GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the bike for a week and put about 300 miles on it - not as many as I wanted, but as many as I could squeeze in. I'm starting to get a feel for the bike, and although I will need to ride it more to draw firm conclusions, here are a few early observations.

1. It's the most comfortable bike I've ridden in 45+ years of riding. Excellent ergos, suspension works for me so far, engine is dead smooth, and I love the DCT.
2. That said, I think a new seat (likely Ultimate's, once they get the OEM heat control issue worked out) is in order. I'm tall (6'4") and would like a little more room; the Ultimate Tall Boy pushes the back of the driver's portion back about 1.5". I may also get highway pegs, will decide after some longer rides.
3. The engine is awesome, with excellent torque and smooth delivery (I'm mainly in Sport mode, with some Tour mode). In Sport mode I have to be judicious with how quickly I turn the throttle, but I like it. I'm still breaking it in, and so haven't wound it out yet, and don't have an opinion on the top end.
4. I like the dash, and as an Apple user love the Car Play feature. I mainly ride with Waze showing, principally because I like to know where the LEOs are. No opinion on the Honda nav system yet, although I am going to try an build/follow some routes with it. (Shout out to Drgsin for how-to on importing routes.)
5. I think I've mastered the process of turning on the bike and connecting my Cardo Packtalk Slim and iPhone; the Bluetooth is a little finicky, but I can live with it.
6. I will need to get larger grips, as the stock are too small for my hands.
7. It's an incredible bike, and my little nit-picks above are just that. I can't wait for the weekend to ride it some more!

Thanks to everyone for posting your thoughts and experiences on the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
@rhledge Welcome aboard from Tampa Bay, thanks for giving your feedback as you smile as the miles roll on bye! Ride Safe!

Reactions: rhledge

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Im telling you man, the smile on your face wont go away! Im at just over 10,000 miles and still smile at how well this bike handles and goes. Incredible engine. Riding this bike isnt work. its simple enjoyment
Exactly how I felt about my '03 and now '10. Over 150k between the two of them and I'm still amazed, and smiling at how well this bike handles and goes, everytime I go for a ride, no matter how short. Honda knows how to make GoldWings, not perfect but I don't think anyone makes a bike that can eat up the miles and create the smiles better than Honda.

Afraid to try a new one, can't afford it now and won't buy new anyway so I'll patiently wait a couple three years, or more and absolutely enjoy what I have for many more smiles and smiles and smiles.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Exactly how I felt about my '03 and now '10. Over 150k between the two of them and I'm still amazed, and smiling at how well this bike handles and goes, everytime I go for a ride, no matter how short. Honda knows how to make GoldWings, not perfect but I don't think anyone makes a bike that can eat up the miles and create the smiles better than Honda.

Afraid to try a new one, can't afford it now and won't buy new anyway so I'll patiently wait a couple three years, or more and absolutely enjoy what I have for many more smiles and smiles and smiles.
Amen brother. as long as youre riding something that puts a smile on your face, thats all that matters.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
6. I will need to get larger grips, as the stock are too small for my hands.
Consider Grip Puppies instead of grips. OEM heat still works with the Puppies.

Reactions: Phil Howell

·
Registered
35 Posts
I too found the grips a little small (regarding diameter). Actually, I put an old grip puppy on the throttle side only (on that hand, I was getting calluses because the grip was too small with my gloves). I also had to cut out about 1.5" of grip puppy foam that's closest to the center of the bike because the ergos for my right thumb were not good and caused right thumb soreness. Once I took that 1.5" out, it was instant relief.

And yes, the OEM heat grips still work.

I agree the electronics are quirky; but being a tech guy myself, I can deal. But there are days when I leave the bluetooth helmet behind and opt of my other helmet because I want to ride now and not mess with electronics. It takes me about 4 minutes extra to get iphone plugged in, recognized, etc. if I go with bluetooth, etc. Also, sometimes I just don't connect the iphone and only listen to the radio.

I'm starting to get used to the fact that you have to stop to do anything interesting with the Apple carplay. But for the most part, I like Waze running -- also to watch for LEOs but also to see the speed and speed limit wherever I go (in cell range). I wish the OEM GPS has speed limit numbers too and current speed. I can interpret a number faster than a needle. But that's just me :).

I bought my non-tour 2018 with 1424 miles and I put on maybe about 600 more so I'm still evaluating, etc.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I too found the grips a little small (regarding diameter). Actually, I put an old grip puppy on the throttle side only (on that hand, I was getting calluses because the grip was too small with my gloves). I also had to cut out about 1.5" of grip puppy foam that's closest to the center of the bike because the ergos for my right thumb were not good and caused right thumb soreness. Once I took that 1.5" out, it was instant relief.

And yes, the OEM heat grips still work.

I agree the electronics are quirky; but being a tech guy myself, I can deal. But there are days when I leave the bluetooth helmet behind and opt of my other helmet because I want to ride now and not mess with electronics. It takes me about 4 minutes extra to get iphone plugged in, recognized, etc. if I go with bluetooth, etc. Also, sometimes I just don't connect the iphone and only listen to the radio.

I'm starting to get used to the fact that you have to stop to do anything interesting with the Apple carplay. But for the most part, I like Waze running -- also to watch for LEOs but also to see the speed and speed limit wherever I go (in cell range). I wish the OEM GPS has speed limit numbers too and current speed. I can interpret a number faster than a needle. But that's just me :).

I bought my non-tour 2018 with 1424 miles and I put on maybe about 600 more so I'm still evaluating, etc.

Dennis
it can be done on the fly and in a lot of cases, Siri can do it for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts