GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
goldw2 (800x600).jpg Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a 2002 GL1800 to add to my collection of motorcycles. Paid $9000. Has only 46,000 miles. Excellent condition. I think I got a great deal! I have always wanted a wing and now I understand what all the hype is about. These are amazing bikes! Superb comfort and power! I can see it will easily become my favorite bike in my collection. I am making changes to the wing though. It is black and I have decided to black it out(similar to the F6B). The motor will stay chromed. I want to make my wing look sporty and more like something someone my age(44) would ride. My friends refer to them as "oldwings". Mine will not have that name. I have also installed Vance & Hines Monster exhaust and removed the baffles. Sounds awesome!! I have it almost completed and will post pictures when its finished. I am waiting for winter to go away to put the final touches on it.

I am looking forward to enjoying this site and meeting lots of great people. I have already read many posts from very smart people with great solutions to some problems. Hopefully I will get to ride with some of you also. I ride every chance I get and I am planning a cross country ride on the wing this summer.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
As you mentioned, lots of info here. You will have fun with the bike and this forum.

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
welcome to forum and your ( new ) wing miles = smiles check out wesexcellence on forum - think his avatar shows his bike - all blacked out !! think trunk off . has bigger wheel on front now .

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Welcome....the blacked out look is very nice. You'll find you really like the bike on longer trips and it opens the door to 1000 mile days if you want to ride someplace that is farther away and are limited on time.

I'm also 44, have some other bikes, and don't ride my Wing like an old guy. It has a great, smooth engine and can really perform much better than you'd expect for a bike of it's weight and especially if you do a few upgrades.

The bike is pretty great as is but it sounds like you are the type to do some modifications so I'd look at the suspension at some point. If it has the stock suspension, you'll find it is pretty soft and somewhat vague compared to sportier bikes. If you like to push the twisties a bit, you can do some very significant upgrades for not that much money which will give you better tracking, control and clearance. Front and back upgrades might cost you around $1500 to $2000 but it will feel like the bike weighs about 200 pounds less.

Anyway...congrats again. I'd suggest enjoying it as is for a while before you do too much though. You'll know what you want it to do after 5-10 thousand miles.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Welcome to the group as well. What else do you have in your collection? (Never mind i see them in your profile...Must be nice to have lots of $$$!)

I sold my Vmax to get my wing and have NO regrets! The more you ride it the more you will love it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
congrats on the bike.. how did u paint the plastic chrome?????
I didn't paint anything that was chrome. Luckily the bike had very little chrome on it when I bought it. The transmission side covers were replaced with black covers from a 2013. They fit despite what some say. I painted the floorboards, mounts, frame, front lower valance, and bottom valance.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Welcome!
The more you ride that '02, the more you'll like it.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts

WELCOME to the forum. Also WELCOME to the wonderful world of the Gold Wing. As you put the miles on your new ride you will understand why there are so many of us on the road. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the Wing.

Donnie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Black and Chrome...Very nice and hard to go wrong!! To add to that edgy look...you may wait to look into a Windbender HPS 11" Dark! Gives you the edgy short look with the benefit of a full windshield. Here's a pic...just a thought...Welcome!! :congrats: As said...More miles=more smiles!!

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the board. Many "smiles" ahead! Hey, 44 ain't no spring chickin' if you know what I mean. :lol:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Welcome to the flock.
Lotsa people think the Wing in a geezer bike - they have either never ridden one, or have ridden, but don't really know how. Granted, it might be a bit slower than a sportbike (my VFR, for instance), but the Wing can easily give a geezer a heart attack (or just pleasurable palpitations) if the geezer knows how to ride.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts