GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I are making a trip to Cloudcroft, NM in September. We will arrive late on Thursday and depart early on Sunday. I am looking for rides in and around Cloudcroft for Friday and Saturday. Can anyone suggest rides in the area? Usually about 300-400 miles in a day is normal. Would like to keep it around that or so.

Thanks,

Billy

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Never ridden in NM., but if I ever get close enough, I'd like to get a picture of me and the bike parked in front of Maggie's.

('Wild Hogs' - Madrid, NM.)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Year before last we spent two weeks in just New Mexico! It was great and we really enjoyed it. It was just one of the states we have been through a few time, but never stopped to spend any time to see it. We loved it and would/will do it again. Enjoy!

Bash.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The road going South out of there to the Solar Observatory(?) is awesome. I was in Cloudcroft about a month ago . . .:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
The road to Ridosa from Cloud Croft is nice, it goes through the Indian Reservation. Before you get to Ridosa on the left is the gambling place at the top of the mountain, forget the name. Somthing the mountian of the gods or something like that. Don't know how you would get back other than retracing your way. Also is Ski apachie nice ride of course back down the same way. lots of luck.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Never ridden in NM., but if I ever get close enough, I'd like to get a picture of me and the bike parked in front of Maggie's.

('Wild Hogs' - Madrid, NM.)
A lot of people want that picture *** and are really disappointed to find Maggie's is a Studio Set, it stands in Madrid but it is a shell and has a chain link fence around the front.

We get to Madrid (pronounced Mad - rid, not Ma drid like in Spain) every now and then. It was an old ghost town, turned hippie colony now art community and is a nice place. There is a full blown biker bar/grill (honest road house) http://www.themineshafttavern.com/
a few hundred feet south of Maggie's that is real called the Mine Shaft Tavern.
There can be hundreds of bike there on the weekends.

No matter what, the whole area is great; makes for wonderful ridding and exploring.

BTW- the poster above's map; the 'C' is pointing straight at Madrid.
Also the map goes to Taos, I believe I would R.O.N., then do the enchanted loop since you would be just getting to it.
http://www.nmts.org/rides/taosHighCountryLoop.htm

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
BTW - it is forecast for 111 Deg F here in DFW tomorrow, Taos high of 81 F, Red River 71F, *iss me off........ can't wait to retire...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keep them coming, lots of good informations. :bow::thumbup:

Thanks,
Billy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts