GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Looks good SHOE make fine helmets I think some helmet manufactures these days make the face cheek pads to small on purpose so you have to buy it in a different size ? I like my helmets to fit tight around the face cheek area so when brought my new ARIA helmet which came standard with 30mm pads I had to order the 35mm which was a lot better but then I really should have got the 40mm instead maybe I should start eating more to put some fat on my face :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good SHOE make fine helmets I think some helmet manufactures these days make the face cheek pads to small on purpose so you have to buy it in a different size ? I like my helmets to fit tight around the face cheek area so when brought my new ARIA helmet which came standard with 30mm pads I had to order the 35mm which was a lot better but then I really should have got the 40mm instead maybe I should start eating more to put some fat on my face :thumbup:

Shoei allows us to swap cheekpads at no cost when the helmet is new. After that, you'll pay for them (about $49 for the Neotec II pads). Arai does not offer this option. The Neotec II has a somewhat larger shell than the older version, so I had to go from the stock 35mm pads to the 39mm pads. My face could never be described as "skinny".

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Shoei allows us to swap cheekpads at no cost when the helmet is new. After that, you'll pay for them (about $49 for the Neotec II pads). Arai does not offer this option. The Neotec II has a somewhat larger shell than the older version, so I had to go from the stock 35mm pads to the 39mm pads. My face could never be described as "skinny".
My local Shuberth dealer, the BMW shop, swapped out pads for a best fit on my C4 for me. It’s a great service. They encourage it.

That’s a nice looking helmet.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Very, Very Nice!! Shoei's fit me , Arai is also a great helmet. just don't fit my head as good, Spendy but well worth the $$. jmop

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I have had the shoie neotech for about 3 years now. I first ordered the XXL and when i first put it on it fit good for a few months and after breaking in kind of set on my head and was a little loose. I ordered an xl liner to replace the XXL and it fits perfect. I will waite till my new bike in a few more years and spring for the new shoie. Nice looking helmet, what is the difference.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Until purchasing the Neotec II this past summer, I was a helmet hater. I would leave storage room on a trip to shuck the lid as soon as arriving in a no helmet state.

This is the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn.

My wife will not ride without a helmet. I bought her a Neotec II, against her wishes. After a day with it, she will not wear anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Wow what a nice looking helmet-I bought the Matte Blue but man that Color would go great with my Hawkseye Blue DCT Tour! Enuff to make me wanna purchase again to get that color/graphics!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm interested in knowing if it is quieter than the old NeoTech and if the airflow is better?

I'll let you know....still haven't worn it on the road, as I'm waiting on the 39mm pads which are back ordered until 1/17.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
As requested, a ride review:
Your reviewer: 44 years riding experience, retired LEO, currently working in an independent motorcycle shop since the FAA is holding my medical hostage. I normally wear a medium helmet in most every brand except Arai, where a small fits me best. Helmet prior to the Neotec II was a Neotec I. I also have a RF1200 and an Arai DTX.

The helmet reviewed: Shoei Neotec II, size medium with 39mm cheekpads (35mm is standard), Splicer TC-2 graphic (N1= Neotec I, N2= Neotec II)

Fit: Shell size on the N2 seems a bit larger than the N1. I can fit comfortably into a small N2, but the crown fit me better on the medium size. The 39mm cheekpads made the fit just about perfect for my face. Keep in mind I have about an hour of riding time in the new N2. The padding is plush and comfortable and the quick release chin strap is a welcome feature.

Noise: Initially, I thought the N2 was the same as the N1 for noise, then I figured out I did not have the face shield completely latched. Once it was latched the N2 is much quieter than the N1. With the N1, I would get some wind noise around the top of the helmet which became louder with the top vent open. The N2 did not produce much wind noise at all near the top of the helmet with the vent open or closed. I ride behind a wind shield, so it's a little difficult to judge overall wind noise, but I did stick my head into the wind stream and did not feel wind noise was excessive for a modular helmet. Modulars are more noisy than most full face helmets due to the extra seams and width of the helmet. I normally ride with the shield open and the internal sun visor down for maximum airflow to the face area.

Venting: Well, Hey Now! I can actually feel a good flow of air from the top vent, much better than the N1. The chin vent flows slightly better than the N1. It feels as if the airflow gets to more of my head than just the part near the vent opening. Can't wait to see how it does in the Phoenix heat.

Peripheral Vision: Better than the N1. I don't have to turn my head as far to see the same portion of the adjoining lane. Makes life easier on the neck.

Overall: I'm very happy with this helmet. I will have to get in a few long days to test all-day comfort, but for my commute to work (secondary roads, freeway and surface streets) it is comfortable. I weighed this helmet on a postal scale and it came in at just under 4 pounds...not light, but it doesn't feel like a 4 pound helmet. Almost all the local LEO's wear these all day, everyday and we rarely hear complaints about weight or comfort. Since I work in the industry, I can have any helmet I want (usually at a good discount) and I get to see, feel, touch, disassemble and re-assemble most major brands and the Neotec II is what I chose for me. Your mileage may vary.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts