GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AR has a new motorcycle trailer plate law that just started today, and lucky me was one of the first to get one.

The new plate is just a normal bike plate with a sticker across the bottom, rather than the previous car sized plate which looked quite dumb on a small trailer. It is still a lifetime plate.

If your registering a trailer, make sure you get the nice small sized plate, you may need to ask, since most dmv employees havent much of a clue as to the unusal ones like this.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Loren. It's about time they did something like that. Only problem is I got my tags a couple of years ago and am stuck with the large plates!

By the way, is that some "excess" chrome I see in your picture? :shock:
:joke::joke::joke:

:duck:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
what's the new law, Loren, besides a new plate size??

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Wish Texas would look up. Even on a lowboy, plate is too wide to fit behind the wheel. To keep from getting it knocked off, you either mount it at an angle or rotate it 90° and mount it to the finder.

Good on ya AR law makers. :thumbup:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what's the new law, Loren, besides a new plate size??
Arkansas passed over 550 laws that went into effect a couple days ago, plate size for trailers was one, a raise in fees for plates, titles, drivers license renewals are a couple more.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way, is that some "excess" chrome I see in your picture? :shock:
:joke::joke::joke:

:duck:
Yes, Harry, that is some chrome that I just can not seem to remove. My electric shifter is also chrome.

I guess I will be tossed out of the he-man-chrome-haters club.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Loren. It's about time they did something like that. Only problem is I got my tags a couple of years ago and am stuck with the large plates!

could you tell them it fell off and get a new one issued?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yes, Harry, that is some chrome that I just can not seem to remove. My electric shifter is also chrome.

I guess I will be tossed out of the he-man-chrome-haters club.

Y-e-e-e-s-s-s Loren....... Come over to the "Chrome" side of life! :shock:

NOTE: All "Chrome" desires may vary from person to person! :joke: :joke:

·
Registered
664 Posts
could you tell them it fell off and get a new one issued?

It almost did, back in 2009, up in Connecticut after traveling over the "CHUG-HOLE" infested :shock: roads of New York City. Had a guy pass us and point to the back of the bike and trailer. I pulled over to the shoulder and sure enough, the plates on the trailer were hanging by one loose bolt! Could have fallen off then if I hadn't found another bolt and tightened them both back up. :cool:

That would be one way to get new perminent plates for the trailer. :thumbup:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was explained to me that, in Arkansas, the perm plate can not be transfered to another trailer, It is to be destroyed if the trailer is sold, and if you loose the plate... you must pay the full fee again for another plate.

So in short, it is good for one trailer, as long as you own it.

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Arkansas Trailer Plate Size

I was lucky too!! I went in to licenses a new (to me) 2009 Escapade Trailer just as the law changed. I got the small plate but the original owner had the larger plate, so to not look bad where the paint was worn under that larger plate, I installed my old GWRRA plate (full size) then placed the new plate into the corner of the GWRRA larger plate. Actually, turned out really well and I get alot of favorable comments about the looks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts