GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heads up on this. I sure wasn't aware of it. It might save some lives. Hopefully so. But picture yourself pulling into the left lane (if one is available) or suddenly slowing from seventy to fifty in the right lane while the guy behind you is rubber-necking the scene. This law is going to cause a lot of serious rear-enders...

From Houston Chronicle: ...The law, which took effect Sept. 1, requires motorists to slow down by at least 20 mph or change lanes if possible when they pass police and emergency vehicles pulled to the side of the road with their warning lights flashing...According to the Department of Public Safety, the law requires drivers to "either vacate the lane closest to the stopped emergency vehicle if the road has multiple lanes traveling in the same direction or slow down 20 miles per hour below the speed limit. (If the speed limit is below 25 mph the driver must slow down to 5 mph.)"

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Yup we have it

We have that law already in Michigan. We havent had it long, maybe a year ? But thats a guess ! It's a pretty good one for Law enforcement, and there hasnt been a big deal made out of it hear. People should be paying attention when there going 70+ miles an hour. I've ran into the situation twice in my jeep, people tend to do both, slow down and move over. You kinda sit up and take notice when everyone starts pulling over to the left. Not a bad law at all IMHO :s27:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm not quite sure I agree about it being a "good law", the way it is written.

Traffic flowing along at 70+ mph, in a 65 zone. First guy in line, in the hammer lane, sees an emergency vehicle on the left shoulder and hits his brakes to slow to 20 below the posted limit - 45 mph.

Can you just picture the cars right behind him sliding all over the place, and bailing into the next lane without looking first?

Roy

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
they have a similar law in indiana that i found out about the hard way

i was in my car

the trooper had a car pulled over--but no cop lights on

then all of a sudden the car that he had pulled over comes into my lane

i almost creamed them

cop pulls me over and lectures me and acts like i am drunk, give sme the breathalizer and all

i got a warning

of course i asked the trooper why the guy in the car didnt get a ticket for not signaling and just pulling on to the interstate

he couldnt answer that one

loren

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
Move Over Act

Here in Fl it is called the Move Over Act but while the gist is the same the wording has caused some confusion. If you read our law it is not an either/or propostition. On 2 lanes in the same direction you are required to move over to the opposite lane of the emergency vehicle if it is safe to do so. There is no provision requiring you to slow in this case only on 2 lane bi-directional roads does the slow down requirement kick in.

It again seems as if our legislature let the feel goodness of passing such a law bypass their logic and thinking processes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds good from here (in Louisiana). It gets real excitin' when you have a vehicle pulled over on an Interstate Hwy and an 18 wheeler zips by at 70 - close enough to reach out and touch. Not picking on 18 wheeler drivers - most do move over, but boy - the ones that don't.....

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's a bad law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been run off the road twice by semi's moving into the left lane without seeing me.
Both times I was in the left lane on the interstate passing a truck. Without warning the truck veered into my lane. Honking did no good so off I went onto the shoulder.

After some thought and review here is what I believe happens:

The trucker is probably going a little faster than the speed limit for the truck.

He sees the police...the biker's view of the police is blocked by the truck...the trucker panics..."OH No A POLICEMAN!!"...and over he comes without seeing me.

I have been much more cautious passing trucks since these events...I move around them quickly...If I get a ticket, well I just get a ticket...that is better than being put in a ditch or guard rail.

NOTE: I never...NEVER...ride in a lane with a concrete barrier with a truck next to me and no escape route.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Shooter Indy said:

I have been run off the road twice by semi's moving into the left lane without looking.

I'd have to differ with your thoughts that it is a bad law....by your own statement it's the truckers "not looking" that are the bad thing.
Like someone else posted 'it gets real exciting' when you have someone stopped on traffic and a truck, cage, or even a bike passes you doing 70 at touching distance. More officers are killed every year from traffic than from gunfire.
I can see where those driving with cranial-rectum-itis could cause problems for all of us...whether we have this law or not.

Orangebandit3

:eek:w1: for fun :cop2: for work

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I agree with Indy IT'S A BAD LAW

It's fine for "light" traffic, what are you going to do during holidays when it's bumper-to-bumper at 75 MPH, where that SEMI SUPPOSE to go???

Personally, I NEVER ride behind or next to a Semi. If I'm coming up on one on the interstate I go around them as fast as possible~~~~not just to speed, but because I don't want to be next to 80,000 lbs moving at 75 mph for any longer than I have to be. I'd rather get a ticket than become road kill. then ya-all can move over for ME :D :D :D

In light traffic, it's no big deal and I would consider moving over just out of common courtesy, more than anything else

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
O.K., here we go. I am a Class 8 (big truck) truck driver by profession. I move very large, very heavy loads every day. The loads I haul are routinely at or over 120,000 lbs. I have, in the past, also driven tow trucks and roadside service vehicles. I also ride my bike to work almost every day, today included, so I have been/am on both sides of the issue. I take a little bit of exception to the notion that it's all the truck drivers fault when he changes lanes into your lane and narrowly misses hitting you. My question is: where were you riding/driving in relation to the side of the truck? If you can't see his pearly whites in his mirror, he can not see you. Why in the name of Sam Hill are you riding along side of the truck to begin with? Have you ever seen what happens if a truck tire blows and the forces generated by 100 psi behind flying schrapnel? The next question is: how many little vehicles (let's face it, 2 or 4 wheels, to a truck, you're little) have you seen pass a truck when he has his signal on? Be honest, have you done it? Sometimes, when hauling a 12' or wider load, there has been times when I was forced to simply start moving over regardless to avoid hitting a construction crew truck or disabled vehicle because everyone is intent on getting past my truck before I move over to give the guy on the shoulder a chance. A lot of the times, the 4 wheelers just won't give up the space until they're forced to. Please think the next time you won't let a truck over that it might be your family member that is standing on the white fog line while changing a tire. While we're on the subject of brain dead moves, how often have you seen someone, or done it yourself, see a space in front of a truck and fill it just because they think the truck is slow so they are going to save themselves at least 2 seconds getting home from work? That driver has left that space as a cushion so he doesn't cream your entire family because someone sees that cop sitting on the shoulder and slams on the brakes. Well, you just filled his safety cushion. Guess who's going to come out on the short end of the stick? Please don't do that anymore, I don't want to have to live with that on my mind the rest of my life. I take great pride in the fact that I've had my commercial drivers license since 1982 and haven't had a moving violation or accident. Are there idiot truck drivers out there? You bet! Are there idiot 2 or 4 wheeler drivers out there? I'll leave that answer to you.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Well said Duane. As a rule, I do not speed. I make an exception to that when passing a truck. If he is under the limit I will be several mph over. It goes along with the cushion you mention. The less time I am beside him means less time for him to hurt me. I will never match speed and stay in the blind spot. I will never pass when I don't have an excape route.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Duane and OrangeBandit,

I edited my post. It was unfair of me to say "without looking". Bikes are pretty hard to see...most truck drivers are professional...so I'll give the drivers the benefit of the doubt and assume they glanced over and didn't see me.

My point however remains the same. It's a bad law.

The law forces a truck driver...or spacey teenager on a cell phone...to change lanes...if possible, in a hurry...any statistics on how many accidents that has caused.

I never stay next to a truck...if at all possible...that isn't safe...but I do go around them if they are going 55 and the speed limit is 65.

I feel for the officers that are so close to the cars flying by them. When I see an officer with someone pulled over, just beyond a hill or curve I often wonder if the violation they are citing is worth the risk of death they or I may face by a routine traffic stop.

All that said, I wanted to warn others of my experiences and help them avoid similar situations.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Shooter Indy said:

I have been run off the road twice by semi's moving into the left lane without seeing me.

I've lost several friends at accident scenes over the years. I can guarantee that sometime during this shift I will be on the freeway working a wreck and at least one jerk will squeeze in at the last second and barely miss my Fire Engine. He/she will also be travelling at a high rate of speed. It happens nearly every shift. If this saves the life of just one firefighter or police officer it's not a bad law,

IT'S A GREAT LAW!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Shooter, I've taken a deep breath or two, I've calmed down a bit. Sorry for unloading like that, I really didn't mean it to be personal to you, but more as a tool to try to explain how it is for us on the other side. I was going to delete or edit my response as well, but decided instead to try to explain it's nothing personal towards you, apoligize if I got too testy, and leave it up so maybe others won't get hurt. It's unfortunate, but true, some peoples kids won't do the right thing unless forced to, which is why laws like the one that started this get passed. People, please, use common sense, give disabled/stopped vehicles a little room, and have a healthy respect for the weight and size of those trucks. Him being wrong and you right won't make you any less dead if you tangle with him. Forgive me, Shooter?

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
Any law that isn't enforced enough to make an impact on the public cannot be called a good law. I can't tell you the number of times that I have been on the side of the road during a traffic stop and we have pulled completely off the pavement and still some yahoo will come close enough to suck the chrome off the mirrors.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Fireman Bill,

I hope the law saves the lives of many Public Service Employees.

I just hope it doesn't kill too many bikers.

As I was fighting to keep my bike on the apron and out of the ditch and away from the trucks I wasn't overly concerned about the traffic offender and the officer that stopped him...I was selfishly thinking I might die in just a few seconds.

Duane,

I was never offended...I have the utmost respect for the professional drivers...actually I feel a kind of common bond with them when we're sharing the highways I love to ride on.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
lets face it folks, 95% of the "big boys" are excellent at what they do. I have yet to come across a semi that DID NOT use their turn signals, unless it was an emergency (only seen one of those, and it was most exciting~~~~I'd be willing to bet the big rig driver was having fun to :D )

anyway, what this boils down to is common sense to bad you can't regulate that :eek:

this is going to turn into a "feel good law", like NYS cell phone law, no one is enforcing it :weeping:

But like I said before, if there is light traffic it is a curtesy thing, in heavy traffic, it won't work~~~it can't work.

Every time a LOE pulls someone over are they going to have a 'chase vehicle' so they can chase down the offending person??? or just get the licence plate number, and then prove the owner of the vehicle was the one driving :s9:

sorry, I don't mean to start a flame war or anything, but I don't get it~~~how is this going to be enforced

Jmac~~~~in need of enlightenment

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Enforcement ?

I really think this law was enacted to give the Law Enforcement officer at the scene a little added safety as well as Emerg. personel. And I also feel common sense will prevail. It just gives law enforcement another tool. Hey the guy/gal is on the side of the road , out in the open with no protection. Call it common courtesy if you will.
If you can't or don't have the room to move over, then just slow down. I really don't see a problem with it. Now ! If you want to talk problems with something ? Lets talk about mandatory SEAT BELTS ! That will crank my engines a bit ! LOL

·
Registered
343 Posts
We have this law in Indiana, and it seems to work well.
Having been on the road woprking emergencies for years, I like it. But pulling the big red trucks across the road and blocking all traffic is my favorite. A lot safer!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts