GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Hayabusa. Should be a nice fit between my track bike and Wing. Bought her this morning and went on a 424 mile ride down the coastline and up the valley for a nice break in ride. My legs are killing me. Definitely not as comfortable as the Wing but was very doable. Hits 180+ mph with one deep breath. Track day at Buttonwillow June 9 to introduce her to the track. Hey you Wingers who keep talking about a track day, there are plenty of openings in C group. Be great to see you there and I'll be avail for instruction. Now to find a CT to try out.

get-attachment.jpg

·
Premium Member
31,973 Posts
White and black Busa ,sweet :yes1:

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
sweet looking bike and RAil in your speed zone 180 +/-mph :eek:4:
Rocketman you might have a chance to get him when he stops for fuel

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drawbacks were bugs all over my helmet and gear, little wind protection, realizing some of my riding muscles need rehab and I'm constantly on the alert for LE. Pluses are wonderful torque, effortless passing, much more comfortable than my previous sportbikes, extremely quiet (comparable to the Wing), great gas mileage at speed (35mpg so far), smooth/buttery ride (even better than the Goldwing) and pure visceral excitement.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Great ride.....I wonder why Suzuki didn't do a version of the FJR or Concours using the Hayabusa as a base. I think they would have a winner there.

·
Registered
630 Posts
^ A mighty fine idea indeed.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great ride.....I wonder why Suzuki didn't do a version of the FJR or Concours using the Hayabusa as a base. I think they would have a winner there.
My thoughts exactly as I'm already seeking better wind protection and in the process of designing a removable luggage system.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
A good idea, indeed.

Meanwhile, ENJOY that 'Busa! And don't feed the bears too much.

(I have to admit that the Wing doesn't get as much time on the road since the FJR moved in. It's nice to have choices.)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Nice bike. I had a 2005 for ~ a year. I believe it to be the best mechanically engineered bike I have ever ridden. Best tank I got was 57 mpg on a nearly 200 mile ride. At speed the pocket of air that flows over the rider is super smooth, even at triple digits. It was tame when you were in traffic, and a beast when the road was open. VERY easy to work on, with a few bolts to acces oil and fluid changes, and two bolts to lift the tank to check the air filter! (something wing riders would LOVE)
As much as I liked it, I found the riding position uncomfortable (even with a touring shield and bar risers) for all day riding which was why I eventually sold it.

Corbin makes Touring Bags for the Busa too:

http://www.corbin.com/suzuki/sgsx13r8bag.shtml

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
That's a sweet looking ride!:bow: I always wanted to ride one. I rode my Diavel about 300 miles today and the wind does beat my old bones up but the smile on my face makes it worth while! Look forward to seeing your track day videos on that beast!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Friend of mine has a Busa that is turbo'd. It is just a stupid fun bike.

If I were to replace my Suzuki TL it would be with a Busa. Suzuki has everything in one package. If your hurting after a day on a Busa, try out a ZX or a R1. They are terrible.

Have fun. For about 5K you can hide a turbo in there and make 300hp on pump gas. Food for thought.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Look forward to seeing your track day videos on that beast!
Ha ha, were on the same wavelength. I've been looking at the Busa wondering how am I going to mount my GoPro without buggering up the plastics. On the Wing, I could clamp the camera down on all sorts of appendages. I'm going to have to get creative with the Busa.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:congrats:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just curious, what was the chain life like on these machines? I know my 750F Honda would use a chain a year. :shock:
About 10-15k before a chain and rear sprocket change if riding hard. Easily double that if you're easy on that throttle. So nice on the Wing with no chain slap.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here she is devoid of vinyl. Bare as a baby's bottom.

IMG_4676.jpg

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Trackday!

Awesome motor. Third gear all day long, never had to shift. BTW, 3rd gear hits 150 mph! The pic is of 'Riverside' taken at 130-140 mph and dragging knee. Actually, if I clicked into second and opened the throttle in some of the slower corners, the bike would powerslide and leave me with pucker factor and a potential high side. Enough of playing with the stock OEM tires. Race slicks next time. VP2_3267.jpg

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
That is alot of bike to be wrestling on a track.

Have you ever reversed the shifting? Suzuki's are easy to do. Then you can shift down through the gears in the middle of the corner. Both my gsxr and tl are reverse shifting, which I could change the wing too.

Helped me when I was younger doing the track thing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts