GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured this was motorcyle related since we all keep flashlights on our bikes, right?

I have always shyed away from LED flashlights because all the ones I saw were really not all that bright, although I loved the longer battery life. I did buy the 3 LED trunk light from E/C about 2 years ago and found it totally inadequate. (not to mention that the glue from the velcro strips wouldn't stay in place)

Well things have changed. I am always confident of anything that Mag Instruments comes out with because they build nothing buy quality products.

I was at Home Depot over the weekend and noticed that Mag had finally come out with LED products. I bought a 3AA mini-Mag and a replacement led module for my full size 2 D cell Mag.

These LEDs are amazing. They are all single LED 3 watt modules. I compared my standard mini against the new LED mini and had to pull the batteries out of the standard one and test them because I though they were low. The difference was that dramatic. The 3 watt LED is at least 5 times brighter, probably more. And it lasts 100 hours compared to the 5 hours of the standard version.

They make a 2 AA mini mag with a 3 watt LED too, but for some reason HD didn't carry it.

The conversion for the other flashlight was fantastic also, although the difference wasn't quite as dramatic. But this is my emergency flashlight, so the extra run time was worth the changeover. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they have a conversion LED for the standard AA mini. (at least yet) I wish they did because I have about 5 of those suckers!

I am even thinking of how to mount one of the 3 D-cell conversion LEDs in my trunk through a 5 volt regulator. It would make one hell of a great compact trunk light.

Just thought you guys would want to know about these new flashlights. They are a gotta have!

I can see now that LED headlights are not far away.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Yes they do have the conversion for the AA Mini Maglite. The ones I have are NiteIze and are a 3 LED unit. They work very well.
http://www.niteize.com I hate to admit this but I got them at Wally World.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
I bought a nice 3-LED flashlight last summer - the beauty part is it doesn't take batteries - you wind it up! It works great and no problem with dead batteries. 8)

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Get a SureFire flashlight and all your concerns or worries would be over. The BEST flashlights made. Period. You get what you pay for.
I have one in my van, bike and a rechargable in the house. They are the standard issue for the FBI and most other law enforement agencies.
www.surefire.com

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
William Anzik said:
I bought a nice 3-LED flashlight last summer - the beauty part is it doesn't take batteries - you wind it up! It works great and no problem with dead batteries. 8)
I have something similar I got for Xmas. I told my kids what it was, and they got it on sale from Menards for under 3 bucks. About the size of a mans hand, thick as a cigarrette pack wind up. I've seen brighter, but, I imagine it'll work under most circumstances. Also, I have one of those CVS pharmacy flashlights, about the size of a quarter on my keyring. Dang bright that one is for a buck.

Mag Lite makes some good stuff. I'll have to investigate.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
n9frp said:
William Anzik said:
I have something similar I got for Xmas. I told my kids what it was, and they got it on sale from Menards for under 3 bucks. About the size of a mans hand, thick as a cigarrette pack wind up. I've seen brighter, but, I imagine it'll work under most circumstances.
Well, if it's the same as mine I got ripped! Mine's a little smaller than an average sized flashlight and cost $14 I think. Click once and the middle LED comes on by itself - click again and all 3 come on.

I also always carry a couple Flameless Flares - little red led flashers that run on 2 AAA batteries. I sold a bunch on here over the summer. 8)

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I've had a lot of experience with these items. LED lights and flashlights are EXCELLENT at close range, but they do not project beyond about two yards. They are also deeply DIMinished by ambient light. Xenon works best for penetration into the woods.

For geocaching, I have a 21 LED headlight that I wear and a 19 LED flashlight for poking around up close, but nothing beats the Xenon lights for long distance, deer, duck, rabbit or Bogey spotting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/21-LED-4-Mode-Water ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Mini-19-LED-Pol ... dZViewItem

Note: Unless they've improved the technology recently, anything over 21 LED's running off of 3AAA batteries will actually be DIMMER than those 19 & 21 ones listed in the links. 21 seems the max for the voltage, but FYI, I have not bought anything above 21 LED's in about a year so they could be better than they were.

I also qualify this post with the fact that I have no experience with the LED flashlights mentioned by others in this thread, but have been disappointed in any that I have found at the hardware stores locally so far.

I use a 6 LED light for the wing trunk which I have mounted between the latches so it takes up absolutely NO room in the trunk at all. Hooks to the hot wire between the trunk lids. The light is good enough for finding stuff (at least good enough for finding the flashlight I have stored in there!)

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had a lot of experience with these items. LED lights and flashlights are EXCELLENT at close range, but they do not project beyond about two yards. They are also deeply DIMinished by ambient light. Xenon works best for penetration into the woods.
Anybody who reads my posts regularly knows that I don't impress easily. Whatever AA or D cell battery powered flashlight you have in your garage or car glove compartment, whether it be a Krypton, Xenon, or whatever, these new Mag LEDs are brighter. This is a new technology LED that Mag is using. If you have bought an LED flashlight and not been impressed, (like me) this will change your mind. Keep in mind that I am not comparing them to those monster 300,000 candlepower lights that use 6 volt lantern batteries. I am talking about standard flashlights.

These new Mags are NOT like those supposedly high output 3 LED versions that are sold everywhere. I have seen those and I am not impressed with them either. This is a single LED that is rated at 3 watts. I took it out in the backyard last night and it lit up the backyard brighter than any standard flashlight I have ever used.

I have seen the a lot of the 3 LED flashlights and I have seen a few of the aftermarket conversions for Maglights. They do not have a fraction of the output of these new single LED Mags.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
LarryM, Speaking of those aftermarket conversions.....Iwas at my local Fry's and thye had those conversion kits. I installed one on my 3 DD Maglight but I could not get it to work on my 2 AA light. I need to take it back. The kits were very cheap in price. Like 4.00 bucks or something. That why I figured what the hell. I have all these Mag lights laying around I might as well do something with them. But I sure love my Surefire! I use the E2 Defender the most.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
This Browning is also an amazingly bright small flashlight that only has one LED bulb. It's a bit pricely and has a 6 volt system.
it's been my expereience that the quality of the reflector is a key part of a bright light.
I got this as a gift and probably would never have paid $49.00 for it.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Harbor Frieght has a 5 LED two AA flashlight that is awesome!
about five bucks each .... I got four of them.

I purchased them after being impressed by my friends 5 LED two AA that he got a a gun show for $45 ....

I'm pretty sure it's the same light.

Dennis

·
Registered
638 Posts
Harbor Freight also has a 16 LED 3D cell light that it puts on sale for $12.99 occasionally.
Also, if you hop on down to your local True Value store they may still have some of the December bargain of the month 16 LED 3 D cell lights for $10.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Mag lights

I just purchased a 2 D 3 watt single led Mag Lite at Wally World. Quite impressed with it in the woods. Also noticed they carry the 3 watt single led conversion kits for both their D size and the AA size flashlights as well.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,102 Posts
One of my jobs at work is being a pipe welder and I use a mini flashlight at work to look inside of pipe while welding to check the root passes of pipe welds. I have used the Mag mini flashlights for years. They work well when new, but I never liked how fast the batterys ran down and how often the bulbs would burn out with the mini Mag flashlights.

I have not been impressed with most of the LED flashlights on the market either until just recently. I was in Sears and noticed a Craftsman mini LED flashlight that has a magnifier lense and also came with a holder that goes on your belt for under 15 dollars. I bought it and was very impressed with how much and how bright the light is that this LED flashlight produces. With it's magnifier lense it works better than any mini flashlight I have tried so far and it's very good outside in the dark lighting up a circle of about 12ft in dia on a wall at about 30ft away.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Mag lights

Wayne Saunders said:
I just purchased a 2 D 3 watt single led Mag Lite at Wally World. Quite impressed with it in the woods. Also noticed they carry the 3 watt single led conversion kits for both their D size and the AA size flashlights as well.
Wayne, are you sure they had AA Mag conversions. Home Depot only had the C and D conversions. I even went on Mags website and they don't list a AA conversion.

·
Registered
359 Posts
light

True Value Hardware had a 3 D battery aluminum body flashlight that contained 30 LED's. They were on sale before Christmas for $9.95. I figured ,"how bad could it be" and bought one. After I got back to the shop and installed the included batteries, I was very surpised how bright it was. I was truly impressed by this light. So impressed I went and bought another one.

·
Love The DCT
12,185 Posts
If you want an excellent, powerful LED flashlight, get an Inova T3 or the T4 rechargeable. The T3 is rated at 85 lumens, and the T4 is rated at 100 lumens. The T3 uses two CR123A lithium batteries, and the T4 uses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. Cost is about 65 bucks for the T3 and 112 bucks for the T4.

Another good choice is the new Streamlight Stinger LED rechargeable flashlight. It is rated at 80 lumens, has three brightness settings, plus a strobe function. Depending on what type of charger you want, its cost range from 70 bucks to 125 bucks. Another good brand for LED flashlights is SureFire.

Yea, they cost way more compared to most LED flashlights out there, but you get what you pay for. Waldo, these LED flashlights will definitely illuminate beyond two yards. Range is 250 to 300 ft. Check em out at www.brightguy.com

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I have both the Surefire and ASP flashlights, both a very bright.

I also have a few of the Mini Mags around the house...I'm going to check into the LED conversions, sounds good...

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
My spouse claims I have a flashlight fetish..... I guess I'll prove her right by looking over these new models..... :wink:

1 - 20 of 122 Posts