GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new shop manual I ordered off of EBay from Hudson Valley Cycle. $60. I go through this site on a daily basis and usually get my advice from the vast knowledge base that is assembled here. My fog lights, foot pegs, back rest ( one of the best additions to the bike) and the many maintenance tips I've gotten from the forum members are an invaluable resource to me and I'm sure to many others that watch this board. So the advice to get a shop manual is also much appreciated and once I stated leafing through it made me want to go out to the garage and tear something apart. A big thank you to all who take the time to post your tips and videos and your advice on all things Goldwing. It is very much appreciated. Thanks again.

Lou

·
Registered
466 Posts
mee too

Just got my new shop manual I ordered off of EBay from Hudson Valley Cycle. $60. I go through this site on a daily basis and usually get my advice from the vast knowledge base that is assembled here. My fog lights, foot pegs, back rest ( one of the best additions to the bike) and the many maintenance tips I've gotten from the forum members are an invaluable resource to me and I'm sure to many others that watch this board. So the advice to get a shop manual is also much appreciated and once I stated leafing through it made me want to go out to the garage and tear something apart. A big thank you to all who take the time to post your tips and videos and your advice on all things Goldwing. It is very much appreciated. Thanks again.

Lou
I second that motion

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts

Lou
Great! What year is your bike and which manual did you get? There's a few mistakes in them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Manual

I have a 2010 with comfort, audio, nav. The front of the manual says 2006-2010 GL1800/A. Inside has a date of issue: May,2010. I'm not worried if there are mistakes in it, that's what I got you guys for, lol.

I do like to do my own maintenance and am just floored with the amount of info there is for this bike. Started leafing through it as soon as I got it into the binder. I'm now even more impressed with the bike and especially the knowledge of you guys on the forum. Looking forward to digging in to it.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
....once I stated leafing through it made me want to go out to the garage and tear something apart.
Tho once you start tearing into it and find out how tightly every thing is packed in and how difficult it is to get at anything to do anything, your feelings may change. Like taking off a panel that requires removing 10 nuts of 6 different sizes and getting them back in their right holes. And not lose any of them.

Firm believer in that a person should have some manuals of the vehicle they own. Even if you don't plan on working on it yourself, it helps to explain issues to the service center. The tech is probably working from the same book you are.

And many of the issues can be relatively easy to deal with. A few minor maintenance tasks can save the price of the book. Even tho the books may have errors they still have great value.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tho once you start tearing into it and find out how tightly every thing is packed in and how difficult it is to get at anything to do anything, your feelings may change. Like taking off a panel that requires removing 10 nuts of 6 different sizes and getting them back in their right holes. And not lose any of them.

Firm believer in that a person should have some manuals of the vehicle they own. Even if you don't plan on working on it yourself, it helps to explain issues to the service center. The tech is probably working from the same book you are.

And many of the issues can be relatively easy to deal with. A few minor maintenance tasks can save the price of the book. Even tho the books may have errors they still have great value.

I'm pretty handy with a wrench and have done most all my vehicle repairs myself. Not to say I haven't spent an hour or two fishing a bolt or nut out of an impossible spot where mean old Mr Gravity chose to deposit it. But this Goldwing is a different animal and having the manual is a must on this beast. More pages in this manual than there is in my truck manual. But once you dig in it starts to get easier, at least that's how I usually feel about it.

I figure just changing the air filter will be worth the price I paid for the manual. The rest is icing on the cake.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Shop manual is very helpful when performing medium to difficult tasks. It never hurts to have one. However, a good set of DVDs can also be helpful :lol:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DVD's

Cruisman, your dvd's are next on my wish list. I've seen portions of them and they would in my opinion make it much easier for anybody to tackle most tasks on the Wing. A big thank you to you and all the guys who take the time to make it easier for the rest of us. :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
......... So the advice to get a shop manual is also much appreciated and once I stated leafing through it made me want to go out to the garage and tear something apart............

Lou
LOL, We hooked a big one this time guys. :lol:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Shop manual is very helpful when performing medium to difficult tasks. It never hurts to have one. However, a good set of DVDs can also be helpful :lol:
Hey Cruiseman...... do you know where I could get a good set of those DVD's???!!!! :joke::lol::lol::joke:

PS..... That sure is a shameless plug to try to drum up some business. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts