GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
:thumbup: Very nice. I guess your Exployer didn't perform to your expectations.;)

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
cool plate...
au wing

... had some chem classes I see?
:)

sounds like a fun event to plan for ...

Dennis

·
Registered
688 Posts
Glad to see you are doing your part to stimulate the economy. That should do a fine job towing the RV!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Good looking truck should provide many miles of fun. Now that your home how was the toy hauler to live in ? What are some of the pluses and minuses ? Looking for ideas as we are planning on going the toy hauler route also.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Good looking truck. Had fords all my life and never had a major problem.
You take care of them they will take care of you. Just like a wing.:thumbup:

·
Registered
251 Posts
:congrats: Good looking truck. I want one with 4 doors.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Better put a anti theft device in it. It is the number one stolen vehicle in BC this year and last year. It even beat out the honda civics and accords

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4 Doors/RV

:congrats: Good looking truck. I want one with 4 doors.
Has 4 doors - the rear ones open after the front door is opened. The larger model will not fit in my garage.

As far as the RV end goes, the KDX that I have is listed as 'his & hers' but I believe it is his or hers. There are no pushouts, but it does haul the Wing and all your stuff. I took the large table that came with it and placed it in the back, using it to hold a crock pot and a toaster oven. This complemented the kitchen area.

For dining, I bought a wooden tray table and used a folding chair. I sat between the fridge and the sink - both accessible! Open the fridge & get stuff, then just move dishes to the sink while in the chair! When it was warm, I used the outside table for eating.

What I learned as a first timer: Buy everything electric. I have a crock pot, toaster oven and electric frying pan. For heat, I have a small tower heater which can oscillate. It is certainly very quiet, as opposed to the propane heater.

Since I was very close to excellent bathroom facilities, I never used the RV shower or toilet, making the sink my only item with water. I left the drain shutoff open all the time, but I did buy all the necessary plumbing hoses, adapters and those slinkies that support the drain hoses to the sewer hookup. I also bought a rubber doughnut to seal the sewer connection.

What was most helpful is that the experienced RV people are very willing to help out. When I set up for the first time, an old timer sat at the picnic table and gave me valuable instruction. He would have stayed longer, but he had to take an insulin shot!

There are RV boards just like this one - but for RV's. I just found it easier to ask those in the park if I had questions.

If I had to pick a toyhauler again, I'd look for one with a pushout. There was one in the park, but it was a very long 5th wheel - more than I want to tow. For one person, the 24 foot KDX worked very well. Mine has an interior wall with a door - other models do not have this. I just liked having the interior wall. There is a bed in the rear which comes down from the ceiling.

Loading/unloading: The key here is to either jack up the front end or put some wood under the ramp to reduce the angle between the ramp and trailer body, otherwise the Wing will hang when loading.

If I get eight to ten years travel before age creeps in, I'll have more than the RV cost in savings, as staying on military run installations costs less than $500 a month with full hookups.

There is one other way to go - Trail Lite makes a Class B RV with a pushout on a Ford truck body with the Triton V10 engine. You could go that route and get a trailer for the Wing. Of course, then you would not have a truck to ride in for bad weather.

I decided to start small as this was my first time. Who knows what's next? I guess that's the fun of it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks Bald Eagle after looking at a few toy haulers already I thought the ramp looked pretty steep for getting the trike up and into the trailer. I have a 7x14 ft enclosed trailer now which is alot lower to the ground and the trike barely makes it with out hanging up. I wonder if raising the front of the toy hauler would be enough to get the trike in ??

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Be careful on them ramps if you bottom out you can tear up your overflow bottle!
Don't ask how I know

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
On my TH the last 12 inches of the floor are tapered down about two inches from the main (flat) part of the floor.
.... that decreases the angle at the hinge between the loading ramp and
the floor.

No goldwing hangups yet, even with a steep loading angle.

Leaving the drain valve open all the time is not usually a good idea.
If you do that, any solids that may go down will just stick to the bottom of the dry tank.
Let some water build up in there before you drain in order to carry away those solids.

see ya out there ...
:)

Dennis

·
Registered
491 Posts
John, did you have a weight distributing hitch on the Explorer? If not, it would seem to be a good idea to have one on your new F150 even though you probably are within the tow rating for your truck.
That is a great looking truck, and my favorite color. :thumbup:
Ride and tow safely my friend.
Alex

·
Registered
825 Posts
You didn't get the Harley edition?.....nice truck anyway and a good pic of PA without snow! ;)

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Nice Truck! The Explorer did'nt work out so well?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Leaving the drain valve open all the time is not usually a good idea.
If you do that, any solids that may go down will just stick to the bottom of the dry tank.
Let some water build up in there before you drain in order to carry away those solids.
That's only for the black water. The line I kept open was sink water only.

John, did you have a weight distributing hitch on the Explorer? If not, it would seem to be a good idea to have one on your new F150 even though you probably are within the tow rating for your truck.
Yes, I have a Reese hitch rated for more than what I needed with the stabilizer bars. All of that now goes on the F-150.

I ordered the built in brake controller for towing, and the tie in has both the 7 pin pigtail and the flat four combination, so it is wired for anything.

Now, if anyone has feedback on a locking cover system, also waterproof, for the truck bed, just let me know!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts