GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after appx 12k on the stock Dunlops then about 12k on Bridgestones my bike always rode perfect. 24.6k got the Metzlers for the GL1800 and now I have the wobble around 37-42 mph. Did 700 miles this weekend and I like the tires but not the wobble. Ive heard lots of opinions on this subject but my conclusion is the tire, front or rear, I dont know. My friend ran the same tires I did as we bought the bikes at the same time, put the Metz on his appx 2 months back and has no wobble. Any comments? I will cal them Monday and see what they say.
John in Albany,GA

·
Registered
271 Posts
John, I have a M/C tire and service shop...I have had from time to time just about every brand of tire wobble...don't know why, install new same brand tire, wobble goes away, put the tire that wobbled on anothe bike, it runs fine...go figure...mystery to me...have had wobblers come in and install steering head bearings, wobble gone with same tires on bike...sorry for no help, just my experience...take care and good luck...by the way the tire shop should have no problem replacing your tire...I would try front first....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rotation is right,already thought about rebalancing but have not done it yet

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
From what I have seen on the boards and locally, you have a real good chance of getting a wobbler when you buy Metzelers. Maybe a great tire "if" you get one of the good sets! :(

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im sure I could spend a lot of money on new steering head bearings and upgrading suspension but the wobble was never there for over 24k, then when I put the Mets on it was there. I want to see it dissappear with a tire change and would like to know which tire is the cause (front or rear).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Red said:
From what I have seen on the boards and locally, you have a real good chance of getting a wobbler when you buy Metzelers. Maybe a great tire "if" you get one of the good sets! :(
i've been hearing that since the 880 was introduced. i went through a period of not owning a wing, but i've had 6 sets of metz and no wobbler in the bunch. reckon i must be living right. :) seriously, though. i'm not sure what to think about it all. the problem could be part bike, part tire, part installation, part whatever.

i certainly don't doubt the folks that say they have a wobble. just wish i knew what the hell was going on so we could fix it and be done with it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I rode out to AZ, this summer on a set of Bridgestones with 8,000 miles on them, no wobble.

Had them replaced with a set of Metzlers that started wobbling at 200 miles and wobbled off the road at 700 miles.

Replaced them with E3's and still no wobble at 14,000 miles.

What do you think caused my wobble?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
jasonJonas said:
Red said:
i've been hearing that since the 880 was introduced. i went through a period of not owning a wing, but i've had 6 sets of metz and no wobbler in the bunch. reckon i must be living right. :) seriously, though. i'm not sure what to think about it all. the problem could be part bike, part tire, part installation, part whatever.

i certainly don't doubt the folks that say they have a wobble. just wish i knew what the hell was going on so we could fix it and be done with it.

Hello I can send you a metz with LUMPS??? so can mcmomma40 ..(shiela) & metz DID NOT replace hers...chuck

·
Registered
973 Posts
Johnnyva - After 24K miles the steering neck bearings should be retorqued. If they haven't been then that is probably where your wobble is coming from. Even if that doesn't help your wobble, which I am betting it will, it needs to be done.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could be a combination of several things but I still bet on the tires. New front being ordered tommorow. Will keep you all informed

·
Registered
741 Posts
I will pay shipping if you will send me the Metzelers.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's been my experience that the wobble in the metzler tire comes from the rear. Some are bad from the get-go and others develop it after 5-6k miles. If your friend has metzlers you might try a rear tire swap to see if the wobble goes away. Metzler had been good in the past about replacing them, if you can get a hold of their tech rep.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts