GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These risers will not work on an existing installation; unless you are willing to drill new holes in your trunk lid. Because of the curvature of the lid and the angle of the front legs on the rack, the legs will not fit into the risers. For them to fit the holes would need to be closer together (right to left). Unfortunately I found out the hard way, but maybe this will keep others from spending their money and getting dissapointed or upset (like I am)

Randy

·
Registered
7 Posts
E8SGW, If you make the holes larger or oval enough to fit, will the hardware cover the holes over, or would you need a new trunk lid ? Could you use large star washers under the risers to cover the larger holes? Any info would be helpful as I have a set but hav'nt startered the install . Thanks for the post, you may have saved me a lot of work. Bill

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
E8SGW said:
These risers will not work on an existing installation; unless you are willing to drill new holes in your trunk lid. Because of the curvature of the lid and the angle of the front legs on the rack, the legs will not fit into the risers. For them to fit the holes would need to be closer together (right to left). Unfortunately I found out the hard way, but maybe this will keep others from spending their money and getting dissapointed or upset (like I am)

Randy

Randy..did you happen to snap a picture of your install??
I too just ordered two sets of these for myself and a friend..And from reading this add,It says they will fit using the existing holes?
http://www.xtremerevolution.com/store/s ... &aid=10050

I'd like to see what you had to do to make these fit,or did you abort the install?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can probably take a round file or rotary bit and carefully elongate the holes to make them fit. I am pretty sure star washers will cover the amount of elongation. I have star washers with large rubber washers under them on my trunk to add some cushion to the installation, but I did not feel comfortable creating a hole that size and taking a chance it might leak or cause a crack.

I read the information posted on the kit before I purchased it and no where did it say anything about having to modify existing installations. It was quickly apparent as soon as I put the risers on the trunk lid how much wider the legs on the rack would need to be to mate up using the current holes. I am guessing it is in the neighborhood of 1 to 1.5 inches total (of course when you ream out the holes you can split the amount between the two sides).

I'm sorry I didn't take any photos, but, as you can probably surmise, I aborted the install and put the rack back on without the risers.

Hope that helps.

Randy

S

·
0 Posts
Direct from Kury
By popular demand, we now offer a kit to raise our P/N 7151 Luggage Rack by 5/8” — and gives you a larger diameter footprint. This will make cleaning under your rack easier as well as spread the load a bit. Reuses stock mounting holes if you already have luggage rack.
And further in the install instructions

Remove the existing luggage rack and hardware; save for later use. It is
recommended that the existing rack mount holes in the trunk lid be enlarged with a 1/4”
drill bit to allow for alignment and ease of installation
alrighty then what's with that :?: :roll: :evil:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Randy, thanks for the follow up. I belive I will follow your lead and sell the risers. I have a friend who has just received his rack, he can drill the holes to fit. Thanks again, Bill

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Randy,Thanks for the reply.
I should get mine in a few days,and will see how it goes..

I have a friend with a lathe and might be able to machine these to fit..

Can't see why Kury did get these right with existing drilled holes in the lid.

S

·
0 Posts
So.... there must be a few of you guys out there who have done the mod, how did it go ? :?: :roll:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Strider said:
So.... there must be a few of you guys out there who have done the mod, how did it go ? :?: :roll:
I received my risers and installed them on an existing Kury rack on my Wing. Yes, I was very disappointed to see that the holes did not line up. However, the two rear holes needed only a little enlargement and the two front one needed the holes to be drifted somewhat inward about another 1/4 to 5/16 of an inch. The larger washers more than covered it. The other thing I found to be different was the two rear screws. The instructions said to install them and then install the plastic under the lid cover. I found the supplied screws to be too long so I replaced the lid cover and then inserted and fastened the 2 rears screws. It is on securely and the rack now rests on larger diameter risers which I believe spreads the load better. I might go back and install the star washers but I don't know if they are much larger in diameter to justify the work. (Does anyone know if the star washers are larger and if so how muck?) I like the risers for look and functionality. It's easier to clean under the rack now.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I got my rack risers in today,and installed them without much fan fair.

Yes I had to oblong the two front holes toward the inside of each other,and the rear holes towards the front,about an 1/8 on an inch seeing I had already drilled all four holes to 1/4 when I installed the rack the first time.

After I was done,The rack's mounting screws were able to float in these now ob-longed holes,and the Risers wider base clearly cover the enlarged holes,and the small rubber washers also covered the holes from the inside of the trunk as well.

I too had to shorten two of my screws? I cut them back 1/8 with my dremmel,and they worked fine..

I can now get my hands between the rack and spoiler and in front of the rack as well..

Before http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ ... rip239.jpg
After http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ ... rip249.jpg

Before http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ ... rip238.jpg
After http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ ... rip250.jpg

S

·
0 Posts
Rocky thanks for the great pictures. Having seen/done it now, what do you think, is the rack too high ?How many inches higher is it now compared to before ? Thoughts ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I make a combo riser and strees pad. I haven't installed it on many 1800s yet, however we haven't run into the problem of not matching the holes well. Mine screw into the legs and become part of the assembly.

I do caution people that they will not fit all 1800 racks. The legs must be welded at the proper angle to contact the trunk in a perpendicular manner. Racks that have an angle cut on the bottom of the legs or use angle cut washers for proper fit to the trunk will not work.

On the racks that mine fit, you will note that the legs angle towards each other. Thus when you increase the height with risers you do affect the bolt pattern. As mentioned above use a small rat tailed file or a dremel tool to slightly elongate any holes requiring it.

I only make my units with threads in either 1/4-20 or 6 mm. The Kuryakyn rack I have on my 1800 came with 10-24 threads which I believe is too small. I re-drilled and tapped the legs accordingly.

Just to reiterate, not all racks will work with risers.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Strider said:
Rocky thanks for the great pictures. Having seen/done it now, what do you think, is the rack too high ?How many inches higher is it now compared to before ? Thoughts ?
I would suggest these risers to anyone.It isn't very intimidating to do at all..

I have big hands,and can now wipe my spoiler with a cleaning cloth,And before all I could do was use a rag in a sawing motion to clean the top of the spoiler..

The pictures don't clearly show the difference in space between before to after.
The rack doesn't look out of place as in to high,after all were only talking about 5/8 here..
As a matter of fact,you can add small washers in the top of the risers,to make it even higher if you so desired.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts