GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i've been thinking about doing this for a little while now, and I finally took the plunge. I had to replace a lens on one of my fog lights and while looking for the lens, I also found replacement bulbs for the fog lights. These are LED bulbs that I found that are direct replacement bulbs for the halogen bulbs. I also put in some of the those round protectors for the fog lights. The other thing I did was to scuff up the lower cowl and spray it with some black undercoating spray. Got it all put back together and I think it looks pretty sharp. Here's a few pics to show the difference. The first three are from when I first got the bike. The rest are from today.

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
Looks good. So do tell the brand and where you get them!

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Greg, the bulbs I ordered from Cyclemax.com and they turned out to be Pathfinder LED bulbs. They are pretty decent lights and I've got the Pathfinder bulbs in the headlights so they match up pretty good. For $27 each, it was cheaper than $250-$300 for a new pair of fog lights. And it was easy to change the bulbs.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Thanks Griff!

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Two gremlin bells. You ain't taking any chances.:thumbup:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Your H3 LED bulbs appear to be quite a bit brighter than the stock halogen bulbs. I cheaped out and ordered a set of H3 LED bulbs on ebay for under ten bucks, as I recall. Installed one and then compared it with the stock halogen on the other side. Removed the cheap LED bulb and tossed them in the trash. I've been leery about throwing more money into LED bulbs if they don't work well as a halogen replacement. Another question I have is I'm wondering how your Pathfinder LEDs would work behind a yellow acrylic lens protector? I have a set of clear lens protectors like yours, but wanted the look of the yellow fog lamps. I found on ebay a place to buy pre-cut 3" yellow acrylic discs. They look really good with the stock 35W halogen bulbs, but I'm curious as to how they would do with bright LED bulbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two gremlin bells. You ain't taking any chances.:thumbup:
After my last Wing was totaled by a driver that wasn't paying attention, I don't want to take chances. Once of the bells was on the old bike so I figured, it kept me from harm, I'll put it on the new bike. So far, so good. :smile2:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your H3 LED bulbs appear to be quite a bit brighter than the stock halogen bulbs. I cheaped out and ordered a set of H3 LED bulbs on ebay for under ten bucks, as I recall. Installed one and then compared it with the stock halogen on the other side. Removed the cheap LED bulb and tossed them in the trash. I've been leery about throwing more money into LED bulbs if they don't work well as a halogen replacement. Another question I have is I'm wondering how your Pathfinder LEDs would work behind a yellow acrylic lens protector? I have a set of clear lens protectors like yours, but wanted the look of the yellow fog lamps. I found on ebay a place to buy pre-cut 3" yellow acrylic discs. They look really good with the stock 35W halogen bulbs, but I'm curious as to how they would do with bright LED bulbs.
These bulbs are definitely brighter than the stock halogen bulbs. The factory bulbs are 35W bulbs and the LED's are 50W bulbs. Here's a link to the description of each one:

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/h3_fog_light_replacement_bulb/73/26141

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/50_watt_h3_led_fog_light_bulb/73/233142

I haven't tried them at night yet (I work night shift and only work 4 - 10 hr days). I'll find out Sunday night how they look on my to work Sunday night. I'll have to find someplace dark to take some pics from the seat and the front to show how they look.

I don't know how they would look behind yellow lenses, but they are definitely brighter than the old halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
802 Posts
LEDs are so different than our old fashioned incandescent type of lighting. The rule of thumb is that one will need a red LED to shine through a red tail/stop lamp lens and an amber LED if shinning through an amber turn signal lens. A "white" LED bulb usually does not work best with colored lenses. However, I just took one of my yellow acrylic protection discs off and shined a "white" LED flashlight beam through it and a lot of light was getting through. A lot. Glad I didn't look directly at it! I may just roll the dice and order some LED bulbs like yours. Thanks for the info! Like what you did to the lower cowl as well.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
LED's still play by the same rules that most other light plays by. The difference is in what amount of what color wave lengths the "white" LED is using to get the white light. That is why some are more blue, some are more yellow, and some are actually "white". When you add "all" colors together to get some form of white and you can still filter with colored lenses. If an LED does not produce a color that a filter will let pass, then you get reduce light output of the desired color due to that lacking color. This can let you play tricks with different lenses. When I was pulling my ZZ trailer, I put LED bulb's in the lens because I wanted red turn signals behind the outer red lens/amber inner lens so I could use them as brake and turn. A white bulb with amber inner lens/red outer lens would glow amber but show as red with no lit bulb behind it. Red LED's there would only glow red. While I was at it, use an LED bulb in the center tail/brake section. But, that section also had a clear underside lens for the tag. That meant I had to use a white LED. It worked just fine, everything was only red. The LED TV's we have are special 3 color LED's that vary how much "red", how much "green", and how much "blue" is being displayed by each and every LED chip to get those vivid 4K pictures. There is a bit more to it for a TV than that, but most of that has to do with how it gets the resolution and fine tuning for color correctness.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts