy to beat. Nearly every state has laws that say you can proceed into an intersection with caution if a traffic light is not operating, or not operating properly. It is a valid argument to state that the traffic light is not operating properly if it won't sense your motorcycle. Federal law requires localities to set the sensors sensitive enough to detect motorcycles.

FWIW #2. The statement is wrong that the sensors will only sense ferrous metals like steel and iron. The sensors emit a magnetic field, and will detect anything that interrupts that field. Aluminum will interrupt a magnetic field. (hint: It works as magnetic shielding in electronics devices. The GL1800 actually does a better job of tripping traffic light sensors than smaller bikes.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Follow-Up Question

I have to do this every Thursday morning...:)

I meet my sister for breakfast on Thursday mornings at Norske Nook (local restaurant) and the light outside their parking lot will not cycle around for me no matter how long I sit. The frustrating part, and where my question comes in is, since I go through this light every week and know it's not going to turn, do I really need to wait every time to re-prove it or can I proceed after a short stop and no cars in sight?

Should mention, this is in Wisconsin.

Scott...

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
I don't know if Texas Law allows this, but my policy is to run red lights after a reasonable length of time. :thumbup: ...because...you know...freedom...liberty...and....you know, this is America...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts