GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing the 18 model it reminded me of the first time I saw the 01 wing and just had to have one. I read a lot of things and everything was pointing to the new DCT model. I was excited to test ride one. So I located one, struck a deal, hooked the trailer up, grabbed a check and my wife and off we went. I told the salesman that it was a done deal if two conditions were met. 1. My wife must like the ride 2. I liked the DCT transmission.

When I arrived the bike was waiting and I was ready to be impressed with the new miracle transmission. We went over the bike and then we were off on our test ride. Starting off was strange, since I have used a clutch on a bike for my entire life.

As we rode, I noticed the bike shifted extremely fast and kept the rpms really low. I kept telling myself that it takes time to get used to this, it takes time to get used to this. After telling myself that for 10 miles, I pulled over into a gas stations and stopped the bike. I asked my wife how do you like it? She said it wasn't as comfortable as our Indian Roadmaster Classic but she could get used to it. She asked me, what do you think? I said it is light, fast, smooth, pulls like a train, but...... I hate this transmission. I said I don't like the bike making decisions for me and I love using a clutch. I was raised on using the clutch from motocross to slow speed riding big touring bikes and this automatic just won't do for me. She said do you think you could get used to it? I thought, maybe, but I don't want to get used to it. I want a manual transmission.

So we go back to the dealership and the salesman said Well don't you love it and I said No, I really hated it and it made me extremely timid riding in slow maneuvers etc. He was shocked and said everyone who rides these DCT bikes buys these over the old manuals. I said I have nothing against those guys but I just ain't one of them.

So for the first time in the history of me buying a bike, I rode away, empty trailer. I guess it being Friday the 13th doomed me from the beginning!

Well the sun rose the next morning and I went searching for a manual shift, tour model. This is not as easy as it sounds. I was fortunate to find one that was just assembled and put on the floor in Russellville. Talked to the salesman, struck a deal, took the trailer and a check, and picked it up. I didn't even ride it until after I signed the papers and was loading it in the trailer.

I absolutely love the bike and the sport mode is killer. I can't wait until bikes blues and bbq in Fayetteville so I can spend some time in the mountains. This will be my third wing and I think this is the best one yet. Look forward to being on the forum and learning about the bike. Thanks for having me aboard!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
It takes a bit to get use to the DCT, but once you do the bike is fantastic. I also own a Honda Africa Twin DCT which I bought last year. Like the OP, I've been using clutches on my bikes since I was 10 years old when had a Hodaka powered mini bike. Since sampling the DCT on the AT, I'd gladly pay more to have a DCT equipped bike. Personally I think Honda has the right idea with the DCT, it helps sales to less experience riders and old guys like me who have been riding for 45 years and want something unique and don't mind letting the bike do the shifting both up and down. And right now Honda is the only bike maker equipping their bikes with a DCT. Smart!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Congrats on the new Wing, I as well bought the manual clutch 2018, it's a great bike indeed, enjoy and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It takes a bit to get use to the DCT, but once you do the bike is fantastic. I also own a Honda Africa Twin DCT which I bought last year. Like the OP, I've been using clutches on my bikes since I was 10 years old when had a Hodaka powered mini bike. Since sampling the DCT on the AT, I'd gladly pay more to have a DCT equipped bike. Personally I think Honda has the right idea with the DCT, it helps sales to less experience riders and old guys like me who have been riding for 45 years and want something unique and don't mind letting the bike do the shifting both up and down. And right now Honda is the only bike maker equipping their bikes with a DCT. Smart!
I certainly do not want to downplay the technology or bash those that choose the automatic. I also started riding at 10 years old. Started racing motorcycles at 11 through my teens. Stayed riding off road until I entered the road riding in 2001. I say that to say, I depend on the clutch for so much that it is a natural part of my riding and security while on the bike. Am I missing some luxury? Maybe but with my riding style, I just need that clutch.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Happy is the biker that finds a ride that fits their style. Smart is the manufacturer that provides a choice!

Reactions: Dan18960 and Porkie

·
Registered
85 Posts
There is a reason they build them with both transmissions!

Great to hear you got one you are happy with.
Happy is the biker that finds a ride that fits their style. Smart is the manufacturer that provides a choice!

That's it right there. Neither transmission is right or wrong, they are just right for you or not right for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts