GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Wingers
This is for some of you riders that live in a warm clime. Has anyone tried the new Metzler frt. & rear tires yet and if so how are they doing? I realize that threr won't be high milage on them but how about the wobble?
Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
786 Posts
New Metzelers

I just put on a NEW front (mfg 2/04) and rear in early March. I have about 400 miles on them. They appear VERY nimble. Great response. Noticable. But this may just be new tires handling over worn ones. My 4th Wing. New tires are always a marked improvement.

Yes, I have the dreaded wobble when removing hands from the bars at about 30-35(?) MPH. All my wings (78, 83, 95, 2002) have had this. new or old tires. Not a problem for me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just put a new set on from the latest batch (05/04). I have only done a couple hundred miles, but so far no wobble. They seem to hanle good, but I was happy with my Lops too.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Hey guys, help me understand. Are these the
Metler ME880 tires that might correct the speedo
error? Or, are these Metzlers a different size,
model number?

·
Registered
146 Posts
No...these are the factory replacement (180/60 rear, 130/70 front) Metz which were wobbling quite a bit when they first came out. Metz did a quality control change which resulted in a several month backorder of tires. We're just now starting to see the new run of tires getting used.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Metzler

:( The Metzlers handle great,but I have the dreaded wobble at 35 to 40 mph as well. :?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Speaking of tires ? When a dealer or anyone changes a tire how is it balanced ? Is the tire spun balanced like a auto tire ? I realize there is the dot on the tire ? But are they actually balanced ? A lot of rear tire problems will actually show up in the front end. Like a wobble ?

·
Registered
146 Posts
How its balanced depends on who does it. I only take mine to shops with computer balancers (like for cars). Some shops still 'spin balance' them without machines. While I prefer technology, I do admit that simple spin balancing is all that's done for MC racers (I've spent some time in the paddocks, amazed that for a tire going 200mph, it ain't computer balanced!). The dot is the lightest (?) part of the tire that's supposed to line up with the valve stem. Some shops seem to know this, some don't. So, just to make sure I get exactly what I want, I make sure they will mount my tire dot-on-the-vavle-stem and then computer balance it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had my Metz' on for about 9,500 miles now. They grip like glue on both dry and wet pavement and they're quieter than the Bridgestones that came stock and were trashed in under 9,000 miles.

The Metzler's still have plenty of life left on them.

Yeah, my bars shake below 40 when decelerating-they did with the 'Stones too. I just don't take both hands off the bars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Metzeler tyres

:lol: Now on my second set of Mets and no problems. Great handling and easy on the turns especially at high speed. I had my steering head adjusted at 15000kms which according to my man said there was a slight play and was corrected. Are you guys that are experiencing wobble ? having tyres correctly fitted by experts or just Honda Dealers that will sell anything. Dont mean to offend but my years of riding you can put a tyre on and off and if its not carried out out with a system each time will be different and affects differently to regarding handling at low and high speed. Can you tell me where the next Wing Ding is to be held and what dates
Many thanks Coops
Adelaide Australia

·
Registered
824 Posts
Re: Metzeler tyres

coops said:
Can you tell me where the next Wing Ding is to be held and what dates
Many thanks Coops
Adelaide Australia
July 4 thru 8 and will be held at the new (not open yet) newest of the Gaylord resorts, "Gaylord Texan™" hotel in Grapevine, Texas. Grapevine is located at the North end of the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport north and between Dallas and Fort Worth.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I got 17K out of the stock tires. From start to finish, I could take my hands of the bars at any speed without problems. At 70 I could release the bars, lay on the foot brake, and didn't need to touch the bars until I needed to downshift.

The frame was replaced along with new tires (Dunlops). Still ok to release bars at study speed but braking causes the wobble. Also, I used to pull to the left a bit; now it's to the right. Ideas???

·
Registered
979 Posts
:D Fixed the Metzler tire wobble by replacing the frt with a used Dunlop frt go figure, I think Metzler needs to tighten up ther quality control just a wee bit more. Now if only my replacement frt Metzler doesnt take two months to arrive and wobble when installed. :? :sw1: :sw1: :sw1:

·
Registered
451 Posts
I just got my wheels back from Classic and had new Metzelers installed on them. I am happy to say, no wobble. This is my first experience with Metzeler's and they really feel great. As far as the chrome job from Classic, it is acceptable but not perfect. Will go into detail later when I see what they are going to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts