GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Well a while back I asked...I think, about storage sheds and what people suggested for them. Someone suggested a plastic shed made by a company called Thinking Outside. I saw the same exact shed up in Casper Wyoming at Sams club. Well finally yesterday, the wife and I got a Uhaul trailer and headed up there to get it. Got back around 4 this morning and slept until 1pm. Got outside and started working on the shed around 3 and finished at 6 or so.

The shed is about 6 feet 7 inches wide, 11 feet long and 7 feet tall. It has two sunroofs and a bay area with a bay window.

It looked kind of wobbly as I was putting it up and while its not totally stiff, it does sway from side to side, but the company built the shed with this in mind for those of us in windier conditions....like wyoming. So, they built a space in the braces in the middle which allow one to slap a 2by4 onto on the inside by the roof. Im probably going to do this to stabilize it, if only I had some tools, lol.

Well, I wanted to see if the bike would fit in there, which I was certain it would anyways, but I hopped on and drove her in there. It is a tight squeeze, at most 2 inches on each side. But I drove in and was able to get the tire under the bay shelf. Ill be able to even stand the bike up on its center stand in the winter. However, while the floor is sturdy, and thick...it is not a complete dense piece of plastic underneath so methinks the pegs will eventually poke through with the weight of the bike on such a compact area. Im going to try and figure out if I can get some plywood and put underneath there (other ideas?) to help sread the weight around.

I dont have a digital camera yet but here is the link for the site. I got the deluxe version.

http://thinking-outside.com/SmartShedDeluxe.php

G

·
Nice looking box, Zig. How about a pair of those rubber furniture/table leg pads. You could even spread them further with a flattened tin can or piece of sheet metal.
Don't forget the fuel stabilizer. :wink:

Pat

·
Registered
609 Posts
good looking number 2 home!!
what you need to do is put down at least 3/4 or 1 inch plywood flooring for extra strengh and more weight to hold down the building.
note:: do not use press particle plywood as it will buckle, warp and after a period of time it will start falling apart from moisture.
ride safe,
edmund

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I'd use Marine Grade plywood. It costs a little more, but will last forever. You have to assume it will get wet in there.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Better yet, find a local shop that does metal fabrication they can cut you a steel plate about 2' square.
I did this when I had a shed in Wisconsin. Makes it much eaiser to use center stand. Plywood does not
last very long as the kick stand makes holes in the floor.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I would suggest plywood over the entire floor and a metal plate under the center-stand feet. Most hardware stores or home improvement centers will have small sections of metal plate.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
TSC (Tractor Supply Company) sells 3/4" rubber flooring in 4' x 6' sheets that may work well to add support to the floor, help distribute the weight more evenly and add some weight. It will still wear out after a few years, but it is something to consider. I have used it for flooring in various environments for quite a while. Some is now over 15 years old.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Get some anchors that screw into the ground and run a couple straps over the top to hold it down. My neighbor had one of these sheds and earlier this summer the wind got ahold of it and a piece of it took out a window in my house. His insurance fixed everything but just wanted to give you a heads up on what can happen. They are nice storage sheds. Hope it works well for you.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The unit appears to be made from HDPE. That is guaranteed to stress crack. In other words it WILL fail where the kickstand touches the floor. That means center stand and the side stand. Do as someone suggested and put down a layer of plywood (3/4" +) with a piece of 14 guage sheet metal or heavier screwed to the plywood in the area where the stands touch.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Ziggy, I have the exact same shed in my backyard the 15 foot one.
I hope you have a sturdy level base for the foundation first.
make sure you put down some pressure treated plywood down on the floor. i have some 3/4 inch plywood on my floor for an antique '76 goldwing I keep in there..

It will start to warp so keep your receipts handy you may need them
across the top inside the shed is an area to install 2x4's for extra support,
not a bad idea..

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everyone for your ideas. I think Im going to go with the plywood idea. So far, the bike is just sitting on its side stand in there and I don't see the floor giving away to it yet...not that Im planning on keeping it like that. Probably going to go with the plywood and some metal idea to spread out the weight as much as possible.

Also, the shed DOES have anchor points, I just need to find them. Looks like it has 8 points in the shed (?) that I can drill into for some anchor bolts. Its gotta be more complicated than that, I just am not sure how.

Also going to get the 2x4 to slap in there and sturdy it up from side to side. Going front to back, its pretty rigid, but not going from side to side yet. Someone mentioned insurance...yeah good idea, Ill have to hook that up to the house insurance because im kind of worried about the shed if the bike isnt in there and its windy....might want to take a stroll around the block or something.

I did contact the manufacturer about the warping issue because someone brought that up. Turns out that it has a 10 year warranty against such things so Ill look into that as well.

The foundation its resting on is...dirt. Sort of loose, pretty sandy / rocky, but alas, I have no other choice. was going to put some class five down or something but (crossing fingers), I think this should work because its pretty wide and has a flat bottom. I figger if my house can rest on this junk, the shed should have no problem.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Looks to be a nice shed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts