GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally picked up my new 2008 Nav/Comfort/Audio, or whatever it's called!!!
Wow, I finally know what all the talk has been about. Only had it since Tuesday the 17th and have already put about 900 miles on it.
I got the Black and added about $4000 in chrome extras, and other goodies, and it looks fantastic. Although I'm finding out just how much work it's going to be to keep it clean. But when it's clean it looks unbelieveable!!!
Can you guys or gals give me some tips on the best way to wash this big monster and the cleaners to use to keep it looking good?
Thanks for you help
I'll try to get a picture of it on here soon.:cool:

ValleyRider
David Smith

·
Registered
557 Posts
Congtas on the new ride.

I find riding in the rain does a good job of washing the bugs off.:?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Try a product called liquid glass. It is fantastic on the whole bike. Paint, chrome, baker wings, everything. Goes on very easy and comes off even easier. It is all I use on my bike. You can find it at your better auto supply stores.
Kurt:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Get a can (or two) of Plexus. Works great on all your plastic parts! Works really good on the windshield. I used to carry a can in the trunk to clean off the bugs whenever I stopped.

Be sure and get a good supply of micro-fiber cloths/towels! Cheaper at Wally World. With that black 'Wing you're going to need a lot of them.

Congrats on your Goldwing, and welcome to the GL1800 forum. See the "Direct Line Parts" link at the top of the page? Use it! Will save you a lot of money!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!! I use a nozzle with an adjustable spray. Rotate the nozzle to "shower" and make sure the pressure is very low. I soak it down real good then use a wash specifically for autos. I found that using an electric leaf blower to dry things off works really well, and it gets all of the water out of the nooks and crannies. I use "ProtectAll" wax on the entie bike including the shield and seats....

·
Registered
2013 Red GW
5,931 Posts
Honda cleaner and polish, Honda spray cleaner and Plexis is the fastest. I don't have time to spend on washing and waxing all the time so I found these to do very well. Black is the hardest to keep clean and my Dark red is second hardest. I can get it ***** and span, ride 5 miles and it's dirty again. I'll never buy a dark colored one again.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have used the two bucket method of washing. One bucket of soapy water and another with clean water. I use a microfiber to soap on and another microfiber to rinse off. That way I never get the inside of the fairing/speakers or other electronics wet. So far I have only used Protect All to wax. I am still looking for the high performance easy on easy off super shine wax product.

·
Registered
221 Posts
View attachment 1628

I use Turtle Wax "Ice". You can put it on everything.

Don't worry too much about the dirt. People won't really notice because Black Goldwing owners are extremely handsome and all attention is diverted to admiring us. :flg:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Turtle Wax Ice is great, saw a red bike at the dealer one day it just really shined asked the guy what he used and it was Turtle Wax Ice. In between times I use Honda polish on it, I use that or Pelix on the windshield. I know I'm the odd ball here but I use my power washer, if you know how to use it not a problemI probably put less water on parts of the bike than most do with a garden hose but when it comes to getting the bugs off it really works great, although I'm going to have to watch it a little closer this year I bought a Hotsy hot water washer last fall, should be real easy to get the hoppers, corn bore moths and all the other bugs off.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
That question will generate almost as much response as asking opinions about oil and tires. :lol: Never-the-less congratulations and welcome to the board.

:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
I rarely "wash" my bike because it doesn't really get dirty. I use whatever all purpose spray cleaner that is safe for plastic. Spray it on, wait a minute, hose it off, then blow dry with the leaf blower. Follow up with a spray polish.

·
Registered
635 Posts
One word:

ZAINO

nuff said!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
One word:

ZAINO

nuff said!
Dave, congrats on the new ride! You'll find that $4k invested in farkles is just the beginning! I'm waaaayy beyond that, but I've had 5 years to add stuff.

+1 for Zaino.. it is especially effective on dark colors, say like black.. long lasting, and the shine is incredible. It takes my wife's chalked out black car & makes it look new..

http://www.zainostore.com/

For your wheels..

Onegrand Metal 300

http://www.onegrand.com/ogpprodspecmet300.html

Easiest aliminum polish I've found, and trust me, I've tried tham all. Finally went chrome. Best cleaning $$ I've spent

Once you get the wheels polished, I put Rejex on them, which keeps them nice for a while longer than just a few miles. I try to get the brake dust off them regularly.

http://www.rejex.com/

Plexus for the windscreen and touch up on the plastic. I use mocrofiber towels, and I carry a 7oz can for cleaning bugs while on the road.

303 Protectant for the seat and the black plastic on your dash, cubbies, and the rubber around the WS and mirrors. Most Marine Supply stores carry this.

http://www.303products.com/tech/ind...Product_ID=428&CFID=47580472&CFTOKEN=64366171

(don't put any tire dressing or rubber dressing on your tires. It creeps around onto the tread area, and can be slippery. And while I'm thinking of it, ArmorAll is slippery, too... you don't really want it on your seat.. Whoops!)

I wash the bike when it's dirty, but I try not to flood the dash area or seat with water. Dry with a chamois.

To go back to the wheels for a moment, you will find that they clean better & easier if you keep after them. Or, go chrome. A couple of guys on the board here will do exchanges for pretty reasonable. Maybe $675 for the pair? I had mine done when I needed tires. I had the new ones shipped to my local guy, rode up, he changes them over, put the old rims back in the box, and I rode home. Fairly painless, other than paying for it all...

Dave
GWBBA #9

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
this is the song that never ends

yes it goes on and on my friends....

hehehehe

Cleaners are like tires, everybody thinks their system is best.

Talk to the guys n gals who have tons of miles on their wings and still have a good looking bike. They guy who has 20,ooo miles in 5 years is not going to know what the guy who has 250,ooo miles in 5 years does. (Not to say that either of them have the "best" product or application, but experience is priceless.)

Personally, what works very well for me is a spray called 210. I get it from wingstuff.com and it gets used on EVERYTHING. I do NOT wash my bike. I DO ride in all weather.

Honda spray too too long and was too much work.

I usually slip on the wheel cleanings so after about 10,ooo to 20,ooo miles I usually just spend ten minutes total for both rims with a bit of water and 800 grit sandpaper. Takes all the brake dust and crap away REALLY QUICKLY. Boom, done.

If I have time to clean, I have time to ride! Oh well. hehe

·
Registered
466 Posts
Congrats on the 08 Black Beauty. The GL is a fine ride and I'm sure you'll like it more as the miles increase.

I'm not anal, but having a black bike means you're going to realize that a dirty black bike isn't..... attractive, imo. :roll:

I use a good car wash with a clean microfiber towel to wash the bike. I wipe it down with a clean chamois.

For the windshield, rear view mirrors, instrument and NAV display I use 210, a marine grade plexi/lexan cleaner and protectant. It's several dollars cheaper than Plexus and does as good a job, if not better.

I use Turtle Wax Ice for the rest of the bike. I use a clean applicator and microfiber towels to buff things out. Ice seems to give me a deeper shine as well as better protection than normal wax. It goes on easily and doesn't turn white.

I use Collonite 850 for the what stainless I have on the bike [not much, though].

A wash and wipe takes about a half hour. Add in another half hour for the Ice, 210, and 850 and I've got an hour in. I don't "do" the seats or tires. After cleaning I put the cover back on.

I'm still looking at a good wheel cleaner and preservative but so far haven't found anything locally that I like enough to recommend.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts