GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to how many miles folks are getting out of the original tires. I just replaced both front and rear O.E.M. dunlops with Bridgestones. The bike has 8k miles on it. The rear was completely down to the wear bars on the sides. The front may have had another 1000 -1500 miles if I had wanted to push it. I'm hoping the Bridgestones do better. I run 42 on the front and 42-44 on the rear depending on loading. The tires I pulled off were worn evenly with no cupping. E4's were not available at my dealer.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think I changed my rear OEM Dunlop at 4,000 and the front a couple of thousand miles later with Stones. I've never been a fan of the Dunlops for reasons completely void of any scientific facts. I just turned 10,500 miles and both Stones look pretty good.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Well I’ve got 7,000 miles on my Dunlop Elite 4’s and they still look new. I like them a lot. Keep pressure right.

Reactions: Woodsracer1

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just replaced OEM Bridgestones at 13,500, front had maybe 1000 left tho, no cupping or uneven wear. Put on Dunlops that I won in raffle. We'll see on those.

·
Registered
2019 GL1800
73 Posts
Replaced my front Dunlop at 4,000 due to road damage, so not sure how long it would have lasted. Just replaced my rear Dunlop with 8,000.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
16000 miles on the original Bridgestone's and they look like they could go another 2000. run 36 front and 41 rear, I live in Florida and have mostly smooth roads

Reactions: anotherone

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Different riding styles must take its toll on these tires. I just have over 12,000 on my OEM Bridgestone's and I estimate I can easily reach 15,000 with the tread i have left.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have close to 12,000 miles on my original Bridgestones and they are getting close to the wear bars.
I am planning on replacing them with the same Bridgestones because most people get less mileage with the Dunlops and they are more expensive.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I run 42 on the front and 42-44 on the rear depending on loading. The tires I pulled off were worn evenly with no cupping. E4's were not available at my dealer.
Overinflation? OEM recommends 34/41 iirc... I run those pressures on my 2018 GWT6 with OEM Dunlops. I have just over 9,000 miles on them, and there is still plenty of wear left...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
replaced Dunlop's at just over 12000. Still had some life left but was going on a long trip. Replaced front tire again at 23000 miles. Rear tire is now a Dunlop run flat and looks good still after initial change.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Mine came with "Dumb-lops".

Front: 11.5K miles and glad it was finally off the bike.
Rear: 14K miles.

Currently working on an ME888 on the front and a "stone" on the rear. Metzeller not making the correct size for the rear yet, so I am stuck on either a stone or a dumb-lop.

I inflate to what the tire manufacturer puts on the tire. For the exception of my Tailwind, all tires are inflated according to the sidewall printing. The Tailwind is too light of GVW for 4.80X12 tires to be inflated to 90lbs (or even 60lbs for that matter). For it, 20lbs works, and the TPMS I put on it has a low limit tripping at 16lbs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
12 to 14K on Bridgestones and I use centramatic wheel balances. Might get more milage but I generally have to change tires every year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts