GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 2016 VFR1200X as a second bike the other day. Looking forward to getting it set up for a run at Tuk in a couple of years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Not sure I'd want to do off-road with that, but I bet it's a blast to ride on the street. Good luck!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Nice, looking for my 3rd.

Reactions: Cajunhog

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure I'd want to do off-road with that, but I bet it's a blast to ride on the street. Good luck!

Bike gets a bad review as the off road but is as capable or nearly as capable as the Africa Twin. Guys in UK go off road on them a lot. Of course bash plates etc... not talking true off roading. Dirt roads , fire roads. Understand the Dempster & Dalton Hwys are more than the average dirt road. However , as long as it’s dry all will go well. Years away from attempting so plenty of time to skill up in the bike locally on dirt roads. Don’t want to have to pick it up but at 6’2” 255 I could manage , especially with a riding partner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CarpeDiem

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Bike gets a bad review as the off road but is as capable or nearly as capable as the Africa Twin. Guys in UK go off road on them a lot. Of course bash plates etc... not talking true off roading. Dirt roads , fire roads. Understand the Dempster & Dalton Hwys are more than the average dirt road. However , as long as it’s dry all will go well. Years away from attempting so plenty of time to skill up in the bike locally on dirt roads. Don’t want to have to pick it up but at 6’2” 255 I could manage , especially with a riding partner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do yourself a favor and put on some crash bars. You'll thank me when you drop it the first time. You can Fedex me a case of Coors Light with the money you save on repairs....and STILL be money ahead!>:)

BTW, I'm envious as heck! LOL!

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
What does TUK stand for???

You mentioned a run at TUK in your first post (???)

Nice bike by the way....enjoy!

Ronnie

Reactions: Cajunhog

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Do yourself a favor and put on some crash bars. You'll thank me when you drop it the first time. You can Fedex me a case of Coors Light with the money you save on repairs....and STILL be money ahead!>:)

BTW, I'm envious as heck! LOL!

LOL! You’ve got it! Silver Bullet it is ! Bars will be part of the set up. Took care of most of the smaller less expensive farkles on the first pass (risers, hugger, grip puppies, and several other $100 or less accessories. Bars, skid plate, Cruise control & seat will be next (has the worst OE seat I’ve ever sat on in 40 years of riding), then eventually top case and panniers.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What does TUK stand for???

You mentioned a run at TUK in your first post (???)

Nice bike by the way....enjoy!

Ronnie

Tuktoyaktuk, NT, Canada

Currently the only place in North America you can ride/drive all the way to the ocean. Alaska you can get close but have to finish on some kind of guided tour, or so I’ve read.

Reactions: Kiwi
1 - 9 of 9 Posts