GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi got my new project 1500 running today at first she started and ran fine .Motor is sweet as a nut but after turning her off and trying to restart her after a bit .She starts and runs fine for 4 seconds then shuts down .She will do this at least 4 times and then will run fine till I shut her down and leave her for a bit.
I have checked fuel supply and thats ok.She dosent backfire or splutter just shuts down.Dash lights don't go out .What could cause this?
thanks glenn

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Hi got my new project 1500 running today at first she started and ran fine .Motor is sweet as a nut but after turning her off and trying to restart her after a bit .She starts and runs fine for 4 seconds then shuts down .She will do this at least 4 times and then will run fine till I shut her down and leave her for a bit.
I have checked fuel supply and thats ok.She dosent backfire or splutter just shuts down.Dash lights don't go out .What could cause this?
thanks glenn
Glen.A common problem with the 1500 is the vac fuel shut off.It's rubber diaphram gets a hole in it and loses vacumm and shut off the fuel to the carbs.

Open the gas door and you'll see it on the right with fuel lines running through it.

To see if it's your trouble or not.

Remove the center console (with radio in it) then you'll have access to that valve.

follow the fuel line from the filter,then to the carbs,Remove the carb line from the valve and connect it directly to the fuel filter.put a small screw in the thin vac line.

Now see if the bike will run.If it does without shutting off again,then that valve needs to be replaced.

It's purpose is to shut off fuel to the carbs when you shut the bike off.

Some will tell you to just leave it by/passed.but it's there for a reason.

It's pricey from a dealer.I just put one in a friends bike $122

K&L used to sell a kit,but they don't sell them anymore because of the junk rubber they were making them out of would fail in no time.

The dealer is your only option these days.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the same as you but tried that this afternoon and it made no difference .Its like theres something needs to build pressure or vacuum up. That would answer why it works after 5+ attempts or a valve that kicks in after 4 seconds is sticking.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I thought the same as you but tried that this afternoon and it made no difference .Its like theres something needs to build pressure or vacuum up. That would answer why it works after 5+ attempts or a valve that kicks in after 4 seconds is sticking.
Okay.since you have already ruled that out,then you may have a vac leak under the carbs.(another common 1500 complaint) read this. http://www.hrot.org/martino/carb/index.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts