GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just about decided that the vibration I have, is coming from the two rear tire. Got new front tire, looked at drive shaft and everything feels tight. I took it out and it feels tight with no play anywhere. So now, maybe I'll replace the two rear tires. What brand do you all recommend? I have BF Goodrich on it now. However it has, hydroplaned in the rain with 20 lbs of air in it.
Don Pittillo
2004 GL1800 Lehman Trike with 38,000 miles.

B

·
0 Posts
Have you ever had your rear wheels/tires balanced? Of course if they have 38,000 on them and hydroplane maybe you should replace them and have the news ones balanced.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
If your tires hydroplaned you need to replace them ASAP. I just put on a set of Cooper tires on Holly's Champion trike. This second set is also one size taller then stock. The taller tires has made the MPH about spot on with the MPH reading on the trike.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
My MT kit came with Goodrich 235 70R 15 tires. I have 10K on them and have ridden in hard rain several times, the last was a New Mexico trip last week...no hydroplaning and I was running 65-75 with no problem. I carry 24-26 in the rear as MT suggested. They look like new. You might try the balancing and a little more air before the purchase...I would not think 38K would wear those tires out...just a thought.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've balanced the two rear tires 3 times. Each time, they would say that it was out of balance, but when I put it back on, I would still get a vibration. You know, it seems to be just like in a car. It would start around 60 MPH and get worst the faster you would go. I guess I'll have to get hew rear tires, but I can't fine anything that seems to be wrong with these tires. It doesn't seem to be out of round. I can't see any bumps or anything like that. I 've added 5 more pounds to the tire, so that would make it now at 25 lbs. At 10,000 miles, I got rid of the tires that came with the trike because when I got it balanced, they showed me that it was out of round. So the replacement tires have less then 30,000 miles on it. Maybe I should have kept more then 20 lbs in it. And maybe I didn't use the right tire gage (I have 5 of them and none agree with the others)?
Don Pittillo
2004 GW1800 Lehman Trike

·
Registered
792 Posts
Jack up your trike and put it on jackstands, run it, see if the vibration is still there, take off the wheels, and run it and see what happens. If it still vibration then you'll need to keep looking.

B

·
0 Posts
JR&JR said:
Jack up your trike and put it on jackstands, run it, see if the vibration is still there, take off the wheels, and run it and see what happens. If it still vibration then you'll need to keep looking.
This is what I did to find my vibration.

Two cautions:
1. Make sure it is solid on the jackstands.
2. I don't know about the Lehman brakes, but if you run it with the wheels off, you may want to put the lug nuts back on tight.

Oh yes, and be careful... It would be good to have a helper close to the key and brakes, just in case...

C

·
0 Posts
JR&JR said:
This is EXTREMLY DANGEROUS!!!!!
If an viehicle with a differential is off the ground, its wheel speed it typically 2 to 3 times the speed shown on the speed-o-meter.
At this rate if you speedo says 30 the wheel will be spinning at 60 to 120mph.
This could cause the tire to fly off the rim, EXPLOSIVLY. This CAN seriously injure, if NOT KILL YOU.

If you say it only happens when you get to 60mph, you must be sure that both wheel are turning, which will probebly not happen since both wheels will be unloaded.

I hope Im explaining the correctly... some one please help me if im not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts