GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Susan and I are discussing the possibility of a summer ride to New Orleans for a few days, maybe about 3. We have never visited and will be on the bikes. Anyone in that neck of the woods have any suggestions that could aid us in our planning would be appreciated, including the best time to go to avoid the rainy season, route to take from and area near Fayetteville (Ft.Bragg), places to stay that won't break the back, ect. thanks
Buck

·
Registered
83 Posts
hey vetteman,i was just down there 3 weeks ago, i live in the foothills nc.we rode 85 from here to alabama,then 65 to miss,then 10 all the way to superdome. 12.5 hrs,glad we only stay that evening we headed out the next morning early......

·
Registered
66 Posts
The heat and humidity are killers in the summer down there. Maybe spring or fall would be better. Taking I-20, I-85, I-65 and I-10 will take you straight to NOLA. Taking only 3 days won't give you much time to R&R and see the sights. Often I stop at state welcome centers and get hotel coupon books and used the coupons for cheaper hotels rates. Got to be careful in NOLA. If you stray a few block off the tourist areas, you could be in danger.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Buck I live about 45 minutes from New Orleans... I would suggest booking
a hotel in Kenner or Metairie.. not downtown.... a few of the chain motels
are pretty reasonable... Motel 6 was just remodeled and next door to the Kenner Police station.. thus I would say its safe & your bike would be secure.....daytime is pretty safe as far as sightseeing.. would be a good idea if you not familar with the area to take a tour if you want to view some of the sights... food in Nawlins is excellent...(try the BBQ-shrimp) if you want any other info .. I would be happy to help... pm me if you would like my phone number ok.. lots of very enjoyable things to do in Nawlins..
bike night is wednesdays ... I go every wed if its not raining ..

cosmic

·
Registered
19,314 Posts
I agree don't stay in downtown,too many drunks that might screw with your bike. Stay out by the airport in Kenner

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NOLA

thanks for the tips, it give us some basis from to plan. As far as heat/humidity, we lived in Miami for 8 years so we can take it if we plan to ride down then. I like the idea of staying out of downtown and as much as I hate tours they are undoubtedly the most efficient method of seeing the sites quickly. The bride wants to see "downtown" at night and do the tourist thing there. We'll see as time progresses. So many places to go/see and so little greenies with which to do it.
Buck

·
Registered
19,314 Posts
Most hotels offer shuttles to the Quarter. Be sure and drink at Pat O Briens and check out Cats Meow. Good places to eat and there are alot include Mulates, Dragos, Twin Sisters, Felix and my favorite Tujaches. You can tour old mansions, the overground cemetaries, or take a swamp boat ride. Going east from there skip I -10 and take Airline Highway > I don't live there. but work in the area alot

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have not been there since the storm......

The Audubon Zoo is extremely beautifull.......the landscape is awesome.

It has been re-opened since the storm.....should be a prety nice stop......esp in the spring when everything is blooming.

RRP

·
Registered
230 Posts
Springtime is a good time to visit. Also, if you are into the Mardi Gras thing, the week before Mardi Gras is nice. Don't visit during Mardi Gras itself unless you are a hard core person. Beignets at Cafe Du Monde on Decatur Street is nice. By next spring, the French Market should be remodeled. Cruise ships are returning and business is real close to normal. I was there last week. Ate at Tommy's on Tchoupitoulas. Real good eats. If you want to stay close to the quarter, the Sheraton on Canal and Camp Streets would offer you a good place to park the bike without problems. Feel free to contact me if you are looking for scenic drives such as plantation homes or guidance through the quarter ......... Swamp tours are good once the temps are above 80 degrees for a bit. Alligators hibernate in the winter. So do snakes. A swamp tours isn't a swamp tour without alligators and snakes.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you like Oysters then the Acme Oyster House is the place to go. Sit at the bar and watch them being shucked....some of the best Oysters I've ever had.
Get there before 4:30 or 5:00 PM on a work day or you will have quite a wait.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NOLA

Not to knock the NO oysters or the Apalachicola (sp?) oysters, good old NC has some of the best along with certain areas of Chesapeake Bay. There is no comparison of a cold water oyster to a warm water one, they are fatter, saltier and taster, the raw ones that is. Cook or steam them and the taste goes to heck. We ride up to lake Mattamaskeet yearly and eat the local oysters, 2 pecks for me and 1 for Susan. Too bad they are seriously declining due to disease, pollution and over fishing.
Buck

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NOLA

if we make it down that will be a promise we'll hold you to
Buck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts