GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at new phones and the new 2020 bikes and I was wondering if Apple Car Play is worth switching from my Android to an iPhone?

Figured I might buy a new phone first then maybe a new bike. Nothing really wrong with what I have now, just thought it might be time to upgrade and was wondering if several updates later Apple Car Play is really a must have or not? So what will I gain and what will I lose by switching to iPhone or alternatively getting the S10 Galaxy Note? :nerd:

·
Registered
557 Posts
The old adage "ignorance is bliss" comes to mind...If you haven't experienced Apple Car Play (ACP) on the new Goldwing, then you won't know what you're missing. I think for most of us that have experienced ACP on the new bike, we really like it and use it quite a bit.

IF you do decide to get an Iphone I think you will be glad you did when/if you get the GW. ACP is pretty cool. A lot of different things you can do with it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
411 Posts
How much do you use Android Auto? If you use it a lot and love it the car play on the bike may be worth the switch. I am Android and use Auto a bit in my car but don't miss it on the bike. I stream music from the phone through the bike and use Honda's Nav. It works great for me.

I would not switch phones for just this reason without trying it as is first. You might be fixing something that isn't broke.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I use ACP every time I get on the bike. I have been an iPhone user for several years after having switched from whatever was the phone of the day back in the day. I use several of the apps available through ACP and the update in iOS 13 has been a really nice addition. That said, I could live without those features/capabilities and still really enjoy the '18 'Wing or the newer models. I tend to try to get as much as I can out of something and ACP does offer added value. I think it's been said before that Android Auto will possibly never be added to the 'Wing's feature set. But, that's something I know little about as I've only seen comments posted here in the forums. My suggestion is to get the bike even if you don't switch phones.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
@1stWing If you can get an older Iphone to sample ACP or if you have a friend that would let you experiment may help you in your decision making. I love the ACP!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I use ACP almost every time I ride. It enables me to listen to stations from Florida while in Ontario and Ontario stations while in Florida.... Can also get other stations from all over Canada. The new Apple iPhones are pretty impressive. I have the Xs and my wife just got the iPhone 11 Pro.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Not sure about your question, but the bike's GPS is a separate system from ACP. If you lose cell service, you'll lose ACP service and any apps that were running within that environment. The bike's GPS will continue to work regardless of where you are located.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
get the iphone. ACP is part of the nav system. it fills in the areas missing. with it you can add music, xm satellite without the antennae, police, road debris warnings, traffic alerts, no touch directions, restaurant, fuel search on the move, and a lot more. i have the 7plus, which can be bought cheaply and it works perfectly. can you enjoy the bike without it, of course, its the best wing ever made. but ACP adds to the experience, making it an even better bike.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Not GPS per say..but you can lose cell service which with most map apps would mean you lose the map even though the GPS knows where you are... there are map apps that have downloadable maps so you are not dependent on cell service

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Not GPS per say..but you can lose cell service which with most map apps would mean you lose the map even though the GPS knows where you are... there are map apps that have downloadable maps so you are not dependent on cell service
Downloadable 'feature' is available in google maps....

The google maps app has a section for managing them.
Found under 'Your data in Maps' in the pull down menu.

·
Registered
95 Posts
While rolling on the road i push the Siri button and tell her to play songs from Elvis Presley :) She makes a list immediately and starts playing.
When i get a Whatsapp message she reads it to me and i dictate my answer without leaving my hands off the handlebar.
when i am low on fuel i literally ask google maps app to take me neraest gas station and it fixes me a route just in a few seconds.
I dont have to store music mp3 in my phone or usb stick anymore. Just choose apple music or spotify song list of anyking of music and enjoy. The lists are always updated so ddont have to listen all the same tracks.
On the new wing radio receoption is not perfect and xm radio is not available in my country so i can listen thousands of radio stations with good quality via internet app on APC.
Long story short APC is a must if you like tech toys.
If you are an oldschool rider and just wanna feel the rpm and wind you dont need it at all.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have an Android but use an iPhone for work. I used Waze on Car Play and I thought it was great. It saved a big headache when it told me there was a bad accident in Cincinnati a few weeks ago and routed me around it. I was truly surprised at how many people use Waze to warn others of hazards.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts