GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you looking for a really ultra small computer to take on the bike with you, there is a new one out on the market that looks interesting.

You can find it for sale on Amazon.com for about $1,700

Sony VAIO VGN-UX280P 4.5" Notebook PC
(Intel Core Solo Processor U1400, 1 GB RAM, 40 GB Hard Drive)

* Amazingly small micro PC fits in your hand--4.5 inch LCD touch screen and hidden keyboard
* 1.2 GHz Ultra Low Voltage Intel Core Solo U1400 processor, 40 GB hard drive, 1 GB RAM
* Tri-mode Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g), wireless Wide Area Network (WWAN) with Cingular SIM card, Bluetooth connectivity
* One built-in USB 2.0 port and Memory Stick slot; includes port replicator with three USB, one FireWire, Ethernet, VGA out, composite A/V out
* Microsoft Windows XP Professional

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
My son brought one home from work for me to play with. They are nice and small, just right for a bike. The screen is quite small and besides having a type of touchpad/joystick cursor control on the upper right corner and buttons on the left it also comes with a stylus like you have with a PDA. I had to really decrease the touchpad sensitivity to use it. The screen is so small that it is difficult to locate the cursor over objects.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I had one for about a week to evaluate for an application I am writing now. After the WOW factors wears off, you kind of realize it still has a way to go.

If Sony would add

1) Phone
2) Longer battery life
3) Dual core processor

If I were traveling these days and didn't need a full-size laptop, I would own one (I had to give the one back I had on loan)!

They also need to get the price under $1K.

Merry Christmas!

Shane

P.S. DL works on it except the screen size for a few of the dialogs because the Sony maxes out at 1024x600.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts