GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread on the GWRRA Newsgroup asking if anyone would be interested in software that lets you keep track of important information about your bike.

So many people responded so positively and enthusiastically that I decided it was worth the effort to develop such a software program.

Many people offered suggestions for features the software should have. Some mentioned other similar software already available. Based on everyone's input, and my evaluation of the strengths and weaknesses of the other software, I designed what I hope is a great combination and balance of features, price, ease of use, and usefulness.

I was going to name the software 'MyBike', but several people pointed out that the software could and should be used for any kind of vehicle, so I decided to call the software 'MyRide'.

Anyway, 'MyRide' is now available: Download and Install MyRide by Clicking Here

I know that many of you (wisely) are careful about what you download from the internet, so let me assure you:

1) Doing business as RAD Software, I have been distributing software since 1987 (doesn't seem like over 15 years-- time sure does fly by...).

2) My software HAS NEVER contained unasked-for code such as system modifications, viruses, trojans, cookies, backdoor monitoring, spyware, adware, and so on.

3) Any installation file I distribute also includes a convenient one-click UNinstall option that completely removes any trace of my software from your computer's system files.

The evaluation version of MyRide is full-featured and fully functional-- it is not crippled in any way. You can use it as much as you want for up to 30 days, after which you can remove it, or order a registered version. You can order toll-free 24/7, or online, or regular mail. MyRide is only $15 (not a typo-- $15), and can keep track of up to 15 vehicles, which surely should be more than enough for most people.

If anyone is interested in an expanded version of MyRide (up to 100 vehicles), contact me and we'll make arrangements.

If this software sells well, I'm going to seriously consider developing a commercial version for fleets, small car lots, auto shops, and so on, that can handle up to 1,000 cars or more.

I have initially uploaded the MyRide installation file for installation by the users of the GWRRA newsgroup and this newsgroup only. I am not going to publicly release it, or post it to my web site, for at least a couple of weeks.

I hope all of you enjoy the software. In testing the software code during development, I started entering real-life information about my Gold Wing, such as a maintenance/repair log, a log of the accessories I've bought for the bike, and a list all the trips I've taken, etc. I'm finding that this really is a great way to keep all of this kind of information in one easy-to-find place. I hope you find it as useful as I have so far.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's initial strong support. I'm very interested to see the long-term response for this software.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...Rad
Blue '75 GL1000
Black '00 GL1500

GWRRA #146839
Blue Knights International
--------------------------
Download great software for free at RAD Software

·
Registered
837 Posts
I just downloaded it and it looks like a really good way to keep track of things. Sure wish I'd had something like this a few years back. I'll have time later to fill in some info and see what it really looks like.

Thanks Rad.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nice job on the software, only problem is after I entered all our accessories, now I could see right there in black and white how much we spent last year......ouch! :roll:

Looks like a nice way to keep everything in one place.

·
Registered
325 Posts
huh?

Did the download, cant get into the tab for maintenance and stuff, only the general veh info/$$ Paid @Purchase, and selling info.........

Bad download??

Take er easy

·
Registered
837 Posts
I thought the same thing Brian. After you add your info you have to save it. Then open one of your rides and you'll have access to the rest of the tabs.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Rad....This is really cool. You did a good job. I've got what info I had at hand on my bike, car, and Bronco typed in on it and it looks great. I like the way it keeps a running total of the cost. (i think) :lol:

I also like the fact that if you forget an entry, you can place it in later and it will place it correctly according to the date.

A job well done. Here comes my $15. It's well worth it. Even Susan is impressed.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GAtkins said:
What operating systems does this run on? Thanks.

Glenn
Sorry-- Should have said in the first place:

MyRide will run on any PC using Windows 95, 98, 2000, Me, NT, & XP.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: huh?

BrianSC said:
Did the download, cant get into the tab for maintenance and stuff, only the general veh info/$$ Paid @Purchase, and selling info.........

Bad download??

Take er easy
Brian-- As Jim noted, you have to enter and save a vehicle before you can access the 'maintenance', 'accessories', and 'trip' tabs for that vehicle.

Good point, though-- I think I'll add a message box that pops up if you try to access a disabled tab reminding you to first save and display a vehicle to access that tab. Would that help, you think?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Downloaded it and it workd fine on my XP PC. I've just started to add items to it, but it looks great. I'll be sending in my $15.00. A real bargin at that price. Also I do think an added pop up prompt to tell you tat you have to do something before a tab will work would make it very user friendly. Thanks for the hard work and good price. :wink:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rick M said:
Downloaded it and it workd fine on my XP PC. I've just started to add items to it, but it looks great. I'll be sending in my $15.00. A real bargin at that price. Also I do think an added pop up prompt to tell you tat you have to do something before a tab will work would make it very user friendly. Thanks for the hard work and good price. :wink:
Rick-- Thanks for the nice words. Glad to see that MyRide seems to be off to a good start.

The more I think about the 'Disabled Tabs', the more I think I'll show them enabled all the time, but remove the 'Add an Entry' button in those tabs if there is no vehicle being displayed at that moment. That way, you can see what's in those tabs when you first start using MyRide, but you can't do anything with them until you enter at least one vehicle. Thanks to everyone for the input...

·
Registered
36 Posts
full version

Once I pay for the full version of the SW, will it retain the information I have entered in the trial period (30 days)?

Peter...

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
time for a little wrinkle, when is this going to be available for use on a PALM PILOT

That way we can down load and up load info from the road?? We carry a Palm pilot all the time, If your taking a long trip, trying to remember everything would be tough w/o a PP

just a thought

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: full version

Slovak said:
Once I pay for the full version of the SW, will it retain the information I have entered in the trial period (30 days)?

Peter...
Yes, it will. You just install the registered version over the evaluation version you're using now, and you don't lose any of the data you've already entered, so don't let that slow you down! :D

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I just installed it and will be checking it out. But a couple of things come to mind.

One, if one does decide to buy the registered version, does that entitle them to free upgrades and/or versions? If so, will there be a way to sign up to be on an email list to be notified of them.

I like the fuel / milage / averages / totals page would be a nice addition I keep track of it in my mindless brain, but this way would have a hard copy of it if needed.

I would like the palm pilot idea, if I had one. Might have to see if I can get one from someone who has upgraded to a better version. Yea I know I would like one with all the bells and whistles but I dont want to spend alot of $$ then not use it. So if anybody has one and does not know what to do with it, then email me and let me know.

Otherwise, looks like a good program. I know it will be used and liked by many.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If one does decide to buy the registered version, does that entitle them to free upgrades and/or versions? If so, will there be a way to sign up to be on an email list to be notified of them.

Yes, and yes. :)

I like the fuel / milage / averages / totals page would be a nice addition I keep track of it in my mindless brain, but this way would have a hard copy of it if needed.

I would like the palm pilot idea, if I had one.

During the initial planning and discussion, fuel usage/averages/costs/etc. and Palm Pilot sync features were brought up, along with a lot of other good ideas. I wanted to find what I considered to be the best balance of features AND ease of use AND good price. As was mentioned elsewhere, there will always be those who want only a simple Excel spreadsheet, and at the other end those who want every possible data field and the kitchen sink, too. I went down the middle, and I hope everyone agrees that you get a lot of easy-to-use features for a great price.

Otherwise, looks like a good program. I know it will be used and liked by many.

Thanks again. I hope a lot of you find it useful.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just downloaded it too and it seems very easy to use.

I have a program call VRS that keeps fuel costs, consumption, averages figures and I would also like to see that here.

Kind of helps to see if there's something going on with the bike or the rider's right hand! :)

Paul H.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts