GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3 years of riding my beautiful V-Star 650 I finally graduated to a Wing which I will pick in in a few weeks from Columbus, OH and take it all the way to Houston, TX for a total of 1100 miles which I plan to do over the weekend (two full days).

The trip will take us from Columbus to Louisville to Nashville to Memphis to Little Rock to Shreveport to Houston. Will probably stay overnight in Memphis.

I've sat on Goldwings and rode them through the parking lot but not for such long distances. I'm not worried about neither me nor the bike being able to handle 500-600 miles/day, but I wanted to ask you all about what should I pack for the trip as far as road hazards and weather is concerned.

I'll pack for cold weather and, although I hope for none, rain.

Now for the tech part, I don't know what the gentleman I purchased the bike from has available, but I'm thinking about taking with me one of them tire patching kits, just in case. But I don't know what else.

Any advice you care to share about what kind of weather can I expect in the second part of October along that route? Any suggestions on roads to avoid? Any suggestion on kits for quick repairs/road hazards?

Thank y'all so very much.
philip

·
Registered
624 Posts
The only advice I have is on your route.

I wouldn't spend the night in Memphis and I would take IH40 from Little Rock to Texarkana then US59 to Houston, unless you just need to go through Shreveport for some reason.

Congratulations, have a safe and fun trip. :D

C

·
0 Posts
Rain gear, this time of year the weather in Ohio can be VERY unpredictable.

Box of Flares
1 fully charged spare cellphone battery.
A cove to cover the bike when you stop overnight.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
With the current tire situation, I would take along a laptop. Just in case you need to borrow a tire, or have a problem that a board member might be able to help you with.

Congrats on the new bike!! Take along a good charge card.........you may as well practice using it! Wings like toys

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
before you take delivery, there are a couple of things to check.

First, double check the coolent fluid leval. Mine was way low after driving it 20 miles home.

Second, double check the final drive oil leval ( 80 weight gear oil )

normal checks apply after that........tires, cables.....stuff like that.

Just for the fun of it check you tire pressure to, My dealer apparently has double vision and put my tire pressure at 50 PSI :eek:

after all that, you only need a credit card, cell phone and a companion to enjoy the ride with :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Tire plug kit and air compressor

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
shuckaduck said:
Tire plug kit and air compressor
Absolutely. Wal-Mart for the plug kit and compressor. It saved me this weekend. Be sure to get a compressor that hooks to your battery. You probably won't have the 12v accessory socket installed and the current draw on the compressor will more than likely blow that 3amp AGC in line fuse (I also learned that the hard way this weekend).

Also, for that long of a ride, depending on whether or not a stock seat fit's you, consider having a backrest installed before the trip. If you're planning on installing an aftermarket seat (Diamond/Hartco, Corbin, Russell Day Long) then you might opt not to have the backrest installed since those seats come with a backrest.

If you're flying to Ohio, pack a small suitcase that will fit on passenger seat and include some bungee cords to strap down the case.

Like others have said: water, cell phone, an extra cell battery, maybe some good cleaning towels to keep your front windshield clean, and a multi-purpose tool like a Leatherman (although you probably can't carry that on the plane, you'll have to check it). If you don't want to pack that stuff, stop at a local Wal-Mart in Ohio and pick it up.

Good luck, have fun and ride safe.

Bartman

·
Registered
552 Posts
cjmitch said:
Box of Flares
Yep... ditto on those flares. A winger can never have too many flares. In fact I carry 2 boxes with me just to be safe :roll:

I usually give a few to the little kids I see along the way and tell them to light them right before they go to bed. :wink:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cjmitch said:
Is it more like serious rain or just showers you ride through?

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
philipx said:
After 3 years of riding my beautiful V-Star 650 I finally graduated to a Wing which I will pick in in a few weeks from Columbus, OH and take it all the way to Houston, TX for a total of 1100 miles which I plan to do over the weekend (two full days).

The trip will take us from Columbus to Louisville to Nashville to Memphis to Little Rock to Shreveport to Houston. Will probably stay overnight in Memphis.

I've sat on Goldwings and rode them through the parking lot but not for such long distances. I'm not worried about neither me nor the bike being able to handle 500-600 miles/day, but I wanted to ask you all about what should I pack for the trip as far as road hazards and weather is concerned.

I'll pack for cold weather and, although I hope for none, rain.

Now for the tech part, I don't know what the gentleman I purchased the bike from has available, but I'm thinking about taking with me one of them tire patching kits, just in case. But I don't know what else.

Any advice you care to share about what kind of weather can I expect in the second part of October along that route? Any suggestions on roads to avoid? Any suggestion on kits for quick repairs/road hazards?

Thank y'all so very much.
philip
Along with all the other good tips everyone else has suggested I would suggest a seat cushion of some type. I don't know your build but the GW o.e. seat is uncomfortable for long distances. I only suggest a cushion because it's probably too late for you to get a custom saddle built at this point. If you have the time and green, get you some highway pegs because if you're long legged like some of us you'll need that secondary peg position for comfort. I live in Spring about 20 miles north of Houston, if the usual holds out it will be warm here then. I hope you have a great trouble free ride. T. :D

·
Registered
792 Posts
Your getting a lot of good suggestions. Don't worry about if it rains or not take rain gear. Do take cell phone, tire kit and something to inflate the tire with. Don't worry about the seat or highway bars or to much of any thing else your only going 1100 miles, if your butt or legs get tired you can always stop and get off and walk around,never know what you'll see, then when you get where your going you can make your mind up about all the stuff that you want or need on your new toy. Do check all levels{ oil & water } and you will find that your ride back to Texas will be just fine.
Enjoy

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Ditto: on not staying in Memphis. I had to one night about midnight because I was ablut asleep. The TV was secured to the wall with a log chain! Nuff said!

·
Registered
634 Posts
azblackbird said:
cjmitch said:
Box of Flares
Yep... ditto on those flares. A winger can never have too many flares. In fact I carry 2 boxes with me just to be safe :roll:

I usually give a few to the little kids I see along the way and tell them to light them right before they go to bed. :wink:
A Winger can never have enough flares

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn, you broke me up with that one!!!

Had this vision of you . . . "touring" :lol: . . . along . . .

tossing out flares to all the admiring little tow heads . . .

Have a great week-end, Mr. AZBlackbird!!! :D

·
Registered
786 Posts
philipx said:
cjmitch said:
Is it more like serious rain or just showers you ride through?
if it rains here this time of year it can be some of the worse you have every seen, such as last weekend, and anyone would have been crazy to attemp to ride inthat storm. Cold, pour downs, with lots of lighting,

but on a nice day. wow it's a nice time to ride., cool in the morning 45-50 degrees

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Have you considered membership in The Honda Riders Club of America (HRCA)? There are lots of benifits for travelers and reimbursemnet for rider education. Check out this site.
http://hrca.honda.com/

As for long distance travel, in addition to the items already mentioned, you might consider windshield cleaner, a spare key, lip balm, first aid kit, and ear plugs. Enjoy!

Len

·
Registered
297 Posts
trip

I agree with JR&JR on the add on's, get to know the wing first, after 1100 miles you will know what, if anything, you need to change. Rain gear is a must, I keep an assortment of weather gear in my left bag all the time, you never know what you might need on a trip. You might want to have a alternate trip route, I have found that you can sometimes drive around bad weather.
I was raised in Memphis, and I agree with the others, I would not even slow down.

·
Registered
147 Posts
philipx said:
After 3 years of riding my beautiful V-Star 650 I finally graduated to a Wing
I'm not sure of your riding experience other than your post. Going to a GW from VS 650 is a big jump. Take Care. You may have more power than you realize ... especially on wet roads.

Many good suggestions here as always. My suggestion is take extra time and don't be glued to a schedule. If you feel uncomfortable, replan your route with one you are. I would limit who I choose to ride with until you know your bike. Not preaching, like I said ... I'm not sure of your riding experience.

Enjoy the trip, and congrats!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have not seen it posted yet so my suggestion is to take along a small bottle of Johnsons Baby Powder and at every gas stop just go in the restroom and pour some down the inside front and back fo your skivies. It will help keep you dry and comfortable spending long hours in the saddle.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You did not say, but if it is a new bike check all fluid levels and vary your RPM's for the first couple of hundred miles. Harbor Frieght has a 250PSI 12 volt air pump and a plug kit you can get anywhere. At any Motorcycle dealer get a can of Plexus and microfiber towels to keep the winshield clean. It should be a nice ride enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts