GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any trick to installing an aftermarket sidestand? I've purchased a Show Chrome sidestand with the big footprint. It looks like I'd just take one bolt off at the pivot point, take the stock one off and bolt the new one on. Is it that simple or is it possible to screw up the sidestand sensor somehow? What about the spring? Anything anyone knows about this could help. It could be so simple as to be a dumb question, but I believe that "the only dumb question is the one not asked". Thanx, Mark C

·
Registered
819 Posts
It is easy to install a new side stand but it may be necessary to grind a little off the side stand stop so that the new side stand can swing far enough forward, if you neglect to do this it might be possible for your bike to roll off the side stand forward. I had to do this with my fish side stand they are made this way on purpose so that you can adjust them to where they need to be and the instructions will tell you the same.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
It is a very easy task. I got a deal on a Hondaline chromestand on Ebay a while back and installed it. If I remember right it took less than 15 minutes. Just be sure the bike is on the centerstand or on its right side before removing the sidestand. Also, I used a little trick I found here and place several pennies between the coils of the spring before removal to reduce the required tension to remove the spring hooks. It worked great!!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've been messing with springs on cars and some motorcycles all my life and that's the first time I ever heard of the penny trick. :shock: COOL :!: By the way Mark, if you decide to install the incredible Rivco floorboards, the stand will have to go. That may be where you got yours MCBOY. I sold mine on Ebay. :cry: But the floorboards more than make up for it. 100% more comfortable :D

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Stop....first the only side stand that will need any grinding is the kurayakyn. A post was just out recently how the overseas manufacturer took it upon himself and made it longer then the specifications. Even if you are the owner of one of these, a replacement side stand bracket is less then $5. So grind if U wish. Funny how this went unnoticed until the inventory was probably sold out? Have not heard of any manufacture offers of replacement either? I put on a Showchrome,"cruise wing kickstand" myself, first remove the top bolt, then there is a bolt and nut to take apart. The spring is easy to hook on while sliding the new stand onto the bracket. Best of rides!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.