GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see if we can get 300,000 views, 1,000 replies, and a couple people kicked off the board.

For every additional pound of weight I add to my 'Wing through a passenger and gear, how much does my stopping distance go up?

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
there are going to be a lot of variables?

what are the road conditions?

Is the road damp with early morning condensation?

Hot afternoon sun?

How old (miles) are on the tires?

are you pulling a trailer?

lots of variables

:roll:

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
J-mac said:
there are going to be a lot of variables?

what are the road conditions?

Is the road damp with early morning condensation?

Hot afternoon sun?

How old (miles) are on the tires?

are you pulling a trailer?

lots of variables

:roll:
Another variable:

How much Captain Morgan have you had?

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Another variable or two: What type oil are you using? And did you change your chrush washer with last service, at the time of skid? :lol:

If you're riding one of those faster Yellow ones, that'll extend the distance too. :wink:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rob(in S.C.) said:
Ice cream doesn't have any bones. (Just as crazy as that question!) :roll:
Crazy? Isn't it important to understand how adding weight to a Goldwing affects its ability to stop?

Sid Moen said:
-0-

What did I win?
So far this has been the only answer. Sid seems fairly confident. How can adding weight to the bike have 0 affect on the distance it takes to stop? (Hint: he's correct - but it does take practice.)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Hmmm, If I trust my ABS and slam everything on, the condition of the tyres and the road will change the stopping distance significantly as the ABS will unlock the brakes. So ABS versus Non ABS also.

Trev.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You didn't say that you were applying the brakes and you didn't say you were giving it throttle. Given that s=m*a (I think-therefore I must be) and that stopping distance is a function of speed, then you can add all ofthe weight that you want at a stand still and there will be no effect on the stopping distance.

So the answer is 0. Mine is the best answer because Sid Moen did not show his work. :roll:

Chuck
MBD

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Crazy? Isn't it important to understand how adding weight to a Goldwing affects its ability to stop?
Sure, but does ANYONE who rides a 'Wing ever think about that?
Common sense applies here, if you're carrying more weight you should automatically allow for more stopping distance, not try to figure some formula with a thousand different variables.

So, yes, it's crazy.

(Hey, you wanted to get some posts out of this, that should do it!)

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
STOPPING DISTANCE

does it have amsoil in the engine :roll: OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rob(in S.C.) said:
Common sense applies here, if you're carrying more weight you should automatically allow for more stopping distance, not try to figure some formula with a thousand different variables.
Except common sense apparently fails since several people are saying it DOES NOT take longer to stop with additional weight.

Actually, the more common error is to think you can stop FASTER with LESS weight. According to previous posts, this is not true...

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I argued a long time ago (the old board) with a guy who said he could go from 25 - 0 in the width of a 2 car driveway with ABS.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts