GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D
Contemplating trip to AZ and NM the first week of October. Pretty sure northern regions will be too cold. How is it in the southern areas of these states.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
September and October are generally the best weather in NM and AZ. Can be cool in the higher elevations and hot in the lower lands.

Neither should be extreme or uncomfortable.

Early October should be great. Enjoy your visit!

I spent many years in both states before I landed in TX.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
yep, what Fuzzy said, also can have thunderstorms still rolling around...pack accordingly and carry/drink lots of water.

:yw1:

·
Registered
107 Posts
If I may make a suggestion . . . . Be in Albuquerque sometime from 2-10 Oct for Balloon Fiesta (http://www.balloonfiesta.com/) its the annual gathering of about 1000 or so hot air balloon, an outstanding event.
The weather is usually great during the day but a little chilly at night.

dMac

·
Registered
58 Posts
dMac said:
If I may make a suggestion . . . . Be in Albuquerque sometime from 2-10 Oct for Balloon Fiesta (http://www.balloonfiesta.com/) its the annual gathering of about 1000 or so hot air balloon, an outstanding event.
The weather is usually great during the day but a little chilly at night.

dMac
FYI
I took a group of exchange students to the festival in the early 90/s and we got stranded by a snow storm. That is the exception not the rule but be aware that when you are at over 7K feet in altitude, in October, weather can change rapidly. The next day roads were clear but there were 18 wheelers over turned on the interstate.
bob

·
Registered
276 Posts
NM

I'm riding to Jemez Springs, NM for the last week of September, I don't hear about snow that time of the year!!! How often does that happen?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
RodeHard said:
October in Arizona is one of our prime riding months. The leaves up north are starting to turn,
You got tree's in Arizona ? That have leaves? All I seen was catcus. LOL
Sorry not trying to be a smart a$$ but I just never seen anything in Arizona that had leaves. :luf1:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Mike, ya missed them (more than one lol)...would suggest a trip up 89A from Sedona to Flagstaff...known as Oak Creek Canyon...truly a slice of paradise, even twistys...fun if there are no motorhomes in front. :D

FL-summer and fall are thunderstorm months and rain at lower elevations can be snow/hail higher up. Just something to be aware of the "possibility" and be prepared accordingly.

:yw1:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Re: NM

FLwingnut1 said:
I'm riding to Jemez Springs, NM for the last week of September, I don't hear about snow that time of the year!!! How often does that happen?
I think the snow storm at the balloon festival was VERY unusual and the chances are remote it would happen in Sept or early Oct. but it has happened.
and have phun!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
FLwingnut1,

Grew up around Jemez Springs (Los Alamos, to be exact). Snow is not impossible in October but, very unlikely. I have seen a few flakes in June also. The Jemez Mountains haven't had enough snow in the last few years to even open the ski area.

If there is cold weather that time of year it will not last more than a day maybe two.

Enjoy yourself, State Road 4 is alot of fun!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks for the feedback regarding Jemez. Gonna take about 4 days to get there, spend four days there with a group of friends, then 4 or 5 days back. Even with 4 days traveling, it will be almost all Interstate. :(

Thanks again,

Michael

1 - 12 of 12 Posts