GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new tire put on my 02, it was a 250 all I could get, had 11,000 and probaly could have put another 5-6K on it, front wobble was getting worse, but nothing crazy. New tire all but eliminated wobble so I ascribe to the tire theory, my mechanic said GWs were known for this but it was within specs, I really like these dudes, Lake City, Florida, my point, give me a 250 any day, Iam happy

Greg

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Almost 12K on my D-250's and I'm happy with em. Maybe becoz I don't ride as agressively as some do, and I DO slow it down in inclement weather (50-55 MAX in the rain....sometimes slower like 45-50 on hiways if required).
Still No wobble.........

I'd like to try Bridgestones, but, my wear bars aren't even showing yet...so, we'll see. I guess it matters HOW you ride as well. :wink:

S

·
0 Posts
No offence Flame but Dunflops suck, can't get them off fast enough.
But hey if they work for you that's great :)

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I also like the D-250's.. they wear well.. and don't have the dreaded wobble or delamination like the Metzlers..

only 2 brand of tires I will put on my Wing are either Dunlop or Bridgestone..

cosmic

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strider said:
No offence Flame but Dunflops suck, can't get them off fast enough.
But hey if they work for you that's great :)
None taken, for a $140.00 + tax installed, Its hard not to change one prematurely for safety, I guess I should have mentioned in my original post it was the front tire. Also living where you live, I wonder if the temperature has anything to do with tires wearing out faster, it was 75 deg. on the ride home.

Greg

·
Registered
554 Posts
10,500 on my 250s and I am seeing some upping on the front tire but still no wear bars. They will stay on till my next big ride.

·
Registered
378 Posts
9,100 miles on my d250's so far so good. plenty of tread left. seems to ride just fine.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Just hit 10,000 on the original 250. Front is starting to cup...will change this Spring to the E3's or Stones

Although I had Stones on my Vulcan and hated them :?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Am at 10K miles as well on my OEM 250's Dunnies The front tire looks like its wearing out faster than the rear. :shock: If this is true it will be my first bike that wears out tires faster on the front than the rear.

No whobble! I just increased the air pressure to 41 psi from 38 psi on the front and 41 psi stays the same on the rear. Hopefully I'll get a tad better mpg on my ride to Daytona next week.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I know it can't just be me but I've got a little over 23,000 miles on my 250's and based on the people behind me I'm not exactly the slowest.

I ride back and forth to work(37miles one way) and weekends.
The wearbars are just begining to touch so they are coming off this weekend so I guess I gonna ask....how is it that everyone else changes them (reguardless of brand) so early?? :?

At an average of $160 a pop it could get really expensive real fast.

Dave

Dunlop mileage: :yes1:
Dunlop in wet : :no:

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I just don't know how you guys get such high tire mileages. You must ride totally different than I do. I am a tire pressure fanatic but still: My original OEM Dunlop 250's were worn out around 8k. I shouldn't have but on principle pushed them further all I could dare to a totally trashed 10k and changed 'em out. :shock:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I get the best milage and traction from the stones,i ride aggressivly and get around 13.000 on the front stone and it still has 2 or 3/32 left when i take it off,i dont totally wear out my tires,i just do not feel safe ridin to the limits of the machine on worn tires.OLE YELLER MNG PA

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have 16,000 on the front 250 and getting ready to replace. Some hands off wobble but no cupping. Only got 4100 out of the rear due to a nail. I didn't have any problem with them and would use them again if I had to.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I'm glad this old thread was resurrected. I have been wondering about the few accidents that I've read of on here that seem to have been caused by loss of grip (mainly on damp roads). Seems that the common thing on them was tires near (within a few thousand miles by the rider's estimate) the end of lifetime. Could it be that they were actually past design wet grip life? Could a harder, less grippy rubber be in the base layers?

I've only put about 4300 miles on my '06 since I bought it in early September, but I have a set of Hal's super deal Metz 880s ready to go on by the time I hit 10k, or sooner if I see the wear bars getting close. I don't ride in the rain much, but have to ride damp roads a lot since we are in the mountains (shaded turns stay damp all day sometimes), and I ride it to commute to work a lot.

Anyone have any info on the tire compound mixture as you get down through the tread?

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I like the Dunlop 250's... my present front tire has just a tad over 16,000 miles on it.. plenty rubber left.... i swapped out the rear at 9,000 miles
I picked up a screw that went thru the sidewall...
I bought a set of Stones when Hal had them on sale.. but would have preferred Dunlop ... but none were available..
we have plenty of wet weather here in the south.. never had any issues with riding in the rain... but i do have the good sense to slow down when the road is wet..

cosmic

·
Registered
386 Posts
I like the 250 mine had over 15,000 i could of got more but i just changed them before the riding season starts..i would of bought them again but Hal had such a good price on the metz i had to get them ..but if they dont last its back to the 250

·
Registered
203 Posts
I could have easily gotten 12 or 13K out of my front 250 with no problem but it had started to cup so I changed it out at 11k when I changed the rear tire. I never handling or wobble problems with the 250's as long as it was dry. In the wet, it felt like the rear tire was greased. Since I take the wing on further trips then any other bike I have owned, the chance of getting caught in the rain is far greater. Won't go back to the 250 because of that fact. Too bad because it was otherwise a good tire.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
It's a combination of how you ride and the load weight.
I ride hard and 2-up; my rear tires are at the wearbars at 6,000 miles usually. The front will go to 12K so it's 2 rears for every front.
Interstate riding yields more like 14K front & rear for me.
D250's don't cut it for mountain riding. Metzeler or Bridgestone only.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Teaser 1 said:
I just don't know how you guys get such high tire mileages. You must ride totally different than I do. I am a tire pressure fanatic but still: My original OEM Dunlop 250's were worn out around 8k. I shouldn't have but on principle pushed them further all I could dare to a totally trashed 10k and changed 'em out. :shock:
It's probably the concrete we ride on (Dallas&Houston). Asphalt is not as abrasive on the tires IMHO.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Teaser 1 said:
I just don't know how you guys get such high tire mileages. You must ride totally different than I do.
Individual riding style is probably the major factor in tire mileage. I run year round, which means lots of miles in cold and cool weather. Also I stick to interstates for most trips. Last pair of D250s had 26K on them when I spooned on a new set. I've run about 80K on D250s with no problems.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts