GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greatings, I wanted to introduce myself and I had a question for all the experts.

First, a bit about me. I've been riding for 30 years now.. In my state as a boy you could get your MC license at age 14. I was at the door on my birthday. I've never been without a bike since. Even when my wife said we should sell the bike because we needed money.. I sill have my bike, she's gone.. way better deal. ;)

I've ridden most types of bikes from standards to sport bikes. I have been riding the last few years an 84 GL1200 Asp which has served me well. One of the carbs has a stuck needle and I can fix anything but a carb.. I think they work on magic or something. So, I picked up a one owner 02 GL1800 in yellow and I'm really happy with it.. It looks nice and runs well. I've put about 500 miles on it over the last couple of weeks and have noticed something which brings us to my question.

Driving straight down the road at 60+ mph I hear a "groan/roar" from the front end. I checked the front tire and it seems to be wearing really nicely, the rear has a bit of scalloping but not bad. Now, if I put a slight left lean on the bike (almost as if changing lanes) the noise is gone, totally. If it put a slight right lean on it, noise continues. I'm thinking front wheel bearing myself but wanted more thoughts on the matter.

If it is a front bearing I assume its something I can do myself, I have a blind puller and my abilities likely are good up until "step 5, rebuild the motor" Any tips on front bearings? I understand there are 4 of them. I assume the inner ones get seated fully and the outers stop flush with something?

Thanks in advance. I see this is a lively group, happy to be a part of it and do some contributions in the future.

Bill

·
Registered
652 Posts
Welcome

I see this is your 2nd post so that would make you a newbie. After 3 posts you are a veteran. Interesting screen name, now if we only knew what it means. Congrats on the Yellow Wing. So many of them being sold used I guess they are to fast for most riders. I am one of those mechanically challenged individuals who wouldn't know a roller bearing from a ball bearing but I do know (from experience and reading this forum) that the Wings are famous for front end noise and/or wobble. Tire wear seems to cause certain noises when you lean the bike. You are certain to get a lot of input to your problem. Again welcome and if you ever pass through the Sunshine state wave as you go bye.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
Say hello to Mr. Cupping. You can ignore it, replace tire everytime at around 5-8 because they will ALL cup or go to Centramatic balancing system or better yet Traxxion suspension or best yet both. Everyother fix seems to be just a bandaid

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys really think that's tire noise? It doesn't sound like tire whine to me and the front seems to be wearing nicely. If it is tire noise that's ok I just want to be reasonably sure before I burn up an axle.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
You guys really think that's tire noise? It doesn't sound like tire whine to me and the front seems to be wearing nicely. If it is tire noise that's ok I just want to be reasonably sure before I burn up an axle.
90% of the time it is tire noise...

Dennis

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Driving straight down the road at 60+ mph I hear a "groan/roar" from the front end. I checked the front tire and it seems to be wearing really nicely, the rear has a bit of scalloping but not bad. Now, if I put a slight left lean on the bike (almost as if changing lanes) the noise is gone, totally. If it put a slight right lean on it, noise continues. I'm thinking front wheel bearing myself but wanted more thoughts on the matter.
My 2008 was showing the same symptoms and it was simply the OEM DunFlop 250s "singing" on the pavement. It was almost unnoticeable on asphalt but really weirdly loud on concrete. It completely vanished when I changed to Avon Cobra tires.

It would still be worth checking your front bearings for looseness, runout, or rough spots but if you find nothing I'd say it is just the tires singing.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I agree with the others. My bet would be it's the tires making the noise. New tires are quiet, but after several thousand miles, the "singing" returns. Some brands are worse than others, but they all seem to do it.

Wouldn't hurt to check the bearings for your own peace of mind then just enjoy the GL1800!

Welcome to the Forum! :thumbup:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hard to diagnose something like this long distance. It could be wheel bearings. But it's more likely to be tire noise. The first is rare, the second annoyingly common.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
noise

I will agree that it is most likely tire noise. Another possibility is the rear tire. They will fool you some times as to which one is causing the noise. You can get the front tire off of the ground by putting the bike on the center stand and putting a wooden wedge of some sort under the motor. Then you can spin the front and listen for your noise or looseness in the front. I did change the bearings on the front of mine while doing my normal winter maintainence. It was a waste of time and money, except for the "now I know" part. Another point for when you ask these questions is, "how many miles does it have on it?"

Richard

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
First, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Wing. There is a whole lot of useful info on this forum and about 2.5 million years of motorcycle experience combined (unless some of these jokers are lying).

I also think it is likely whining coming from the tire. It could be a bearing but, as mentioned, the tire is the most likely suspect. They do like to sing when they get a few thousand miles on them. I think that's one reason everyone says "new tires ride better". It may not be a better ride so much as its the silence they like.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
...In my state as a boy you could get your MC license at age 14...
hey, me too!, although we were limited to "scooters". Rode a Cushman Eagle until I was 16. Had a sidecar (really a utility box) I put on in the winter so I was able to ride it year round.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the warm welcome.. Spinning the front tire off the ground is silent. I'll assume its tires for the moment and enjoy.. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
Welcome. IF it is tire noise, it is most likely from the rear and not the front. The wind screen acts like a parabolic screen and bounces the sound back at you while riding. BUT, usually the noise from rough tires is most noticed when you ar slightly leaning in a curve either way and you are getting it straight ahead?

It is fairly easy to do a cursory check of the front wheel bearings. You owner's manual, under topic "If you have a flat tire" explains the removal and install of the front wheel. Follow that, but only remove the Right side caliper, not both. Wiith the wheel removed, use your finger to gently spin the bearings forward and backward. ANY roughness or significant resistance is a bad bearing. Remember there are two bearing in each side in piggy-back formation. On re-install, follow the instructions closely and do BOUNCE the front end and apply brakes before tightening the LEFT clamp bolts.

prs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts