GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the rain will stop I can pick up my new red dct tour. I got the last one they had of 2018's for 21995, 24750 out the door. I am concerned about getting the bike set up for my wife as a passenger, she has a problem with her tailbone when she gave birth to my son @10.9lbs 19 years ago. I have a road king and she has not been able to ride more than a couple of hours without pain, it does has corbin seats which I love and can ride all day but the passenger pad is not a lot to sit on so I may be in the market for a new saddle. Hopefully, with pegs, seat, bar adjustments, (i am 6'2) I can make this bike work for us both. I looked at a Road glide but wanted something different this time around so I hope I have no regrets but I am nervous about the wing. Keeping the RK for now

Started with a mini trail 50 about 53 years ago and have had bikes ever since, now 62. Live in Houston Texas and ride west to the hill county and beyond to big bend so mostly 1-3 day trips are in the forecast.

Thanks to the members for their input on this board as I am sure I will get it figured out eventually, The saddle may the first change I make and look to wingsoft for help. Thanks again and look forward to the adventure
Bill

Reactions: Zirthimon

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Best of luck, and hope you find a setup that works for you guys. Keep an open mind and keep trying changes until you are satisfied. Share your experiences here for all to learn from. New folks=new ideas. Oh, and welcome to the board.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
my destiny is to just plane old never get comfy on anything! I use one of the air pads and after awhile just move around. The gw seat blows and the aftermarket is tickled. The bike is great so just do your research and enjoy! Oh also get out your check book !>:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
What area of Houston? We are in Stafford and open to hook up for rides.

·
IronMan
17,627 Posts
TRY SOMETHING LIKE AIRSOFT CUSHION . CORBIN SEAT YA MITE AS WELL PUT A PIECE OF CONCRETE ON THE SEAT. :surprise::serious::grin2:

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Welcome! It sounds like you're definitely not a new rider - just new the the GoldWing.

I'd say give the stock seat some time. If it doesn't work you'll have plenty of options at a variety of price ranges. :thumbup:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all, I just got in from Lufkin picking up the bike, 135m and here is my first impression, your mileage may vary

Very nimble but very stable, if that makes sense, can't wait for the twisties
Great fuel mileage 40-50 at 60-90mph
Beautiful looking bike
Love the instruments and layout of toggles and switches, very easy to find, **** I felt I mastered it 30m down the road, at 5 o'clock traffic
I am 6'2 and 230lbs, the footpeg, bars, seat positions were pretty good, when I need a stretch I just backed up on the passenger pad
The radio sounded decent, not audiophile but I am sure there are ways to improve if needed, just not on top of the list
was very smooth, love the suspension

Ok dislikes, this is only first impression mid you Maybe I should say possible mods may be nedded
It does have a drone but coming from a Road King with big bore and other stuff along with Sampson pipes, it really wasn't a big deal
It is a little twitchy at slow speeds, either manual shift plus feather the brake or keep the throttle steady, however going over bumps make this difficult
I was surprised the seat worked as well as it did, but is nowhere near as comfy as my Corbin which I can do 12hrs with no problem. I will put the wife on it and go from there, but most likely visit wingsoft just down the road.
I will need pegs to stretch out with, I just hate messing the engine bay up with garb
Not sure about the windshield, it seemed fine, especially in Texas heat but again it may be more a passenger request for more protection, for me it's good. Not sure about cigar smoking
Right now the bars are about right but if I move back in the seat much I will need the bars back as well.
Overall I like it, great price .99% financing, extra 6 years of warranty for 900 bucks. I will RK as well because I like the rumble, and level of comfort, and its, well a Harley

Now to pick up my motorhome and trailer!!!

Happy travels, Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts