GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to pick up my '04 GL1800 after having Wilbers shock and fork springs installed. Ride height is up 1" front and rear, steel pads had to be welded onto the feet of the side and center stands. Bike is higher but I am still able to get front half of both feet on the ground. The shock is much stiffer, has adj ride height and hydraulic preload adj which hooks up to the Wings motorized unit with a minor modification. Fork springs are straight rate rather than progressive but feel much better to me than OEM. Due to some salt, sand, water and occ ice patch, I wasnt able to really test it out today, but so far the handling is very confidence inspiring and I am sure the pegs will not drag easily if at all(on the street). I am looking forward to really wringing this thing out ASAP--Carl

·
Registered
300 Posts
new suspension

hey sounds like you got it just the way you like it .well have to get together and ride soemtime i just live over the hill from you in ballston lake near 146 and balltown rd...

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
I am supposed to get my new 3rd (and final) generation Work Performance shock next week. It will be interesting to compare notes.

From your description, I think the Works shock does not raise the suspension nearly as much as the Wilbers. It only raises it a little. The engineer took it out on the track last week and then came back and made some final tweaks to the shim stack for the high speed dampening circuit. I'll let you know how it works out when I get it back. I was impressed with the first version they sent me, so I suspect that this new one is only going to be better. I had to work pretty hard to drag anything with the Works shock installed, as the sag is reduced by about 1/2 inch or more.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
suspension

I had progressive fork springs and rear spring installed at the hoot last June. My bike rides and handles like it's on rails. I'm 6 ft 3 240 pounds, and have not dragged in the corners since.
JD
:biker:

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
Carl.....I was curious on how many miles you put on your '04 before you made the change? I'd also like to know what problems you found with the original suspension so early?

TIA....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Red, I had 4500 miles when I changed the suspension. The problem for me was inadequate cornering clearance. The bike handles very well and could be riddern more aggressively in the twisties were it not for the pegs which drag early and often. I havent been able to really test the new set up yet, but the bike definitely handles differently and I think it will be much harder to drag the pegs now. Fred H. I have been following your thread on the Works shock. It sounds like this may ultimately be the better option if Works can mate the shock more seamlessly to the Wings motorized preload adjuster. Are you also getting adjustable high and low speed compression damping? Wilbers offered that but I opted out of that. There was another hose and cannister to deal with and for my purposes adj rebound damping, ride height and preload is complicated enough. So far the thing really feels good. Very strong spring, damping feels good, bike is up there, corners beautifully and it seems like it will take a lot of lean to scrape the pegs. Oh, by the way, I am 5'7' and weight 165lbs. and have ridden sport bikes for many years, street and track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts