GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this board for months, read every review I could find and decided to sell my BMW and get a wing. I expected to trade some of the handling and cornering abilityof the BMW for some comfort with the wing. I usually go on rides of 300 miles or so, and I thougt the tradeoff was worth it.....

WRONG.....

I did not trade away any handling or performance, in fact I traded way up in all categories....the wing turns tighter, harder and faster than my BMW, its much faster, smoother and handles WAY better. My only regret is waiting so long to get one.

So, for anyone thinking of a wing, count me in as one who wishes he's traded up a long time ago. I have been riding since I was 12 (30 yrs ago) and this is the most amazing, do everything bike I have ever ridden...

My only question is this: since the new wings are so performance oriented, how do we get the ol geezer image to go away?

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I kind of enjoy the old geezer image and I am only 44. All I need is a Shriner emblem on my six and I is a regular wiseguy.

·
Registered
451 Posts
All the Wing is, is a crotch rocket with clothes on..... :shock:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Someone on this board called it a "Couch Rocket", which I think fits nicely. :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
danboyle said:
My only question is this: since the new wings are so performance oriented, how do we get the ol geezer image to go away?
:shock: Oh, HECK NO!!!!!!! :shock: By no means should we ever even wish the old geezer image to go away............................... This Ultimate Touring Machine gives you the power of the yungins, and the comfort of the "Old Geezers" and more importantly were not paying a couple of G-s a year for insurance.................... Nope,,,,,,,,,,, Well definitely keep the Ole Geezer image if you please............. ha 8)

·
Registered
823 Posts
I agree, in 27 years of riding the Wing is the best bike ever. I actually had a guy tell me the wing was to sporty for him.

G

·
0 Posts
since I jumped from a Vstar to this wing I noticed a lot more chiks paying attention to me...in fact the other day driving by the senior home I thoughted I heard a whistle ! :shock:

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I'm not surprised. The local BMW dealer let me use a K12LT for a half day before I bought my GL1800. I knew within a few minutes that the GL1800 was the better bike of the two. The maintenance schedule for the K12LT is a lot uglier than for the GL1800.

Plus, it was a cool morning when I picked up the K12LT... and the damn thing wouldn't go into first gear. I was told that it is one of those BMW idiosyncrasies that one has to get used to....

·
Registered
645 Posts
Danboyle

Fill out your profile
and in your personal notes
quotes year of bike color etc,
so we get to no you

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
danboyle - nice post and glad that you found your bike to be so good for you. It just gets better and the miles keep rolling on for me and I couldn't agree more with you.

Happy riding (tell more of your old Beemer buddies of your new found success),

DaleC

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hey Silver Fox...

"All the Wing is, is a crotch rocket with clothes on....."

May l humbly suggest changing that statement to: Tuxedo?

l mean after all, we also have an 'image' to maintain. Heh Heh

:yw1:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Danboyle,

Had you traded your BMW any earlier from what I've read on this board you may not have been as happy as you are now (considering that you have a new Gold Wing). From what I get out of it all, the Gold Wing 2003 has a much better ride than the 2001 or earlier. Glad you crossed over and welcome to the best ride you can ever experience on a bike. :blw1:

·
Registered
188 Posts
speaking of croch rockets a few years ago up at americade i had 2 of them come up to me and point and laugh..well i couldnt take that but i only had a 1200 then but i kept up with them for a few....100 feet or so lol i hope them two kids try that this year :a13: thats all they are going to see me do to them lol

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Danboyle - for all practical purposes the 2001 GL1800 is virtually the same bike and ride as the 2002 and 2003 GL1800. A few different part numbers for the same parts, but basically the same. Of course the 2000 is vastly different.

DaleC

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just bought a new left over 2003 wing. I am 38 and have been through the super bikes as well as the cruisers. I wouldnt trade this bike for any of them. I get a much better ride and as much performance as I need out of this one. I had told a friend of mine about buying it. I went by his house this past weekend and as he walked from his front door the first thing he said was "I thought you said you bought a Gold Wing". He had never really looked at this "new" style of the wing. He took one look at it and he told me he was going to get rid of his CBR and buy as he put it "An adult's CBR"!

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I got my first good ride in this year back in February. I encountered a couple of rice rockets on a country road in SW Ohio. They finally passed me but had to have been going well over a hundred to do it. I stayed on their tails until we came into a small town. At the light I asked them if I was going to slow for them. They grinned and said "hardly"

R

·
0 Posts
Old Geezer indeed. I am 63 (almost) and just bought an 04 RED GL 1800.

Traded my 1994 GL1500.

Ruggybear

·
Registered
891 Posts
I was a Valkyrie fanatic

Had 2 of them,Tourer,and Interstate.I thought it aint getting better than theis.Then I found theis forum.Bad news.When I heard it would out turn the Valkyrie,didn't beleive it.I was intrigued with the looks.I looke like a over crotch rocket with a sofa seat for Mama. I got good bucks for the Tourer,traded for a new car for Mama,9500.Lost on the I/S,bottom fell out of the bike ,cuz of the VTX,and Wing.Got the Wing and never looked back. I rides like a dream. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts