GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a new E3 put on the rear today. Not sure of the exact weight they had to put on to balance, but there are 3 different weights on the rim. I'd like to put in Dyna Beads and get rid of the weights. For those that have installed them, how do you know how much to put in? Do you simply let the air out, remove the valve core and put them in through the valve stem? Any issues with TPMS? TIA.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
new e-3

I never had any trouble with dyna beads but now use centramatics. That being said, I would tell the dealer to put a different tire on. They should not take that many weights to balance.
I think some people put a small piece of screen across the inside of the valve stem to prevent a stray bead from messing up the valve core.
I'm sure some others will chime in here also.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Had a new E3 put on the rear today. Not sure of the exact weight they had to put on to balance, but there are 3 different weights on the rim. I'd like to put in Dyna Beads and get rid of the weights. For those that have installed them, how do you know how much to put in? Do you simply let the air out, remove the valve core and put them in through the valve stem? Any issues with TPMS? TIA.
OK. I don't intend to change the subject here but is the tire balanced ok? If it is, why mess with it?

Secondly, I have installed tires that took a lot of weight (I often change and balance the tires myself). The unweighted balance can often be improved by breaking the bead and rotating the tire to a different setting on the rim.

Third, I've learned that some rims are significantly out of balance so I now balance my rims without a tire installed and I've found that there's often no need to add weight when the tire/rim assembly is balanced.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Per Mother Honda:bow:, the maximum amount of balancing weight for the rear wheel is 2-1/2 ounces. Anything more than that indicates a defective tire or improperly mounted tire.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Most weights are now steel not lead so it looks like more than it is. thank the EPA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts