GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode with the New Sweden (Shamog, NJ) BMW riders last weekend on a ride they call the NS450. It was 225 miles to Bloomsburg, Pa and another 225 miles back to NJ. Check in was at Cycle Gear on RT 70 in Cherry Hill, they seem to have a well stocked store with riding gear ranging from boots to helmets. The route seemed a bit complicated, there were 4 pages of directions for the 1st day - my brother and I labeled the route the 225 turns. To be honest we got confused 10 minutes after we left Cherry Hill. In order to make the 225 mile 1/2 run, it seemed like we were racking up miles in the developments. We tagged on to riders with a gps and they got lost - I **** canned the directions and went our own route to Bloomsburg. WE followed Rt 206 to I-195, 29 to 32, then 611 up toward Portland. We crossed over to NJ to have hotdogs at Johnny"s and then made it back to Pa on 611 until we hit Rt 940 - which turned out to be a great road. We didn't hit much traffic and had no rain while riding on Saturday. Found the campground everyone was staying at and picked a spot in the field . Dinner was served at 6 pm and there was sooo much food - I think I heard 50 people showed up for the ride. BBQ beef, pork, chicken, beans, broccoli, mac and cheese. There was plenty to eat and it tasted really good. It was good that they had a large tent set up for dinner because it started to rain by 6:30 and was steady until about 8:30. They had a 50/50 drawing and door prizes. They had so many door prizes that almost everybody eventually got something. My brother ended up with a modular helmet and I won a gortex cleaning kit. There were really nice gifts that they offered. The campfire started blazing right after the door prizes. Liquid spirits and stories were exchanged and the fire roared. The rain started again around 10:30 and riders made their way back to tents and called it an evening. It rained most of the night, which made sleeping very peaceful to me, my brother hated the rain though. Many were up at the crack of dawn, showers at this campground were poor - had to pay and very difficult to even get them to work. The morning coffee crew was more like Laurel and Hardy routine, very entertaining. I think they eventually got a liquid they are calling coffee brewed. Danish and juice for breakfast - full service is what they called it. It was fresh and the juice was cold, so no complaints from me. My brother rode up from Virginia to go on this ride with me, so we where on the road again by 0815 and heading south, We rode over to Pa Rt 11 and followed the Susquehanna River. Could not follow the route NS provided because my brother needed to go 1 way and me another.
Over all, the NS450 was a good weekend. I had the pleasure of eating dinner with Brian and Shira from Backroads mag - 2 very nice people with a passion for riding. If you haven't read the Backroads mag, do yourself a favor and find one. The BMW group are great guys and ladies too who seem to enjoy riding and probably tell as many stories as Goldwing riders do. They love their bikes as much as we do and have a passion for riding. I would ride with them again, even though the route wasn't the best I've been on - but their company made it worth while.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sounds like you had a very nice trip including the trip to Hot Dog Johnny's I always stop there when I'm around that area and it's a nice place to meet & greet other bikers also.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts