·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From The Boston Channel:
New Hampshire Riders Against Plan

POSTED: 9:57 am EST January 22, 2009
UPDATED: 10:43 am EST January 22, 2009

CONCORD, N.H. -- The state wants to muffle loud motorcycles, but riders said the bill will cause them hardship.

State Rep. Judith Day of North Hampton said she sponsored the bill after 1,000 voters in her town signed a petition asking for further limits on motorcycle noise.

Current law said motorcycles can produce up to 106 decibels, but the new law would limit the noise coming from the tailpipes to 99 decibels. The fines would also increase from a maximum of $300 to $1,000.

About 120 people showed up to the bill's public hearing on Wednesday, most of them against the change.

Opponents said the new limits would cost bikers and dealers money to change their motorcycle tailpipes and could hurt Laconia's annual motorcycle week, a major economic event for the Lakes Region.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
It should not cost new vehicle dealers anything other than lost sales of aftermmarket pipes, but consider the OE replacements they will get to sell.

"Current law said motorcycles can produce up to 106 decibels, but the new law would limit the noise coming from the tailpipes to 99 decibels."

A 7dB reduction, although almost a 200% decrease in acoustic energy, is only about equal to a "jnd" (just noticable differnce) to the human ear. It would be interesting to see the current law regading distance from exhaust pipe to sound level meter microphone, the specified angle of measurment, and sould level meter specificaiton (peak hold, energy averaging, using scale C or scale A. Will it be tested in an open field, among city buildings, inside an inspeciton station garage? At what RPM, what engine load, junk 'n stuff like that. The easiest law to enforce is the existing federal mandate that NO alterations are to be made to OE exhaust systems. Even Harley makes reasonably quiet OE systems. If there is a 106dB law already, did they enforce it? Its juststupid to make tougher laws if the less restrictive laws were not enforced.

prs

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
:roll:
Here we go again.
Pass this and they will find something else to bitch about.

2,732 Posts
It's about time

It's about time. In my town, the loud bikers think it's real cooool to crack their throttles to the point that you have to stop your conversation until they pass, why? Cause the're convinced it make them soooo d&mn great. I'm sick of it and it's time the whole country gets tough with these outlaws.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We live far enough away from the closest interstate that you can't hear any traffic noise - except during bike week when the noise can reach the pollution level (if/when you're closer to the highway).

·
Registered
20,686 Posts
seems like they were not enforcing the noise laws they already had so they probably won't enforce a new one, just more of the same old crap

there is an old timmer around here who drives a car thats over 20 years old, well the muffler was shot but it still didn't make much noise, it was actually pretty quiet compared to a lot of Harleys around here, well guess what ? the cops pulled him over and gave him one of those warning tickets where you have so many days to get it fixed, i guess thats fine but why do they just keep ignoring the real noise makers ?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
It should not cost new vehicle dealers anything other than lost sales of aftermmarket pipes, but consider the OE replacements they will get to sell.

"Current law said motorcycles can produce up to 106 decibels, but the new law would limit the noise coming from the tailpipes to 99 decibels."

A 7dB reduction, although almost a 200% decrease in acoustic energy, is only about equal to a "jnd" (just noticable differnce) to the human ear. It would be interesting to see the current law regading distance from exhaust pipe to sound level meter microphone, the specified angle of measurment, and sould level meter specificaiton (peak hold, energy averaging, using scale C or scale A. Will it be tested in an open field, among city buildings, inside an inspeciton station garage? At what RPM, what engine load, junk 'n stuff like that. The easiest law to enforce is the existing federal mandate that NO alterations are to be made to OE exhaust systems. Even Harley makes reasonably quiet OE systems. If there is a 106dB law already, did they enforce it? Its juststupid to make tougher laws if the less restrictive laws were not enforced.

prs

PRS; 1 DB is Just Noticable and 3 DB is Double the Power. Each 3 DB incrument Doubles the power which makes a HUGE differance between 99 and 106 DB.

The problem with this whole thing, like you pointed out, is how do you fairly and correctly measure a Noise Level which is why the laws in Denver and Colorado Springs are easier to enforce. All they have to do here is look for the OEM stamps for the EPA required info on the Exhaust System and issue the ticket if it isn't correct as built factory equipment.
No Noise Meters required, only a mirror and flashlight plus a rag or two for HD's and other Rat Bikes.
In Denver it becomes a Federal EPA case and can cost well over $1,000.00 plus impoundment for repeat offenders. In both cities they don't make random stops but do respond to reports from neighbors and business that are forced to listen to those who flaunt the laws and PO the public in general.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Here's what I found .. hope it passes then go nation wide. I don't agree on sec V. It it meets noise level it would be ok. There may be after market pipes that would meet the standard. I see more city / state going to something like this. It's happening already. Too many riders with loud pipes just for the sake being loud.

Amendment to HB 95

Posted by Site Admin
Amend the title of the bill by replacing it with the following
An ACT relative to motorcycle noise levels and establishing a commission to study
motorcycle noise issues in the state.
Amend the bill by replacing all after the enacting clause with the following:
1 New Paragraph : Motorcycle Muffler Modifications. Amend RSA 266:59 by inserting after
paragraph IV the following new paragraph:
V. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motorcycle in any manner. Any person
who violates the provision of this paragraph shall be guilty of a violation and shall be fined not less
than $100 nor more than $500.
2 Motorcycle Noise Levels . RSA 266:59 a is repealed and reenacted to read as follows:
266:59-a Motorcycle Noise Levels.
I. No person shall operate a motorcycle in such a manner to exceed a sound level, measured at 50 feet away using a decibel meter, of 82 decibels when operated within a speed zone of 45 miles per hour or less or 86 decibels in a speed zone of over 45 miles per hour.
II. No person shall operate a motorcycle that, when stationary , exceeds a sound level of 102 decibels if the motorcycle was manufactured before 1987 or 99 decibels if the motorcycle was manufactured in 1987 and after.
III. Any person who violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation and shall be fined not less than $100 nor more than $1000.
3 Commission Established . There is establish a commission to study motorcycle noise issues in the state.

I. Sections 1 and 2 of this act shall take effect January 1, 2010
II. There remainder of of this act shall take effect upon its passage.
This bill
I. Prohibits motorcycle exhaust modifications.
II. Changes permissible motorcycle noise levels.
III. Increases maximum fines for motorcycle noise violations.
IV. Establishes a commission to study motorcycle noise issues in the state.

·
Rocket Man
1,556 Posts
Go for it New Hampshire. I'm sick and tired of these goofs running around with their noisy bikes. Make the fines even higher as far as I'm concerned.

·
Florida Moderator
4,616 Posts
I'm all for peace and quiet. My only problem with this is targeting motorcycles. There should be no mention of a specific type or class of vehicle. The law should simply apply to ALL vehicles that operate on public roads.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Someone call Algore and tell him loud pipes cause global warming/cooling -whatever his choice is that week--and he'll outlaw them

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I have enough laws... enforce the ones that already have been passed..

while they are enforcing the laws.... do it across the board...do not
single just motorcycles.... limit noise from airplanes, trucks, trains and any noise emiting vehicle... or leave them all alone...

cosmic

·
Registered
780 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself Cosmic. Don't forget those lawn mowers, man that just ticks me off, trying to take a nap in the middle of the afternoon and your neighbor decides its time to mow his lawn. What is this world coming too!!! :roll:

·
Registered
661 Posts
The "wild hogs" :doorag: have rented three houses in my neighborhood, one next door. Please! pass this law across the nation. My new neighboors sit and rev till 1AM even on weekdays. Nothing quite like noise to sour a sport. :twisted:
How's this for draconian? Confiscation:22yikes: Play nice !:joke:

Myrtle Beach:nojoke:, Laconia:nojoke:, Daytona? Sturgis? Laughlin?

I built and rode my first street bike, A harley Chop, basket case with straight pipes, girder fork and hardtail.
30 years ago.......I was an ass to people and didn't care, after all it's our right to be free...not to be forced by law to wear helmets and ride with as much noise as we wanted. Amazing,:shock: a complete turnaround, and still love to ride. ..........Don :arrow:Flame Suit On

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree that Loud Pipes Risk Rights. It just is not right that cars with aftermarket mufflers, or none at all, are not targeted.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts