GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working a long time on getting an upper peg for the vertical bar that would be comfortable and let me stretch my legs out. Well, I finally have it and the unexpected surprise to me is that it works so well, I don't have to take my feet off in the twisties. My boards can scrape all they want, but this peg doesn't touch down unless you really, really try. What really threw me for a loop was to discover how much fun this is to use in curves. I wanted to see how far I could lean over, so as I leaned, I pointed my toes in order to lift my heels higher and found that doing that actually helps with the countersteering. I kind of feel like I'm skiing through the turns. If I find crotch rockets that I can keep up with, it's fun to watch them working so hard while I'm reclining on the Wing. [ Of course, if they're any good, I don't get to watch for long.] :lol:

I put it together with a combination of Mick O Peg and Kury parts. What I came up with is a peg that can be attached to the top half of the vertical bar and swing far enough out that my legs can stretch out all the way without bending around the fairing.

One of the nice things is that it is adjusable, both backward and forward, up and down, and will work for riders with either longer or shorter legs. In the pictures below, I use a Diamond Seat with an Airhawk Seat Pad that takes me up and back diagonally a little over 2.8 inches. I wear a 34" inseam. So, if you have a stock seat, the length of the stretch is reduced to just a little over a 31" inseam. But it can be swiveled back to make it even a shorter reach. It works best with the Dually Iso Peg.

If anyone wants the info on how to make this, I would be glad to tell them. You have to be able to cut and drill 1/4" chromed aluminum, have a way to cut one inch pipe, and spend about $250 and some time. I don't know if Jim plans to manufacture these, so right now, it's the only way to get them.

Below is a picture from the side:

Stretched out.

This is the peg set back further if bending the knee is desired or if you have a shorter inseam. I pull it back to this position to ride the twisties. If I leave my foot on the stock peg, it rides pointed down at an angle. I have scraped my toe and it wanted to go back and down. I didn't like it. [BTW, I hate straight line riding. I prefer to chase crotch rockets and find I have more control over countersteering when I use my upper pegs. This way, when my stock pegs are dragging, I have a place for my foot and don't have to hold it in the air.

Looking from the cockpit you can see the fairing clearance for my legs.

View from the front.

This works great and obviously would look better if Jim decides to make one. If anyone has suggestions on improvements, let me know. Since Jim will not be making one any time soon, here are the instructions.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Dan,

That looks a lot like the set up, many of the tall guys have been asking for.

I know that you have been working diligently, on getting this project completed.

Now for us Trolls, What are you going to do? LOL :lol:

Congrats on getting it to this stage.

Bulldog

1 - 2 of 2 Posts